The Return Of Today I Learned!!

Canadian Bills Fan

7 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I thought I remember a story my mother told me that in the 50s, they had X-ray machines at shoe stores so you could get an image of how the shoe fit 

I am still waiting for a laywer to contact me bout the X-Ray specs I bought in a magazine as a kid.

• Haha (+1) 1

TIL:  The "Answering Machine"

"Most 20th century answering machines used magnetic recording, which Valdemar Poulsen invented in 1898. The creation of the first practical automatic answering device for telephones, however, is in dispute. Starting in 1930, Clarence Hickman worked for Bell Laboratories, where he developed methods for magnetic recording and worked on the recognition of speech patterns and electromechanical switching systems.

In 1934, he developed a tape-based answering machine which phone company AT&T, as the owner of Bell Laboratories, kept under wraps for years for fear that an answering machine would result in fewer telephone calls.  Many claim the answering machine was invented by William Muller in 1935, but it may already have been created in 1931 by William Schergens whose device used phonographic cylinders. Ludwig Blattner promoted a telephone answering machine in 1929 based on his Blattnerphone magnetic recording technology. In 1935 inventor Benjamin Thornton developed a machine to record voice messages from the caller. The device reportedly also was able to keep track of the time the recordings were made. Although many sources maintain that he invented it in 1935, Thornton had actually filed a patent in 1930 (Number 1831331) for this machine, which utilized a phonographic record as the recording medium. ..."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Good lord, almost eight months...

I always wondered why government approved Canadian high visibility wear for construction required the striping on the back to be in an 'X' pattern, as opposed to the horizontal or vertical striping common elsewhere.  Apparently, it is designed to let others know that if you're seeing the X, that means that worker has their back facing you.  It is mostly to benefit heavy machinery operators, who would then know when all ground workers are facing the equipment in high noise and low visibility environments.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

On 6/29/2021 at 10:37 AM, sherpa said:

They really aren't that secret.

They just aren't a passenger airline.

They use normal air traffic control freqs.

The people who work at the Groom Lake complex, known as Area 51, and the folks who work at Tonopah Test Range, which is about 70 miles further NW from Groom Lake, get shuttled back and forth on a daily basis. Not all, but many.

From time to time the Air Force will do it with their own transports, but mostly it's done by Janet 737's.

They use to leave from Nellis AFB, but since everyone lives in or near Las Vegas, they operate from McCarran Intl. Airport and save them the drive to Nellis, which isn't that far away. 

Everybody who operates out of the Nellis complex knows about it, there is just no reason for other folks to.

Funny, I haven't talked about the Tonopah Test Range for years, and just yesterday I got an email asking me something about it.

We used to operate in the Nellis complex and the restricted area which serves Tonopah Test Range regularly.

(See "Operation Constant Peg).

My friends mom used to work there way back in the day and regularly ride in them planes

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.