Last tour ever concerts?

Just Jack

Should you sue?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should you sue?

https://hardrockdaddy.com/2013/10/30/hard-rock-music-time-machine-1982-the-whos-farewell-tour-shea-stadium-ny/

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Technically, they billed that as their "First Farewell Tour." They didn't rule out anything in the future.

And to the OP, I have no problem with a band changing its mind. I can choose to see or to skip subsequent tours.

I don't recall that stipulation at all. So I went looking and I did find references to 'First Farewell Tour' but I question whether that came after the fact. Check out the article from 1982 below and another from 2013 - there's no hint at all that 1982 wasn't billed as their farewell tour. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, but I don't remember ever hearing that 1982 was a First Farewell.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/10/12/arts/pop-the-who-british-rockers-on-farewell-tour.html

https://hardrockdaddy.com/2013/10/30/hard-rock-music-time-machine-1982-the-whos-farewell-tour-shea-stadium-ny/

38 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't recall that stipulation at all. So I went looking and I did find references to 'First Farewell Tour' but I question whether that came after the fact. Check out the article from 1982 below and another from 2013 - there's no hint at all that 1982 wasn't billed as their farewell tour. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, but I don't remember ever hearing that 1982 was a First Farewell.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/10/12/arts/pop-the-who-british-rockers-on-farewell-tour.html

I don't think it was an official designation, I just remember Pete saying it in an interview when they announced the tour.

• Like (+1) 1

Bob Seger’s farewell tour was definitely not a disappointment as far as those tours go - he could definitely still put on a quality show.  Kenny Rogers, while his vocals were limited and he had do do the show seated, was a great show more so for the story telling aspect of his illustrious career.  Motley Crue, OTOH, can just go away. 

On 6/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, Rico said:

Just consider that they are a few years older now and the show probably won't be as good as it was then.... especially if they are old-school bands.

Kind of a funny phenomenon I've seen a few times is old rock bands sucking up a storm in middle age, then somehow getting better- not prime, but better- when they re-emerge as geezers.  

I remember the Who's Last 1982 tour radio broadcast as a kid, they were a shell of themselves.  I saw them live in 1989... (1982 was not their last tour afterall!) and they were in some weird, boring, over-produced phase... then in 1994- they were Dang Good!  Not Live at Leeds good, but still dang good, and back to their more stripped-down selves.  

The SB show was garbage and I haven't seen them since Entwhistle died, so no idea what they are about nowadays.  

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Kind of a funny phenomenon I've seen a few times is old rock bands sucking up a storm in middle age, then somehow getting better- not prime, but better- when they re-emerge as geezers.  

I remember the Who's Last 1982 tour radio broadcast as a kid, they were a shell of themselves.  I saw them live in 1989... (1982 was not their last tour afterall!) and they were in some weird, boring, over-produced phase... then in 1994- they were Dang Good!  Not Live at Leeds good, but still dang good, and back to their more stripped-down selves.  

The SB show was garbage and I haven't seen them since Entwhistle died, so no idea what they are about nowadays.  

The Quadrophenia tour of '96/'97 included the best Who shows I've ever seen. (I saw them in '82, twice in '89, '96, '97, 2000, 2002, 2015, and twice in 2019.)

On the 2019 tour, they did a lot from Tommy and Quadrophenia, complete with a symphony orchestra. The conductor, first violinist, and first cellist toured with the band. The rest of the orchestra was made up of orchestra members from whatever city they were playing in. The musicians would get the sheet music in advance, practice it on their own, and the day of the show they did a short rehearsal with the touring band. Both shows were outstanding, and Pete was very complimentary about the orchestra musicians being able to learn the music and play it flawlessly with only one complete rehearsal. Yeah, they weren't stripped down rock shows, but they really showed off what a great composer Townshend is. If I believed in reincarnation, I'd think he was Beethoven in a previous life.

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I do think the material played can make a difference. Touring behind a POS album like It’s Hard in 1982 (which I also saw) wouldn’t be as good as a later Tommy or Quad show (which I didn’t).

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

The Quadrophenia tour of '96/'97 included the best Who shows I've ever seen. (I saw them in '82, twice in '89, '96, '97, 2000, 2002, 2015, and twice in 2019.)

On the 2019 tour, they did a lot from Tommy and Quadrophenia, complete with a symphony orchestra. The conductor, first violinist, and first cellist toured with the band. The rest of the orchestra was made up of orchestra members from whatever city they were playing in. The musicians would get the sheet music in advance, practice it on their own, and the day of the show they did a short rehearsal with the touring band. Both shows were outstanding, and Pete was very complimentary about the orchestra musicians being able to learn the music and play it flawlessly with only one complete rehearsal. Yeah, they weren't stripped down rock shows, but they really showed off what a great composer Townshend is. If I believed in reincarnation, I'd think he was Beethoven in a previous life.

It was the Quad tour- I got the year wrong- That show was as good as I ever could have hoped to see them in the post-Moon era!!

Townshend's writing nearly single-handedly got me through my teen years, haha.  It's weird discovering their early stuff as a teen, 20 years after the fact, and gravitating so heavily toward it.  Once I heard the first bomb-drop of Armenia City, and everything of that era, I was just amazed at how it overpowered all the 80's crap... my generation was listening to. )

Good to hear Townser is still pulling out interesting takes on their music- he can definitely hold his own with the all-timers!

(not to make you too jelly, but I've got a bunch of original presses/UK originals, Sealed original Live at Leeds, Moon's solo album, Entwhistle's solos- a couple sealed, bootlegs, etc. on vinyl. )

• Like (+1) 1

Was at Slayer in 2019, at a festival. Kerry King and Tommy Araya at the end of their set just walked back and forth from side to side, stopping and taking in the adulation. Chanting of “Slayer… Slayer…” Araya commented that this was their last trip and will miss it. With the crowd cheering for ages, well past the set. Was the last band. (Priest and Anthrax were also there). Seemed like it was a decent amount of time. Hoping it wasn’t. Seen them every trip to Australia.

4 hours ago, Rico said:

I do think the material played can make a difference. Touring behind a POS album like It’s Hard in 1982 (which I also saw) wouldn’t be as good as a later Tommy or Quad show (which I didn’t).

I also think their drummer choices (Kenny 'timekeeper' Jones and Simon Phillips) were pretty odd considering their sound was based on a frenetic K. Moon style.  Ringo's kid was a huuuuge return to normal- damn fine drummer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just glad I went out on a high note after seeing many major acts perform mid '70's through early '90's and then shutting it down.

Seeing McCartney and Springsteen in 2016 were my swan songs.

I will never concert attend again.

On 6/30/2021 at 5:55 PM, Shamrock said:

Was at Slayer in 2019, at a festival. Kerry King and Tommy Araya at the end of their set just walked back and forth from side to side, stopping and taking in the adulation. Chanting of “Slayer… Slayer…” Araya commented that this was their last trip and will miss it. With the crowd cheering for ages, well past the set. Was the last band. (Priest and Anthrax were also there). Seemed like it was a decent amount of time. Hoping it wasn’t. Seen them every trip to Australia.

Was at a Slayer show on their Farewell Tour. They kept adding shows which I think was cool.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.