Voice of the Eagles Merrill Reese: the word is Bills are close to finalizing deal with Zach Ertz

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

There are certain topics that have been "done to death" here recently.  The horse is dead and has been thoroughly beaten and flayed. 

Everybody and his Cat have had more than enough chance to express their personal viewpoint - Over.  and Over.  And Over.  again. 

Every aspect of the situation has been discussed - several times.  Let me say that again:  EVERY ASPECT of the situation has been discussed, several times.

In theory, it should be fine, we should be able to talk about it.  In practice, people tend to lose their temper on these threads, start slinging insults back and forth.  Others get into General Political or Covid discussion, against Scott's pinned request (which is there for good reason). 

It makes work for the Mods who would rather be drinking beer and watching the 'maters grow, or napping.

If you're here long enough to start threads, you know to search before starting new topics, so if you don't already know there have been umpteen Beasley's Tweets and Ertz Trade threads that have all wound up locked for going "off the rails", you should be able to figure it out.

Start a new thread right after another has been locked, Be Very Careful - you take your chances on warnings/suspensions from Mods.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, I agree completely that they want a better tight end.  As I said, I think it's maybe the only position on the field where McBeane feel they have a problem.    I'm just saying that I expect they think that Knox still might be the long-term answer, that Ertz would only be a short-term solution, and that McBeane do not feel any urgency because the so-called Super Bowl window may be closing.  They don't believe in a Super Bowl window.

I couldn’t disagree any more strongly.

Bring in Ertz!

We all want Josh to continue his development.  The next step is taking what the defense gives him.  Well he needs the tools for that.  Josh needs the confidence that the 5-7 yard dump off that is wide open will be caught.

Daboll can use the weapon so that defenses won't cheat, as KC did, to take away the midrange game.

• Like (+1) 1

I think I may be one of the few ones that isn't pumped about this.

Not saying it would be bad.

But for me it comes down to 3 things:

1. I believe in Knox. His physical skill set is insane and tight ends usually take a few years to develop.

2. If you do go 12 personnel at times, that means less snaps for Beasley and Davis .

3. I actually like hollister as a pass catching tight end

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't see how having Ertz is somehow killing Knox's development. It's football, are we not all for competition at every position? 

It also isn’t like you can’t have two TE formations or play Knox as a fullback here and there for versatility sake.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think I may be one of the few ones that isn't pumped about this.

Not saying it would be bad.

But for me it comes down to 3 things:

1. I believe in Knox. His physical skill set is insane and tight ends usually take a few years to develop.

2. If you do go 12 personnel at times, that means less snaps for Beasley and Davis .

3. I actually like hollister as a pass catching tight end

How would you feel if your boss demoted you and hired somebody to take your spot and paid them more than you? To top it off, they bring in competition and are paying them at a higher wage than you also. And the guy they brought in to compete with you is really good friends one of your other bosses. How would that make you feel? This is essentially what they’re trying to do with Ertz and Hollister. Knox will have to put up unbelievable numbers this year, which will be next to impossible if we land Ertz.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

How would you feel if your boss demoted you and hired somebody to take your spot and paid them more than you? To top it off, they bring in competition and are paying them at a higher wage than you also. And the guy they brought in to compete with you is really good friends one of your other bosses. How would that make you feel? This is essentially what they’re trying to do with Ertz and Hollister. Knox will have to put up unbelievable numbers this year, which will be next to impossible if we land Ertz.

An NFL job is highly competitive at all levels I think the players understand this. So I don’t think guys like Knox are that shaken by competition.

Can someone explain to me why the Bills need to "Trade" any kinda draft pick for Ertz and his 8.5 mill deal? There is one team interested in Ertz - just one - The Bills. Why bid against yourself? Wait for the Eagles to release him (no way are they keeping him) and then sign him to a 1 year 5-6 mill deal. With the 2021 Cap where it is, no team is going to pay Ertz more than that. I woulda normally been wary of Belichick, but even he is not going to need a third FA tight end in one offseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsrhody said:

If Ertz takes the 2020 targets from John Brown, Knox, Kroft & Smith, that's 110+ targets that would otherwise be going to lesser receivers in 2021. I don't see how that isn't an upgrade for us this year. 

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's a fair point where Knox, Kroft, and Smith were concerned.

On the other hand, I believe the Bills feel that Sanders is at least equal to John Brown, who saw 52 targets last season.  And your comparison doesn't sound as impressive if you say "if Ertz takes the 2020 targets from Knox, Kroft and Smith, that's 58 targets....."

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

An NFL job is highly competitive at all levels I think the players understand this. So I don’t think guys like Knox are that shaken by competition.

Right, but can’t you see the motivation here? This will be Knox’s third year, this is usually put up or shut up time. Don’t you think Beane and McD would have a good pulse on the TE position by now? Why all these moves if they feel good about Knox?

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't see how having Ertz is somehow killing Knox's development. It's football, are we not all for competition at every position? 

#truth

Honestly if I’m Beane I’m on the phone with KC right now offering a 6th for Kelce.  That mammajamma has got to be killing their TE room.  In fact, I might not even offer that but I have ice in my brains. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's a fair point where Knox, Kroft, and Smith were concerned.

On the other hand, I believe the Bills feel that Sanders is at least equal to John Brown, who saw 52 targets last season.  And your comparison doesn't sound as impressive if you say "if Ertz takes the 2020 targets from Knox, Kroft and Smith, that's 58 targets....."

Based on Ertz's stats last season, this would result in 29 catches for about 270 yards and maybe a touchdown.

Just now, Victory Formation said:

Right, but can’t you see the motivation here? This will be Knox’s third year, this is usually put up or shut up time. Don’t you think Beane and McD would have a good pulse on the TE position by now? Why all these moves if they feel good about Knox?

I think that Beane and McDermott feel good about Knox's potential, but until a guy has actually produced, they want competition.  I think that goes for all positions, otherwise why bring in all those extra DLmen?

And even if a guy has produced, they may still bring in competition.

It's "Stand and Deliver" time for Knox.  If he's got the ability to turn potential into results, he needs to show it in practice and preseason and when he gets the opportunity, games.

52 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Yup, but where did I say cut him? I’m essentially saying that we need to upgrade the position and by the looks of it our FO agrees. Certainly he can beat out Hollister, but not somebody like Ertz. You say that I think I know more than our FO, but ultimately my opinion reflects their approach like a mirror. If anything, your faith in Knox seems to be antagonistic towards what Beane and McD are doing. Did we not go after Hunter Henry as well? And now Ertz?

Once again, my opinion is essentially echoing what they’re doing. They went after Hunter Henry and now Ertz, they clearly think we’re soft at TE. If anything, you’re the one going against the grain, by all means.

Well your original post was: "I don’t see Knox ever becoming what we hoped for him to be. Time to move on."

To me that meant you've given up on him and see little chance of improvement.  I do agree in that if he doesn't show improvement this season, then yes move on.  I'm fine with Ertz coming in or Henry, but also not ready to completely give up on Knox yet either.

4 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Based on Ertz's stats last season, this would result in 29 catches for about 270 yards and maybe a touchdown.

Ertz had a bad season last year.  And I'm not a big fan of bringing in another guy >30 to go along with Sanders and Beasley.

But of course, the QB who was throwing to him last season was notably and publicly falling apart, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1