I keep hearing on this board that Tremaine Edmunds only makes tackles 5+ yards past the L.O.S..🤔

12 hours ago, The_Ripster said:

Second half of this post has me looking forward to seeing what Tyrell Adams can bring to the table. More versatility that's for certain.

Adams is one of many reserves I am glad we will get a chance to see in a preseason.

Another point with Edmunds is that the couple times that he has been out his journeyman replacements have basically replicated his play.

And,  of course,  Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles in McD's defense in 2017.

It's very MLB production friendly.

If Edmunds were to go down for 4-8 games I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Klein and Adams step up and not miss a beat.........which really shouldn't be the case for someone that talented.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He Definitely was able to get moved out of his spot last year , 

But he did improve as the season went on , Especially as he recovered from the injury 

Will he ever be a downhill run stuffer like ray Lewis? No, but the NFL is evolving to fit his mold more and more 

And he cover alot of ground in zone where he can run downhill .. and he has the speed to make up for mistakes

He has a ton of speed but I think he gets bailed out of his mistakes a lot by being surrounded with a bunch of instinctive playmakers in the back 7.

Poyer, White, Milano, Hyde, Taron Johnson.........playmakers. 

I'm fine if he never becomes a great tackler or rises above adequate defending the run.........3 of the 4 2020 championship game finalists had mediocre run defenses.........but he's gotta' start making some of his own game changing plays to justify the big $ commitment at a position that isn't really necessary to stock with a $15M per year player to win a championship.

On 6/29/2021 at 3:36 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I've posted this many times and nobody cares

They just deflect it or make another excuse

This is a skewed stat. That's why people disagree.

Edmunds is unbelievably talented. He's one of the fastest linebackers in the league. He has played 15 to 16 games every season at the MLB position on a team where we get run on a lot. OF COURSE HE'S GOING TO PICK UP A LOT OF TACKLES FOR NO GAIN OR LOSS.

He also takes a lot of wrong angles and hurts the team badly when he gets juked out of his shoes multiple times a game.

None of that is counted in this statistic. You're telling one side of the story. That's the problem.

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Position is listed next to player picture.  It says OLB.  I see where you get RILB (scrolling to year by year).  I went with the headline number.  Not a lie and it doesnt seem that you tried to understand my position (definition of debating in bad faith).  last ill engage with someone who is just trying to provoke with inflammatory language.

The proper answer is "I was wrong".

Funny how people think it's OK to address me with snark but get VERY offended when they get it back.........it's like the "Bills mafia effect".........except I'm not a paid talking head on ESPN that has to tolerate your "mean tweets".:lol:

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This is a skewed stat. That's why people disagree.

Edmunds is unbelievably talented. He's one of the fastest linebackers in the league. He has played 15 to 16 games every season at the MLB position on a team where we get run on a lot. OF COURSE HE'S GOING TO PICK UP A LOT OF TACKLES FOR NO GAIN OR LOSS.

He also takes a lot of wrong angles and hurts the team badly when he gets juked out of his shoes multiple times a game.

None of that is counted in this statistic. You're telling one side of the story. That's the problem.

So why doesn't every middle linebacker over the last 3 years have as many tackles for no gain or a loss as he does? 

He's far from perfect but even his mistakes don't lead to many massive plays.. how many times have you seen him chasing the guy he's covering 45 yards down the field? 

I can remember one play in his career where he missed a tackle that actually sprung for a massive touchdown.. that was on him

Every linebacker makes mistakes, for every mistake he makes he has more good plays

He's far from the liability you're making him sound to be

Edited by Buffalo716

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bent out of shape? Nah. Just gave my opinion that they didn’t do enough and stated my reasons for why….

A lot of fans on here are the ones that get bent out of shape for that different opinion because it’s critical of the team(like all we are supposed to do is talk about how good the team is😅)…. McBeane clearly know what they are doing and have built a solid foundation thanks to hitting on one of the best young QBs in the league. 

You are critical of this team 95% of the time so there's the difference.  

So McBeane knows what they're doing thanks to hitting on one of the best young QB's.  What about the overall roster?  How did they do there?

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Bent out of shape? Nah. Just gave my opinion that they didn’t do enough and stated my reasons for why….

A lot of fans on here are the ones that get bent out of shape for that different opinion because it’s critical of the team(like all we are supposed to do is talk about how good the team is😅)…. McBeane clearly know what they are doing and have built a solid foundation thanks to hitting on one of the best young QBs in the league. 

Some people look at the team like it's their local high school.........amateurs playing for free for the honor of the student body and alums.

The reality is that it's a VERY privately owned business.......selling an expensive-to-maintain product that demands a lot of it's fans in exchange for the right to suspend disbelief and imagine that it belongs to them.

You and I see the team thru the reality lens.   It's a product,  we have a right to expect top results from an expensive product.    There's nothing we can do about it either way,  but the objective of the sport is to be the last team standing every year.   Until that happens,  there is obvious and literal room for improvement.    Pointing that out doesn't have to be "hate".

By contrast, people who take great offense to high expectations for the product tend to be living full-time in the suspended disbelief state.    So we end up arguing reality with a lot of Cosplayers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

When a team succeeds it rarely means everything is going right and when a team fails it rarely means everything is going wrong. I used the preach the latter on here in the drought years and I preach the former now. I was criticised for praising certain decisions the Bills made in the drought by fans who said "well they are still losing so it made no difference" and I get criticised today for criticising certain decisions by fans who say "they made the AFC Championship game!"

Being a successful sports team is much more nuanced and much less binary. The Bills had an excellent season last season - it does not mean the decision to sign Mario Addison to that contract was the correct one, or relying completely on Harrison Phillips off a gruesome injury and with little proven tape behind him to be their main 1 tech was a good call. The same as when the Bills were failing it didn't mean that letting Jairus Byrd walk or drafting Stephon Gilmore were mistakes. 

That's a fact , very well said.

I think it comes down to the culture that McBeane built. They completely turned over the roster and made very calculated decisions.  The expectation is now SB or Bust, that energy and mindset flows through that locker room. We have some great young and veteran leaders as well.

It makes for better work outs in the gym and practice on the field. 

It makes it easier to come back from mistakes when you built this type of environment.  

People don't mention enough that McBeane have only been coaching, running the F.O for 4 years, they grow just like the players.

Every team has bad contracts, failed draft picks, when you're losing,  it's magnified.  When you're winning it's far less noticeable.  

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Didn’t you get on me last year for suggesting the team needed more speed out of the backfield? How’d that work out? 

It’s a good football team with a great QB that has its flaws which were clearly exposed in the playoffs at times….I was hoping they’d be more aggressive in addressing those flaws this past offseason…. You’ve been the lead cheerleader shouting people down all off-season who’ve suggested the same or anyone critical of certain players….I’ve barely posted the last few months.😅

You’re right, it didn’t workout….our offense couldn’t score last year.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Sisyphean Bills said:

I think Poz took over the 5 yards downfield tackler.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:42 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Adams is one of many reserves I am glad we will get a chance to see in a preseason.

Another point with Edmunds is that the couple times that he has been out his journeyman replacements have basically replicated his play.

And,  of course,  Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles in McD's defense in 2017.

It's very MLB production friendly.

If Edmunds were to go down for 4-8 games I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Klein and Adams step up and not miss a beat.........which really shouldn't be the case for someone that talented.  

You wouldn't be surprised? And your lack of surprise is supposed to work as evidence against Edmunds? Seriously? Good lord, no wonder you're so deep in belief in this, your bar is wildly low. Of course you wouldn't be surprised. That's good evidence you're suffering from confirmation bias, not that Edwards isn't an excellent player.

You say that when Edmunds has been out that his journeyman replacements have duplicated his play. Where's your evidence on that? The last game he missed completely was game two last year against the Fins and Dodson and Klein looked awful.

Edmunds hasn't missed much time, that's the fact, he just took several for the team and played injured. When he did have to go out, nobody filled the position at replacement level.

And Preston Brown had a lot of tackles, yes, but wasn't anywhere near as good at defending the pass as Edmunds has been. Nor was he - and feel free to prove me wrong with stats on this - second in the league in his time here in stops at the LOS or for loss.

Edited by Thurman#1

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Didn’t you get on me last year for suggesting the team needed more speed out of the backfield? How’d that work out? 

It’s a good football team with a great QB that has its flaws which were clearly exposed in the playoffs at times….I was hoping they’d be more aggressive in addressing those flaws this past offseason…. You’ve been the lead cheerleader shouting people down all off-season who’ve suggested the same or anyone critical of certain players….I’ve barely posted the last few months.😅

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You’re right, it didn’t workout….our offense couldn’t score last year.

Ouch!! Point made.

It worked out that our two RBs were both solidly efficient despite one of the lowest and worst Yards before contact figures in the league last year.

Not that speed might not have helped, but we did pretty decently on offense even without it, and they brought in Breida this year.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:23 AM, ScottLaw said:

Good thing the future hall of famer Star Lotulelei is back….

They drafted and signed a bunch of D-linemen, and yes Star will help if he comes back in full playing condition.  He's better than the garbage they had in the middle last season. 

Edited by Azucho98

On 6/29/2021 at 2:44 PM, JerseyBills said:

Enough Said. 👇

I know he had a couple, but I want to see more turnovers. TFL’s are great, but I don’t want a guy that just racks up 150+ every year. I want to see sacks, FF’s, and picks from a guy who is the ultimate physical specimen. Edmunds is playing like a borderline top 10 MLB, but I know he has Urlacher/Keuchly potential. 

• Agree 1