The Return Of Today I Learned!!

Canadian Bills Fan

31 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I am bringing it back! feel free to contribute! Just going to post with facts that I found interesting! 

They really aren't that secret.

They just aren't a passenger airline.

They use normal air traffic control freqs.

The people who work at the Groom Lake complex, known as Area 51, and the folks who work at Tonopah Test Range, which is about 70 miles further NW from Groom Lake, get shuttled back and forth on a daily basis. Not all, but many.

From time to time the Air Force will do it with their own transports, but mostly it's done by Janet 737's.

They use to leave from Nellis AFB, but since everyone lives in or near Las Vegas, they operate from McCarran Intl. Airport and save them the drive to Nellis, which isn't that far away. 

Everybody who operates out of the Nellis complex knows about it, there is just no reason for other folks to.

Funny, I haven't talked about the Tonopah Test Range for years, and just yesterday I got an email asking me something about it.

We used to operate in the Nellis complex and the restricted area which serves Tonopah Test Range regularly.

(See "Operation Constant Peg).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sherpa said:

They really aren't that secret.

They just aren't a passenger airline.

They use normal air traffic control freqs.

The people who work at the Groom Lake complex, known as Area 51, and the folks who work at Tonopah Test Range, which is about 70 miles further NW from Groom Lake, get shuttled back and forth on a daily basis. Not all, but many.

From time to time the Air Force will do it with their own transports, but mostly it's done by Janet 737's.

They use to leave from Nellis AFB, but since everyone lives in or near Las Vegas, they operate from McCarran Intl. Airport and save them the drive to Nellis, which isn't that far away. 

Everybody who operates out of the Nellis complex knows about it, there is just no reason for other folks to.

Funny, I haven't talked about the Tonopah Test Range for years, and just yesterday I got an email asking me something about it.

We used to operate in the Nellis complex and the restricted area which serves Tonopah Test Range regularly.

(See "Operation Constant Peg).

You told us.  Are you going to have to kill us all now?  😟

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You told us.  Are you going to have to kill us all now?  😟

No You're safe.

Constant Peg was declassified in 2006.

When I was in the Pacific Fleet Adversaries, the bad guys, we used to fight the Migs regularly. We were forced to sign agreements that if we ever said anything, they would wipe us and everyone we knew out.

Very serious stuff.

They kept them in hangars to avoid Soviet recon satellite pics.

You'd hold about 15 miles north, then they'd taxi out, takeoff and you'd fight them for about 20 mins.

We were told never to try to land there.

One day, i was the duty officer at the Adversary Squadron and my CO was over there. The plan was to fight them, then tank, (air to air refuel), then come back. During the tanking, something happened and the tanker sent a bunch of raw fuel into the air. It went own my CO's intake, exploded when it hit the compressor, blew out his right main landing gear doors, and a total hydraulic failure ensued.  Losing the flight controls, he had to go in there. No brakes, so he rolls to the end and into the barricade.

He wasn't hurt, so they blindfolded him and drove him 90 miles to Naval Air Station Fallon, NV.

We wanted to send our maintainers to fix the airplane, but they would hear none of that. The accident report was altered to indicate it happened at Fallon Naval Air Station.

They disassembled the airplane, put it on a truck and drove it to Fallon where we got it fixed a month later.

Funny times.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:19 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Today I learned that when the young female pharmacy assistant is administering my Covid vaccine, the phrase she says is referring to the severity of the needle, not certain anatomical shortcomings on my part. 🤔

just a little prick

19 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I'm not sure this belongs in TIL, since I kinda suspected it before, but ...

TIL.jpg

See @Gugny

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beerball said:

Some drivers in US should be required to do same thing for front bumper or maybe include hood as well for they fail to turn on head lights because they say "I can see fine." - It is not just about driver.  Some try to make everything a personal choice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.