The Return Of Today I Learned!!

Canadian Bills Fan

I guess this is a 'YIL'...

So yesterday I found our (mostly indoor) male cat at the back door.  He only goes out supervised for now (adolescent/siamese/fetches better than our dog/awesome cat!!), - I knew the only way he could be there was by jumping off our second story roof... 

which made me nervous

until

I looked up 'how far can a cat fall'

maybe I'm the last person on the planet to know this, but apparently the odds are in a cat's favor to survive a fall from ANY height- as long as they have oxygen.  Their terminal velocity is about 60 MPH, and if they land on a reasonable, non-jagged surface, their bodies stand a decent chance of absorbing the impact.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

So yesterday I found our (mostly indoor) male cat at the back door.  He only goes out supervised for now (adolescent/siamese/fetches better than our dog/awesome cat!!), - I knew the only way he could be there was by jumping off our second story roof... 

which made me nervous

until

I looked up 'how far can a cat fall'

maybe I'm the last person on the planet to know this, but apparently the odds are in a cat's favor to survive a fall from ANY height- as long as they have oxygen.  Their terminal velocity is about 60 MPH, and if they land on a reasonable, non-jagged surface, their bodies stand a decent chance of absorbing the impact.   

Tough too! Did you see the story of Binx?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_60e958e0e4b06dfc5e21a1a2/amp

Anyway, I recall reading that cats right themselves in mid air and use like a parachute effect.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

which made me nervous

As long as if cat is smart enough to not go in yards with dogs.  When I was growing up we had a pair of very large collies (Rusty and Pepper) which spent most of their time in our backyard.  Many people just let their cats wander and occasionally a cat would wander into our backyard.  It was amazing how fast those big lumbering dogs could move when they wanted to; sort of reminds me of a lineman.  The cat would not usually be able to get out of backyard fast enough and dog would kill it.  Even saw one cat walking on plastic covered wire fence surrounding yard teasing dogs.  One dog ran into fence and cat fell into yard and before cat could get up and out the other dog got it.   Eventually our dogs were moved to a farm but I never got to see them and have always wondered if my mother lied to us.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

As long as if cat is smart enough to not go in yards with dogs.  When I was growing up we had a pair of very large collies (Rusty and Pepper) which spent most of their time in our backyard.  Many people just let their cats wander and occasionally a cat would wander into our backyard.  It was amazing how fast those big lumbering dogs could move when they wanted to; sort of reminds me of a lineman.  The cat would not usually be able to get out of backyard fast enough and dog would kill it.  Even saw one cat walking on plastic covered wire fence surrounding yard teasing dogs.  One dog ran into fence and cat fell into yard and before cat could get up and out the other dog got it.   Eventually our dogs were moved to a farm but I never got to see them and have always wondered if my mother lied to us.

Jeebus!  TIL @Limeaid has some deeply rooted childhood trauma 😳

50 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Tough too! Did you see the story of Binx?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_60e958e0e4b06dfc5e21a1a2/amp

Anyway, I recall reading that cats right themselves in mid air and use like a parachute effect.

With the webbed feet they can probably sky-surf too!

Where's the Pegula jet!!

TIL selling playbooks is illegal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/02/sports/football/where-have-you-gone-garlic-breath.html

Hut $1, Hut $2, Hut $3

Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested the former N.F.L. quarterback Karl Sweetan in 1972 after he tried to sell a copy of the Los Angeles Rams' playbook to the coach of the New Orleans Saints. Sweetan had been released by the Rams and hoped to help a division rival. Instead, Saints Coach J.D. Roberts notified the N.F.L., which alerted the authorities.

Sweetan was slapped with federal charges that included wire fraud and interstate transportation of stolen property. But the playbook wasn't worth enough for Sweetan to be charged with a federal crime, so the charges were dropped. It's doubtful the playbook would have helped the Saints anyway. They finished the season with a 2-11-1 record.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:49 AM, Limeaid said:

As long as if cat is smart enough to not go in yards with dogs.  When I was growing up we had a pair of very large collies (Rusty and Pepper) which spent most of their time in our backyard.  Many people just let their cats wander and occasionally a cat would wander into our backyard.  It was amazing how fast those big lumbering dogs could move when they wanted to; sort of reminds me of a lineman.  The cat would not usually be able to get out of backyard fast enough and dog would kill it.  Even saw one cat walking on plastic covered wire fence surrounding yard teasing dogs.  One dog ran into fence and cat fell into yard and before cat could get up and out the other dog got it.   Eventually our dogs were moved to a farm but I never got to see them and

have always wondered if my mother lied to us.

TIL what happened to Rusty and Pepper

• Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.