Bruce Smith- 90's Bills had gay player, we didn't care....

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills player hasn't been outed.  So no one's choice has been suppressed or denied.

You said you outed a guy in the 90's to another person.

This is what I said in my original post:

"In the early 90's when I was still a young adult, I mentioned to somebody in the Rochester community that this lawyer there was LGBT. When I told that lawyer what I had done, they were angry, even though I never named the person." 

And then I learned from my mistake and never did it again. Again, I am not calling Bruce out. I am not calling you out. I respect your opinion. It was my intent only to simply offer my opinion.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah it was a riot.  

Anyway, no one today is worried about being outed from Bruce's comments.  And if you're insinuating that some straight players from then might be worried about having shared regular team mate comradery with a gay player on their roster, that's ridiculous. 

Yeah, it was a gut-buster.

And you know this for a fact?  Yeah, no you don't.  The rest is just silly.

18 minutes ago, chongli said:

This is what I said in my original post:

"In the early 90's when I was still a young adult, I mentioned to somebody in the Rochester community that this lawyer there was LGBT. When I told that lawyer what I had done, they were angry, even though I never named the person." 

And then I learned from my mistake and never did it again. Again, I am not calling Bruce out. I am not calling you out. I respect your opinion. It was my intent only to simply offer my opinion.

Like I said, I hope the person or people to whom Bruce was referring is/are OK with him making that declaration because, as this thread has shown, some people will try and figure it out. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Like I said, I hope the person or people to whom Bruce was referring is/are OK with him making that declaration because, as this thread has shown, some people will try and figure it out

Billy Joe Hobert? Or maybe Kurt Schulz.....I feel like it is a white guy though for some reason lol

22 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I don't know if it's just to draw attention so to speak, I think it's made a big deal to maybe help others that are scared to be themselves maybe? I don't know honestly, just a guess.

Well, for example... in the book "NFL Confidential" by "Johnny Anonymous" (now believed to be 2012 SDG 7th round draft pick and 2014 Eagles backup C David Molk), he goes off on a rant about why the NFL could never have a gay man in the locker room, it would spoil the whole locker room vibe and team dynamics.

So maybe Bruce's point to Molk and anyone still in the NFL who feels that way is that some of the top, championship-contending teams even back in the '90s had a guy who was known to his teammates to be gay, and the locker room vibe and team dynamics were just fine, thank you - so Get Over Yourself.

Pretty sure the 2020 Bills had at least one gay player on the roster.  He's not real open about it but he posts stuff on Instagram every now and again that are like "So, (Players Name), is there Something You Want to Tell Us?"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Billy Joe Hobert? Or maybe Kurt Schulz.....I feel like it is a white guy though for some reason lol

Personally I don't know and don't really care.  All I'm saying is that Bruce should have said it another way to get his point across, nothing more nothing less, so as to not potentially out the person or people about whom he was referring.  I have no idea why some have such a vehement reaction to that when all I'm doing is worrying about the person(s) to whom he was referring, but that's just how some are.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Like I said, I hope the person or people to whom Bruce was referring is/are OK with him making that declaration because, as this thread has shown, some people will try and figure it out. 

How will "some people" "figure it out"?   Based on....what?  That's ridiculous.

Or do you think, after almost 30 years,  another player is going wake up tomorrow and decide to out him by name?  Yeah, that makes sense too!  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Why is this news? Why would we care about a players sexual orientation? 

What is Bruces’ motive here?

Keep your personal life, personal. 

Ok, so please never post a picture of you and what I imagine is a wife or girlfriend on social media ever, and immediately delete any that currently exist. Make sure all of your posts on here never reference that person in anyway at all. Actually, you talking about what you individually did is personal too. Ok, so only pictures of landscapes with no context of you being there or taking the picture.

You do that, then you can start talking about others keeping personal life personal.

If you think that it is appropriate for you to share that personal information publicly, then what about this situation is different? 

And if by some slim chance you already don't do that, I would say the vast majority of people do, so swap in the avg "keep your personal life personal" person.

Also, can we get a mod to please go through and delete every thread and post about Josh Allen's grandma please, and his gf too of course...sorry guys, we need to cancel the money we helped raise for the buffalo children's hospital because Buffalo619 wants us all to keep our personal lives private...that or there is just something about this specific topic that is driving him to want to cancel this topic...

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How will "some people" "figure it out"?   Based on....what?  That's ridiculous.

Or do you think, after almost 30 years,  another player is going wake up tomorrow and decide to out him by name?  Yeah, that makes sense too!  

Yeah, someone might try.  This world is full of all kinds of people.  Is this such a difficult concept for you?

The bottom line that keeps escaping you is that he didn't need to specify the team and time period.  It added nothing except that it started some people speculating about who it could be, potentially upsetting/revealing the person about whom he was referring.  Again a "I've played alongside gay teammates in my career and it was no big deal to me" would have conveyed everything he wanted to say without specifying anything.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, someone might try.  This world is full of all kinds of people.  Is this such a difficult concept for you?

The bottom line that keeps escaping you is that he didn't need to specify the team and time period.  It added nothing except that it started some people speculating about who it could be, potentially upsetting/revealing the person about whom he was referring.  Again a "I've played alongside gay teammates in my career and it was no big deal to me" would have conveyed everything he wanted to say without specifying anything.

LOL, come on...  

And do you really think anyone anywhere heard this shocking news from Bruce and then exclaimed; "oh my GOD!!!  The was a GAY on the Bills roster in the 90's????  Man, I wonder who it was??!"

Smith played on the Bills....for 15 years (10 of those int "the 90)!  EVERYONE would conclude that he was talking about one of the Bills (Skins were way too butch in the 90's...you know).

And while we're at it, let me help those "I'm now dying to out that gay player!!" sleuths out there and tell them the clue is:  it was one of the perhaps 100 (or more?) players on a Bills roster over a 10 year period spanning the 1990's!

Go to it, hetero cis binaries!!.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL, come on...  

And do you really think anyone anywhere heard this shocking news from Bruce and then exclaimed; "oh my GOD!!!  The was a GAY on the Bills roster in the 90's????  Man, I wonder who it was??!"

Smith played on the Bills....for 15 years (10 of those int "the 90)!  EVERYONE would conclude that he was talking about one of the Bills (Skins were way too butch in the 90's...you know).

And while we're at it, let me help those "I'm now dying to out that gay player!!" sleuths out there and tell them the clue is:  it was one of the perhaps 100 (or more?) players on a Bills roster over a 10 year period spanning the 1990's!

Go to it, hetero cis binaries!!.

Yeah, absolutely no one would do this.  I haven't heard anyone anywhere wonder.  :lol:

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, absolutely no one would do this.  I haven't heard anyone anywhere wonder.  :lol:

:rolleyes:

How would your proposed "quote" change anything?

And how will anyone "figure it out"---which is much different than "wondering" (I mean....Rob Johnson?  Come on....).  Wondering has no potential to harm anyone.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Per the OP link, Smith said it was the "mid to late 90's"

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That brings it down from 100 to about, what, 75-80?  That will really out the guy!  Doc should hav this sussed out by sunrise now.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

that should get us a pretty good list of like 40 or so guys. 

would you prefer to make a burner account to catfish Todd Collins or do you prefer the in person approach?

I’m just hoping not to get assigned big Ted Washington 

jokes aside, it’s probably a bit ridiculous to think Bruce changed much here unless the player makes a decision to open up. The same people who knew and weren’t talking about it the last 25 years probably aren’t about to spill the beans suddenly.

Edited by NoSaint

22 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Would you like speak to the manager?

Relax bruh..

Haha, oh the projection. You're literally going to the manager asking that they stop someone from talking about something you claim is personal.

"Excuse me manager, the cashiers were talking about their plans for after work for the first five seconds I walked up, and well yes I was staring at my phone the entire interaction, it's just that I would prefer they would not talk about personal stuff when they are working.

"It wouldn't be so bad, but they're talking about a (whisper) gay friend inviting all of them over to his boyfriend's house later to hang out.

"Well my wife and I, we're not sure why people just always have to bring sexuality into the conversation. I am not triggered by this, it's just upsetting enough for me to have to speak loudly about it to anyone that will listen over and over again.

"Really my hope is that people stop saying things that make me feel like that when I am trying to buy condoms, cigarettes and beer from a cashier making like $9 an hour. My wife here who spends hours a day applying and removing makeup everyday to look more attractive, but not in a sexual way...she likes to point out that we aren't canceling others, we're canceling negative feelings inside ourselves, and yeah that requires others to only talk about a specific set of things, but those things are freedom and those other things are totally against freedom, so we good."