Non-biased, well thought out comparison of Bills & Chiefs from KC fans perspective.

32 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Biggest Gap is Coaching

reid is a wizard strategist  and McDermott is a meat and potatoes win with your soul and heart

both have their pros and cons

but up against each other…

I will take the brain over the brawn.

So Riddle Me This.  Up until 2017, that was NOT the perception of Reid, and even in 2017 and to some extent 2018, Reid was regarded as a steady regular-season coach who was not "Good Enough" to win the Big Game.  I believe it was Tony Dungy who said flat out in 2017 "the Kansas City Chiefs may win the Superbowl, but it won't be with Andy Reid at Head Coach" [Well Hey Y'all Watch This]

https://sportsnaut.com/kansas-city-chiefs-super-bowl-andy-reid/

Collosal collapses: Reid can’t get the job done.

Patriots aside, Reid has never been able to win the last game of the season. After nearly two decades of serving as a head coach in the NFL, and six trips to conference title games, he’s never been able to secure a ring.

Reid enjoyed the luxury of Donovan McNabb in much of his time with the Eagles and still failed to bring home a Lombardi trophy. Ultimately, its what got Reid fired in Philly.

Not only has Reid been bad in the playoffs, but his teams have been the victims of historic collapses. Only four teams have ever led by 18 or more points at halftime of a postseason game and lost in the NFL. Two of those teams are Reid’s Chiefs.

Heartbreak city: Reid’s luck has gotten worse since arriving in K.C.

Reid was renowned for playoff blunders when he got to Kansas City, bringing with him a 1-4 record in NFC Championship games. Kansas City was used to ugly playoff losses before he ever arrived. It’s gotten worse for both parties.

With Reid at the helm in 2014, the Chiefs blew a 38-10 third-quarter lead over the Indianapolis Colts.

In 2018, with Alex Smith under center, the Chiefs blew a 21-4 third-quarter lead to the Tennessee Titans, who fired their head coach anyway a week later. For the Chiefs, this came a season after losing to Pittsburgh in the playoffs despite allowing zero touchdowns.

Either Reid suddenly acquired magical wizard properties, or coaches, like players, have the ability to improve themselves.

It's also possible that coordinators matter and that Eric Bienemy > Matt Nagy and that Steve Spagnuolo > Bob Sutton

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What changed was KC O Line was a mess, i think they were without both starting tackles.

Kinda.  They were without their starting LT.  They moved their RT to LT, their LG to RT, and played a backup G in his place.

But don't overlook the impact of KC's DBs being flagged for DPI or DH for play that looked about the same as the previous week.

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Only the first 20 minutes are related to KC vs Buffalo

Feel Buffalo is the biggest threat to KC. Think the Bills coaching in particular is strong though out-coached in the two games last year. Main gap between the two organizations from their perspective is Mahommes vs Allen though the love Allen and think his continued growth could further level the playing field.

If they weren't in the AFC they would love to root for the Bills .. they love the team.

This is sparking some good discussion, so Thank You for that! 

I do have to say that I feel "non biased" and "KC fans perspective" are probably oxymorons

The biggest change between the AFC championhip game & the Super Bowl was home field advantage.  KC had it against the Bills, Tampa had it against KC. When Tampa won the NFC before the Bills/KC game I was pretty down thinking that Tampa would be unbeatable as the only team with home field in the history of the Super Bowl.  If the Bills make it this season, the team I don't want to face is the Rams.  

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Riddle Me This.  Up until 2017, that was NOT the perception of Reid, and even in 2017 and to some extent 2018, Reid was regarded as a steady regular-season coach who was not "Good Enough" to win the Big Game.  I believe it was Tony Dungy who said flat out in 2017 "the Kansas City Chiefs may win the Superbowl, but it won't be with Andy Reid at Head Coach" [Well Hey Y'all Watch This]

Either Reid suddenly acquired magical wizard properties, or coaches, like players, have the ability to improve themselves.

It's also possible that coordinators matter and that Eric Bienemy > Matt Nagy and that Steve Spagnuolo > Bob Sutton

Man, the chiefs are getting the best of both worlds from Bienemy.  You'd think he'd have been poached by now, but I guess he's hot garbage at job interviews.

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If the biggest difference between teams last year wasn’t coaching……what was the biggest difference.  Apologies in advance if you had already stated your opinion.  I don’t want to read the same recycled opinions on the same subject, but I am interested in what you think was the biggest difference last season.

Edited by NewEra

2 hours ago, jletha said:

I would disagree that the largest gap is at QB. Allen was very close to Mahomes statistically last year and while I think Mahomes is better there are other positions with larger gaps. Particularly at TE. I think Kelce allows them to exploit defensive matchups that we cant because of his versatility. Beyond that their defensive line was much better than ours.

Im not sure if you swap Mahomes and Allen last season the result of the AFC Champ would be different.

good take. id say its our D and offensive line that has to make the leap to catch up to KC, not qb. if we could hold off the kc onslaught and take advantage of any mistakes...fumbled punt then we win the game. D couldnt handle the speed so we were stuck in zone where kelsay can dominate. i think our cbs just dont have speed to play man and that was not addressed so the coaches are going for D line to make the ball come out/ pressure to negate it. hopefully our run blocking improved. wait and see.

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Only the first 20 minutes are related to KC vs Buffalo

Feel Buffalo is the biggest threat to KC. Think the Bills coaching in particular is strong though out-coached in the two games last year. Main gap between the two organizations from their perspective is Mahommes vs Allen though the love Allen and think his continued growth could further level the playing field.

If they weren't in the AFC they would love to root for the Bills .. they love the team.

Easy for a 2021 Chiefs fan to like the Bills.........they've owned them almost annually on the field since Andy Reid was hired......the only exception was the 2017 win in KC........and McDermott literally traded them their franchise savior.

The early 90's Chiefs fan wouldn't have liked the Bills AT ALL.........the Bills were blocking them and beating them in the playoffs...........and the treatment Chiefs fans got at that AFCCG game in Buffalo was HARSH.    They rolled up in buses expecting a civil contest......I remember seeing the female fans with their sewing kits and such😂.........and they walked into a buzzsaw of drunken, entitled Bills fans.    There was much complaining from the KC area about the welcome they got from Bills fans at that game.    The tables have turned..........Bills fans were whining about the arrogance of KC fans and players after last year's season ending debacle.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

45 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That doesn't seem well-thought-out at all. QB is probably the smallest gap. There are so many other bigger gaps. TE, RB, and DL immediately came to mind without thinking.

They lumped RB, TE, and WRs together as playmakers .. so KC playmakers vs Bills playmakers they felt were even. I would take our WR over theirs, their TE and RB over ours. While they praised the Bills coaching they did caveat that with the fact that in the two games against KC our coaches got out-coached. I LOVE Josh Allen's game and he fits Buffalo, but unless terribly biased you would have to be more confident in Mahommes continuing on hist stellar pace vs Josh .. he is a more known commodity. Mahommes has taken his team to 2 Super Bowls and won one. I hope Josh helps us get their,  but in the 2 playoff games we have lost with him, he has struggled a bit. After this year hopefully it will be an obvious toss-up between the two, but for now most people would take Patrick over Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

As always…, 

The game is won and lost in the trenches.

For the Bills it was this, on top of our entire starting wide receiver Corp being injured for the AFCCG. 

Better O line play = better run and pass games, (see above for injured receivers) 

Better D line play = less time for opponents QB to run their offenses pass and run games. 

It’s the trenches my friends, if they fail it all fails, the league’s history is replete with examples of this right up to this past seasons SB. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Biggest Gap is Coaching

reid is a wizard strategist  and McDermott is a meat and potatoes win with your soul and heart

both have their pros and cons

but up against each other…

I will take the brain over the brawn.

I still feel the defense was hungover a bit after a masterful performance vs the Ravens the week prior. That's as good as I've seen a team play Bal since Lamar joined

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

They lumped RB, TE, and WRs together as playmakers .. so KC playmakers vs Bills playmakers they felt were even. I would take our WR over theirs, their TE and RB over ours. While they praised the Bills coaching they did caveat that with the fact that in the two games against KC our coaches got out-coached. I LOVE Josh Allen's game and he fits Buffalo, but unless terribly biased you would have to be more confident in Mahommes continuing on hist stellar pace vs Josh .. he is a more known commodity. Mahommes has taken his team to 2 Super Bowls and won one. I hope Josh helps us get their,  but in the 2 playoff games we have lost with him, he has struggled a bit. After this year hopefully it will be an obvious toss-up between the two, but for now most people would take Patrick over Josh.

I thought we were talking about the biggest gap that contributed to the outcome of those two specific games and future games. When KC and Buffalo play each other, the biggest gap was not/will not be QB play.

Sure there's a big gap in their accomplishments, but that doesn't matter in this discussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To me the biggest difference between the Bills and Chiefs isn't so much between Allen/Mahomes, it's that the Chiefs have a star player on the defensive line that can make plays in Chris Jones, similar to what the entire Bucs dline did to Mahomes in the SB last year.

This is why it's imperative that a guy like Ed Oliver steps up and starts to look like a top 10 pick or we get stupid lucky with one of our DE draft picks this year because guys like Addison, Hughes, etc aren't the answer in terms of stopping Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Also on a sidenote, I know many fans are aware of this but McDermott was fired by Andy Reid in Philly for playing the same style of conservative, bend but don't break defense he and Frazier run in Buffalo. And in the two games against the Chiefs last year we never really took any chances and just let the Chiefs do whatever they wanted especially in the AFCC game. So it's really a mental thing for McDermott and he's going to need a totally different approach this year to have any real chance of getting past the Chiefs and taking the next step to the SB.

1 hour ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

They were playing against Brady. Do you think the league wanted to miss out on a Mahomes vs Brady Super Bowl.

I'm asking why the officials turned on the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

Thanks for the warning. No need to watch if the consensus these guys came up with was qb play as the major difference.. They must read a lot of ESPN articles.

Yeah, QB ain't the difference at ALL. The Bills WRs were ALL beat up for the playoff game (and KC's receivers were a bit better anyhow) and KC's defense has impact players while ours really does not (at least last year.) Another way of putting it, KC Just has a better defense.

Our hopes are: The Bills get Ertz and become unstoppable offensively. Or, The Bills draft pays huge dividends. Or, KC runs into injury problems but the Bills could too.

Did I miss anything?

3 hours ago, jletha said:

I would disagree that the largest gap is at QB. Allen was very close to Mahomes statistically last year and while I think Mahomes is better there are other positions with larger gaps. Particularly at TE. I think Kelce allows them to exploit defensive matchups that we cant because of his versatility. Beyond that their defensive line was much better than ours.

Im not sure if you swap Mahomes and Allen last season the result of the AFC Champ would be different.

In their two games buffalo offense was nowhere near 100%

there is only one ball to one receiver.  The fact they have a great TE isn’t the issue.