Rousseau sighting: Calais Campbell showing him some moves

Rousseau at the Canes’ Paradise Camp where the current Canes get to hang out and learn from Alumni. Campbell, ofc, has mentored Rousseau throughout the Draft process. Good to see the young one soaking it all in.

I always thought Rousseau was a big dude. But Campbell makes him look puny. He is teaching Rousseau a power move - but is Rousseau big and strong enough for that?

Anyways - something to look at during the slow news period. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I always thought Rousseau was a big dude. But Campbell makes him look puny.

In terms of defensive linemen he's not a big dude -- he played college ball at around 250-255. This myth seems to be perpetuated by that viral image of him standing next to McD which had a lot to do with forced perspective. The offensive linemen we drafted? Yeah, those are big dudes.

Edited by QCity

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Groot doesn’t have his man body yet an NFL training regimen will fix that

For a lot of the younger guys its the nutrition aspect as well as the training.  You no longer have to worry about classes, school etc.  It's football.  Work is now - working out, film study, studying, nutrition, and recovery.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Rousseau at the Canes’ Paradise Camp where the current Canes get to hang out and learn from Alumni. Campbell, ofc, has mentored Rousseau throughout the Draft process. Good to see the young one soaking it all in.

I always thought Rousseau was a big dude. But Campbell makes him look puny. He is teaching Rousseau a power move - but is Rousseau big and strong enough for that?

Good thing Rousseau is 21 and has plenty of time to fill out. I believe he will be a complete and very good end within 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

For a lot of the younger guys its the nutrition aspect as well as the training.  You no longer have to worry about classes, school etc.  It's football.  Work is now - working out, film study, studying, nutrition, and recovery.  

Yes, the academic strain at Miami must be brutal

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The question really is, how easy will it be for Rousseau to add some muscle mass.  He's never going to be the kind of DE that beats an offensive tackle with speed and bend around the edge.  I think he has some quickness and the ability to get "slippery" but he's going to need more strength to be effective.  I have seen people question whether he can add that muscle mass, but I don't know of any reason why he can't.

Very interesting!

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2008/2/25/203450/618

Calais Campbell, Miami: Campbell's struggles continue, as he capped a mediocre junior season with a poor combine. He measured just over 6-7 1/2 and 290 pounds, yet completed a measly 16 reps on the bench -- worst of any defensive linemen who participated. Campbell then ran his 40s near the 5.1 mark and looked winded at the end of the practice session.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes, the academic strain at Miami must be brutal

cathoics vs convicts

40 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Good thing Rousseau is 21 and has plenty of time to fill out. I believe he will be a complete and very good end within 2 years.

wait until G Rousseau is coached up into his NFL body this story could end up legendary just like his nickname  #GROOT who wants to mess with Groot fcol? lol

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Well, one is 21 years old and one is 34. Guess which one has more muscle and is bigger and stronger? 

35 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The question really is, how easy will it be for Rousseau to add some muscle mass.  He's never going to be the kind of DE that beats an offensive tackle with speed and bend around the edge.  I think he has some quickness and the ability to get "slippery" but he's going to need more strength to be effective.  I have seen people question whether he can add that muscle mass, but I don't know of any reason why he can't.

He absolutely can, he's really raw there too. Only one season having college amenities, and probably not the best diet options. Hes tall and lean. No reason at all he can't fill out like Campbell has!!

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

He absolutely can, he's really raw there too. Only one season having college amenities, and probably not the best diet options. Hes tall and lean. No reason at all he can't fill out like Campbell has!!

I would love to see him have a career like Campbell, hopefully finding it a little earlier. The thing is, I look at him and what I have seen of him on the field, I see JJ Watt.  I think he could be an absolute monster working in a hybrid role where you don’t know where he’s coming from.  He might not have elite speed, but that length and he will add a lot of strength, coming from the inside, he’s trouble.  Now, obviously, that guarantees nothing because we are taking about 2 of the best players we have seen in decades and hoping he gets there, but if he puts in the work, he has the tools.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, QCity said:

In terms of defensive linemen he's not a big dude -- he played college ball at around 250-255. This myth seems to be perpetuated by that viral image of him standing next to McD which had a lot to do with forced perspective. The offensive linemen we drafted? Yeah, those are big dudes.

That is correct - at this time.  Rousseau just turned 21 in April.  I would be surprised if he didn't fill out some over the next few seasons.  Still, 6'6" 255 is big by any normal standard.  

Patience will be necessary with Rousseau who really only played one full season of college ball and none at all last year.