Bruce Smith- 90's Bills had gay player, we didn't care....

The original Bruce Smith video is here:

Not that it matters, but since people are speculating here, at 2:16 of the video above, Bruce says the player played on the Bills in the mid- to late-90's. He also there there might have been two such players on the team. Shouldn't be news, but it is, unfortunately, in this day and age still, so much so that TMZ had to "break" this story.

Edited by chongli

8 hours ago, Augie said:

This has not been handled as maturely as I had hoped. 

I don’t care who it was, I’m just glad it wasn’t a big deal. 

Period. 

This is how "not a big deal" it was.  The player in question's best friend on the team was also the biggest womanizer on the team.  (Neither player has been mentioned this thread.)  So, there was sort of a pleasant, harmless joke that these two guys were on each end of the "spectrum."  It was told to me that way to illustrate the point that nobody cared then.  In my view, nobody should care now.  None of us should judge who makes another person happy.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

I could see Bruce and Daryl going at it.

See now DT was the first Bill that popped into my mind....just based on the several times I saw him outside of the game at various events.....super super nice guy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

why?

Because by narrowing it down to a team and time period it goes from "that's good to hear" to "I wonder who it was?"  My second thought after I heard he said this is "I wonder if the player or players are OK with him revealing this?"  

• Like (+1) 1

I served with multiple openly gay/lesbian brothers and sisters in arms in the late 90’s to late 2000s. Before it was “legal”.  Again no one cared. 

I think in situations where you work as a team in high stress environments, all you care about is capability, not their “turn ons and turn offs”. You honestly don’t have time to care about that other stuff. 

I think an NFL locker room is similar to a military unit in that regard. 

Great to see / hear. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Because by narrowing it down to a team and time period it goes from "that's good to hear" to "I wonder who it was?"  My second thought after I heard he said this is "I wonder if the player or players are OK with him revealing this?"  

I also wonder if the player(s) would agree with Bruce’s assessment that it was no big deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, transient said:

I also wonder if the player(s) would agree with Bruce’s assessment that it was no big deal. 

Like anything there would be people who would agree and people who would not.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Putin said:

Was 90’s really that long ago ? God I’m getting old 

80's music is not the oldies! When did I become my parents!

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

R u kidding me ?? 

That Joe dirt vibe screams I love woman and I 69 

Matter fact , can't believe that isn't his number

It's a good cover. No ***** bro!

Edited by sunshynman

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Revealing what?  He named no names.  And who cares anyway?

14 hours ago, Doc said:

The sentiment was well-meant, but he shouldn't have said "the Bills" and instead should have said "in the league."

Bruce was in the Bills locker room, not another team's.  He was saying that when you are trying to win as a team, nobody cares what you do off the field (unless, like Bruce it leads to a suspension).  

This is not true in all locker rooms.  I read a story when Glen Parker was with the Giants he had some problems with some of his more religious teammates because he is an atheist.  

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Revealing what?  He named no names.  And who cares anyway?

Some probably do and that's why I was asking if the person or people to whom he was referring cared.

Did you think your "So...Bruce?" comment was funny?