CBS Sports Top 10 NFL HC's

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-edges-bill-belichick-as-no-1-bruce-arians-matt-lafleur-crack-top-10/

5. Sean McDermott (Bills)

Season: 5th with Bills and as HC
Career record: 38-26 (.594)
Playoff record: 2-3

Like Frank Reich, his record isn't all that impressive yet, but he's navigated enough cloudy waters -- front-office change, QB uncertainty, etc. -- to build the makings of a perennial contender. He's smart without being brash, his specialty (defense) has been apparent, and he's patiently overseen Josh Allen's emergence as a potential top five signal-caller. The potential is high.

• Like (+1) 4

Marv is a HOF coach and I'm not sure I would have ever rated him as high as 5th at any time during his tenure...

Jimmy Johnson

Bill Parcells

Bill Walsh

Joe Gibbs

Don Shula (although debatable as we always kicked their butts)

Mike Holmgren

Chuck Noll/Bill Cowher

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Colin Cowherd was just discussing this list on his radio show. He said Brian Flores should have been rated much higher than 17 ("there are not 16 coaches better than him") and Matt LaFleur should have been much lower, as he inherited Aaron Rodgers and just tweaked the offense a little to make it more physical.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, chongli said:

Colin Cowherd was just discussing this list on his radio show. He said Brian Flores should have been rated much higher than 17 ("there are not 16 coaches better than him") and Matt LaFleur should have been much lower, as he inherited Aaron Rodgers and just tweaked the offense a little to make it more physical.

I have to agree on Flores, I think he is an excellent head coach, what he did with the Dolphins his first year was a borderline miracle, remember people used to snicker at the Dolphins for trading away talent and recall the Tank for Tua comments.  (ironically they end up with him and I think Tua will be at best a mediocre starting NFL QB).

• Like (+1) 2

I think Flores is overrated. They had to win the last game and got blown out. Plus, he didn’t know how to handle the Fitzpatrick/Tua situation and now doesn’t know what to do with Xavier who is already holding out with a top 3 or 5 CB contract. 

It doesn’t seem to me he has good people or management skills. He’s like that jump to conclusion guy and lumberg from office space put into one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have to agree on Flores, I think he is an excellent head coach, what he did with the Dolphins his first year was a borderline miracle, remember people used to snicker at the Dolphins for trading away talent and recall the Tank for Tua comments.  (ironically they end up with him and I think Tua will be at best a mediocre starting NFL QB).

I’m personally not a big Flores fan. I thought he was going to be better than he’s been. He still only won 5 games that year. I don’t really get the hype around him. This year will define him I suppose. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think Flores did some damage to Tua by pulling him from games when they needed a clutch performance.  The move looks especially short sighted since the season ended up being a non playoff season for them.  I guess we won't really know for sure until we see how Tua develops, but I think it would be fair to place some of the blame on Flores if he is not very good.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I think Flores did some damage to Tua by pulling him from games when they needed a clutch performance.  The move looks especially short sighted since the season ended up being a non playoff season for them.  I guess we won't really know for sure until we see how Tua develops, but I think it would be fair to place some of the blame on Flores if he is not very good.

Maybe.

Yes we shall see how he develops but I think Tua sucks and I am not going to put the blame on Flores.  Flores did what he had to to try and win games.

Tua is a bigger injury prone version of Mac Jones.  Alabama products great  with short passes, highly accurate in college where they consistently played inferior teams.  Lets see how Jones handles real pressure &  competition on the NFL.  If he fizzles out, i wont be shocked at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe.

Yes we shall see how he develops but I think Tua sucks and I am not going to put the blame on Flores.  Flores did what he had to to try and win games.

Tua is a bigger injury prone version of Mac Jones.  Alabama products great  with short passes, highly accurate in college where they consistently played inferior teams.  Lets see how Jones handles real pressure &  competition on the NFL.  If he fizzles out, i wont be shocked at all.

If Tua sucks - why start and play him ahead of Fitz that had the team in playoff contention.  That is on Flores.

Once you have decided to start Tua - why pull him out of 3 games at the end - is he not good enough or needs more time - then he was not ready to start - on Flores.

Basically they lost opportunity to gain him valuable experience in end of game and pressure situations by pulling him and you missed the playoffs by choosing to start him over Fitz.  It was the worst of both worlds.  That is all on the HC.

Their defense way overachieved and they lost out due to Flores.  I think he is a middle of the road guy that has lost part of that team with his handling of the team and the QB.

The Bills could of been in the same boat with the benching of Tyrod and Peterman, but McDermott talked with the team leaders and got things righted and found a way to make the playoffs.  Flores with a better team benched Fitz and refused to go back until it was to late and they missed out.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1