Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

32 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Ertz would make the TE group better, but that's as far as I'll go with it.

Which by itself will be a very good thing for the offense, wouldn't you agree? With Beasley's status unknown, upgrading talent for the short to intermediate game will be important to exploit every part of the field. 

22 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

How would you feel if your boss demoted you and hired somebody to take your spot and paid them more than you? To top it off, they bring in competition and are paying them at a higher wage than you also. And the guy they brought in to compete with you is really good friends one of your other bosses. How would that make you feel? This is essentially what they’re trying to do with Ertz and Hollister. Knox will have to put up unbelievable numbers this year, which will be next to impossible if we land Ertz.

If that someone has proven to be better than you and your only claim is that "I will be better next year", then I will side with your boss

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ertz is less of a risk than Diggs was.  Diggs stopped showing up and was fined.  

Ertz would finally give us a good and reliable tight end.  Tight end is the biggest concern on offense....we got nothing from them last year.

Actually run blocking was the number one problem with the offense last year, pass catching… not really  a problem, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ertz had a bad season last year.  And I'm not a big fan of bringing in another guy >30 to go along with Sanders and Beasley.

But of course, the QB who was throwing to him last season was notably and publicly falling apart, so there's that.

that whole division stunk. 
mulligan?

2019 was far superior with 6 TD’s and well over 800 yards 

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Does this mean Knox got a D- in TEU?

E for Ertz 🙄 

;) 😆 

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I would be super disappointed in a deal for Ertz if the compensation is anything more than a late, late pick. 6th/7th round I would live with it as a reclamation project. 

I'll be kind of disappointed if they don't acquire him as a free agent, they don't need the contract.

43 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

How would you feel if your boss demoted you and hired somebody to take your spot and paid them more than you? To top it off, they bring in competition and are paying them at a higher wage than you also. And the guy they brought in to compete with you is really good friends one of your other bosses. How would that make you feel? This is essentially what they’re trying to do with Ertz and Hollister. Knox will have to put up unbelievable numbers this year, which will be next to impossible if we land Ertz.

Maybe. But bringing in a guy who has a big salary and having to give up an asset to get him, just so they can light a fire up Knox's ass? I am not sure if I buy that.

The only thing that would suck about this is if it took some reps away from Knox and others that will have a lot more career in front of them i would hate to see them get him and then get rid of a player like say Sweeney and him go to another team and turn out like Wyatt Teller did for the Browns .

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'll believe this one when it happens!

Why not wait till this discussion gets to at least 50 pages before saying that ???

47 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Right, but can’t you see the motivation here? This will be Knox’s third year, this is usually put up or shut up time. Don’t you think Beane and McD would have a good pulse on the TE position by now? Why all these moves if they feel good about Knox?

I'd suggest that feelings, more specifically feeling sorry about yourself, is not part of the growth mindset.

4 minutes ago, Putin said:

Why not wait till this discussion gets to at least 50 pages before saying that ???

I think 50 pages is setting a low bar. Let’s shoot for 50 THREADS!   :)

All things  in good time. Best case, we hold our water, we save a late draft choice that might be used to move around next draft, and we get him on a cheaper deal after they cut him. One can hope! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2