Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

37 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Ertz...not needed...spend the $$$$$ on corner. 

Right. Who needs a multiple time Pro Bowl tight end who averages 800+ yards per year over his career and has a Super Bowl ring, when you have guys like Tommy Sweeney and Jacob Hollister to scare opposing defenses?! 

GIF by Giphy QA

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Paul Costa said:

This screams their moving on from Beasley if Ertz is signed. If Beasley is there not enough touches for Knox, Hollister & Ertz. I’m sad to even say this but Beasley’s days are numbered in Buffalo 

That's a big leap to think Beasley is automatically gone regardless if Ertz is signed or not.  You want to stockpile weapons if you're serious about making a SB run this year!  Plain and simple.  You won't find an Ertz on the wire mid to late season.  He's your insurance for either Beasley or Sanders getting hurt.

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

No, I disagree that this FO has any hope of Knox being the long term answer for us. They made too many moves to suggest comfort here. I doubt Buffalo plans on running many Twin TE sets, sure it’s a nice wrinkle in the run game and play action but a bit conservative for us given Allen’s skill set.

Oh, okay.   I think they still have some hope for him, but you may very well be right.   I won't argue with you about that.  

Frankly, I was surprised that they didn't bring in more competition for him.  

Personally, I think TE is one of the least important positions on the team.   I think the fact that they didn't go after someone better at TE says to me that McDermott agrees with me.  Getting Sanders obviously was more important to the Bills than getting a TE.

4 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

FECB6343-C610-435C-93B2-F1932718571B.jpeg

Wow.  Still, I think that Ertz is just such a logical choice that I still expect it will happen.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, since79 said:

If my thought about Ertz is waiting it out until his wife plays in Olympics is correct. I was curious about the dates.  Bill camp starts 27th, practice 30th.   Women’s soccer 21st, if they go as far as gold medal game, Aug 5th.   If there is a signing it likely will be after their last game.   At this point it may be about optics to the fans,  if he signs and does not report or we let him off hook.  It’s more acceptable for a guy to hold out to the fans, to not report, to go to olympics would be indefensible.  This may be a reason we do not see any movement now.

There is no family allowed at this Olympics, he won't be there.

My first and last contribution to an Ertz thread.

Ertz not happening for now but I think a deal gets done in the coming weeks. A better offer simply isn’t coming and the Bills offer of likely a mid round pick is probably the best the Eagles can or will do. It is just a matter of will another team swoop in or will it play out like we all hope and the Eagle cave.

5 hours ago, Billsrhody said:

If Ertz takes the 2020 targets from John Brown, Knox, Kroft & Smith, that's 110+ targets that would otherwise be going to lesser receivers in 2021. I don't see how that isn't an upgrade for us this year. 

No way in He🏒🏒 does Ertz get anywhere close to that number of targets nor should he.

He might get Krofts and maybe some of Knox’s targets ~40 targets.  

The Brown targets and then some will be taken up by Sanders - a significantly better receiver than Ertz.

I would imagine Hollister also gets some targets along with Knox/Sweeney.

Even if Ertz comes in - unless Beasley decides to opt out - you have 4 WRs that are better receivers than Ertz and will be used more in the passing game.  Ertz also was not a great blocker in Philadelphia- so my guess would be he gets limited snaps as they used the TE in a pass blocking role - not a strength of Ertz.

I think this is mostly smoke because I don’t think Ertz really fits with the offense and if they bring him in - it takes snaps from Beasley more than anyone else and I prefer Beasley as the chain mover.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, dje85 said:

Yay! Another Zach Ertz thread!! 

At this point if they don't eat contract and take a 6th rounder or less Pass. The dude isn't showing up to OTA'S / training camp and will force a cut soon. 

HIS QUARTERBACK IS CARSON WENTZ... maybe that has something to do with it??????

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1