John Facenda finally going into the HOF! [Edited]

This is great news.

I truly wish that there was a way to honor Joel Buchsbaum. He did get some sort of award in 2003 but imo he was THE best sportswriter to ever cover football and especially the draft.

If he was alive today he would be a multi-millionaire

He died WAY too soon. 😟

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Pete Rozelle award winner.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/28/john-facenda-posthumously-honored-with-hall-of-fames-pete-rozelle-award/

He certainly had a great voice for NFL films.

Thank you, Roy! Fantastic news. The League FINALLY righted a very wrong!

Congrats, John F.!😇

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Found this on my FB link today with caption that reads he’s in,  but can’t find a collaborating newsfeed. 

0FD609B4-B51D-48C6-A9EF-6C2AC3C8CB57.jpeg

This guy was the voice of our youth on Sundays! Don’t make em like this anymore!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The greatest, most dramatic narrator of NFL films and classic, timeless matchups. One of the people that put NFL where it is as the best spectator sport in TV history. 

The Frozen Tundra!

• Chandler#81 changed the title to John Facenda finally going into the HOF! [Edited]
16 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Actually, tundra is a misnomer in this case. I’m sure @ExiledInIllinois can speak more eloquently on the topic however. 

Why would you wish this upon us?

• Haha (+1) 3

As always Dr. Chandler, resident historian, thank you.  I loved those narrations as a little boy.  I think they came out on Saturdays predating anything like HBO, and ESPN.  I loved this guy.  He helped me tremendously to be a an avid NFL fan, not just the Bills.  My only regret is we didn’t get an Autumn Wind song as we were dynamic in the 60’s before my time.  The Chill of the Bills defense kind of thing.  

I am so happy he is going in this year.  No one more deserving, no player or coach.  He was the voice of God, back in the day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Actually, tundra is a misnomer in this case. I’m sure @ExiledInIllinois can speak more eloquently on the topic however. 

This is true, Facenda never uttered the term...it was mimicked by Chris Berman, using his best Facenda imitation.

Ed and Steve Sabol, together with John Facenda, formed the Holy Trinity at NFL Films...they were the right people at the right time, and their talents turned the NFL, not into America's pastime, but into America's passion.  My generation, us old geezers in our sixties, began our love for the game thanks to this magnificent trio.

Edited by Ned Flanders
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Very nice to hear.. changed the way Football highlights were shown . Previous to him, it was an uptempo , quick version with a marching band soundtrack . I believe the Sabol's (father and son) revolutionized the way the NFL presented highlight films. Using John Facenda was a stroke of genius. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The kids in my neighborhood used to play “NFL Highlights” on the front lawns or in our back yards.   It was a slowed down tackle game with several of us taking turns at QB and announcing the plays in a Facenda voice.  It was a tribute to the best players of the late 60’s and early 70’s.  Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson running sweeps, Larry Csonka blasting straight ahead for yardage, Fred Bilitnikof on the sideline, Lance Allworth with a one handed grab, Roger Staubach throwing deep to Bob “The Bullet” Hayes.   

Facenda helped us to learn and love the game.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1