Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Only 10 pages? C'mon people, this is embarrassing. Training camp is only a month away and this is the best we can do? 

It’s only 6 hours so far in the offseason. The trainers will tell you it’s important to properly warm up and stretch before getting into heavy activity. Give us a chance, I believe in our crowd! We can DO THIS!   :)

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s only 6 hours so far in the offseason. The trainers will tell you it’s important to properly warm up and stretch before getting into heavy activity. Give us a chance, I believe in our crowd! We can DO THIS!   :)

Yes we can .. Yes we can .. Yes we can !!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

If my thought about Ertz is waiting it out until his wife plays in Olympics is correct. I was curious about the dates.  Bill camp starts 27th, practice 30th.   Women’s soccer 21st, if they go as far as gold medal game, Aug 5th.   If there is a signing it likely will be after their last game.   At this point it may be about optics to the fans,  if he signs and does not report or we let him off hook.  It’s more acceptable for a guy to hold out to the fans, to not report, to go to olympics would be indefensible.  This may be a reason we do not see any movement now.

4 minutes ago, since79 said:

If my thought about Ertz is waiting it out until his wife plays in Olympics is correct. I was curious about the dates.  Bill camp starts 27th, practice 30th.   Women’s soccer 21st, if they go as far as gold medal game, Aug 5th.   If there is a signing it likely will be after their last game.   At this point it may be about optics to the fans,  if he signs and does not report or we let him off hook.  It’s more acceptable for a guy to hold out to the fans, to not report, to go to olympics would be indefensible.  This may be a reason we do not see any movement now.

Is he even allowed to attend the Olympics? There may be an exception for immediate family, but they are seriously restricting attendance. 

• Agree 1

I feel like people have unrealistic expectations for what Ertz is at this point. He's a catch-and-get-tackled player. He offers next to nothing after the catch, and he's not a very good blocker. If you feel that Knox is about to break out, adding Ertz and taking reps away from Knox might not be the best thing.

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

Here's what I don't get:

Zach Ertz has had consistently excellent production his entire career. From 2014 to 2019, in order, he posted the following yardage totals:

1163 (Also set the all time single season receptions record for a TE with 116)

Last year, he had a bad year, yes. HOWEVER, he played through injuries, not to mention team dysfunction, coaching turmoil, and the complete collapse of Carson Wentz. 

So now, because he had ONE down year, he's toast? He's not worth a darn?!

He's 30 years old! Not 35 or 36, but 30. Guys like Greg Olsen and Tony Gonzales played well into their late 30s. Travis Kelce is 31, and I'm sure nobody would say HE'S finished.

I just don't get it. Why do so many people think Ertz is shot? Why would so many people NOT want a guy who's last five seasons (not counting 2020) would be the most statistically productive five seasons by a Bills tight end EVER? If you're just all-in on Knox, or you somehow don't think a guy who averages over 800 yards receiving a year and has a Super Bowl ring can add anything to our team, then fine. I don't really get it, but fine. But if your reasoning is that he's somehow "finished" or in serious decline because he had one down year? I think you're crazy.

It’s hilarious isn’t it?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I feel like people have unrealistic expectations for what Ertz is at this point. He's a catch-and-get-tackled player. He offers next to nothing after the catch, and he's not a very good blocker. If you feel that Knox is about to break out, adding Ertz and taking reps away from Knox might not be the best thing.

Do you know who our starting TE is?!?! At least Ertz can catch...😉

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

SB teams dont RELY on unproven skilled players to finally click.  if it happens great, we now have a better rotation.  the room for error between AFCCG and SB winner is so narrow!  GMs make the moves to put us over the top.  Hollister/Knox are in no way Gronk/Kelce mold players

Neither is Ertz though

Simply put any weapon that gives you a greater chance of winning needs to be acquired. If he gives us a 25% chance of winning a game we may otherwise have lost it’s a success.  That difference is maybe playoffs or not which could be Lombardi or not 

I doubt we will be landing a big Defense game changer at this point so go for it. Zero down side from my perspective.  

7 hours ago, White Linen said:

This is a no brainer, we should be.

Now come to Buffalo and be the best version of yourself.

I mean it is a no brainer...play in a loaded offense with lots of talent surrounding you where you don't need to be "the man", just another complementary piece...

Bills probably working on lowering his cap hit is what is taking so long.

I think it's hilarious that folks piss and moan about adding another above average weapon on offense.  How many years did the Bills suffer with lower talent - in part - because they didn't want to come to Buffalo and get thrown at by... who??  Finally we have a QB who can actually throw the ball and win games - oh and throw a LOT!  I want as many quality targets for him to throw at as we can afford.  You always have to plan for injuries and hope they don't happen of course, big ones anyway.  If Beane says we can afford to maybe overpay a little for yet another quality receiver at a position in need.  Sign me up!

Oh and that was my contribution towards 11 pages.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Disagree about what?   You think McBeane ae planning around the Super Bowl window closing?

No, I disagree that this FO has any hope of Knox being the long term answer for us. They made too many moves to suggest comfort here. I doubt Buffalo plans on running many Twin TE sets, sure it’s a nice wrinkle in the run game and play action but a bit conservative for us given Allen’s skill set.

Just now, Victory Formation said:

No, I disagree that this FO has any hope of Knox being the long term answer for us. They made too many moves to suggest comfort here. I doubt Buffalo plans on running many Twin TE sets, sure it’s a nice wrinkle in the run game and play action but a bit conservative for us given Allen’s skill set.

I'd be willing to bet Daboll can dial up something interesting out of a 2 TE set....