Subjectively speaking, I think this Bills 2021 DL will be better than the Bills 2013 DL

On 6/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, Mc1320 said:

These rookies are now going to go against grown ass men compared to the kids they were just playing.  None of these rooks have seen the likes of a Mekhi Becton in college.  Let’s hope they can contribute something early and develop into impact players as the season goes along.

Mekhi Becton, at 6'7" 363 lbs, is NOT an obviously innate fit for the Shanahan-based stretch/outside zone running scheme the Jets will be implementing under OC LaFleur. I've heard a Jets radio guy recently suggest he's too massive, at first glance, to regularly "pull" off the stretch responsibilities that lighter, rangier LTs are asked to perform in a San Fran or LA Ram zone blocking scheme.

Although, to be fair, his draft profile RAS and early NFL performances suggests Becton is probably, actually athletic enough to transcend his elite size (which alone leads many lazy pundits to declare him a better fit for power/man blocking schemes), and be a beast in the new. movement-based offensive blocking system.

So, in short: you're not wrong. Even the rebuilding NY Jets field a leveled-up boss at LT. There is some discussion about his ideal "fit" in the new blocking scheme, but I don't think I'd discount his capacity to dominate in any system. It might not happen immediately and consistently, on the field, of course. Zone schemes require synchronicity. 

The DL in 2015 was the best DL in the NFL in decades. Dareus, Kyle and Mario were playing at an all-pro level. The only other DL at that level recently are Suh, JJ Watt and Donald. The current DL has Hughes and Oliver who are just average at this point. Maybe Oliver will get much better. Maybe not. Maybe the 2 rookies will be great. Maybe not. You're comparing all-pros with a bunch of maybe's who have shown little thus far besides Hughes who is reaching the end of his career as a player. It's not even close.

13 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I would agree with all of your assertions but not ready to say Mario >>Rousseau/Epenesa/Basham.  All three of those guys have unknown capabilities, even Epenesa with the way his weight is varying so much.  And IMO, Williams was sporadic, had great games intermixed with mediocre efforts.

He didn't say Mario >> Rousseau/Epenesa/Basham

He said 2013 Mario >> 2021 Rousseau/Epenesa/Basham

And 2013 Mario was an ass-kicking man among men. He was 2nd team All-Pro that year behind only JJ Watt. And while I personally think this year's combination of those three guys playing Mario's position has a very real shot at combining into a very good DE, the likelihood that they play - this year - like Mario did in 2013 isn't far at all from zero.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Eyeroll 1

Considering that D-line had 3 x Pro Bowlers & top 100 NFL players, I highly doubt it. That line dominated to the point QB's like Rodgers & Manning (the better one) looked pedestrian. So much pressure, all the sacks, tackles for loss, etc. made a top 3 defense just amazing to watch.

And after seeing last year's production without Star, claiming he will have no impact is pretty ridiculous. It was clear that his presence was missed.