Bi-Partisan Infrastructure Deal!

24 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If you are pre tax and dollars you are still exposed. 

I agree.  But you'll experience nominal gains with "hard assets" which I expect worst-case will keep you even with dollar depreciation.  To lower dollar exposure in my 401K, which has limited options, I'm allocated funds to Large Cap Euro/Asia funds and indexes and emerging market funds.   

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again….we agree. But I’d clarify that the ELECTED OFFICIALS of both parties are responsible. I don’t think the American people are.

I think all the citizens allowing themselves to be bribed into voting for politician's that promises them a lot of "free" stuff are complicit.  If I ran for any federal office on an agenda of fiscal responsibility I would lose in a landslide.  Most Americans are going to experience a very large drop in their standard of living in the near future and in some respects they deserve what they're going to get. 

Free medical care, free college, free phones, free housing, free food.  EV subsidies and tax credits which I never understand that subsidize EV purchases for a couple pulling down over $250K annually.  I'm entitled to this, I'm entitled to that.  As you and I know nothings free. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I agree.  But you'll experience nominal gains with "hard assets" which I expect worst-case will keep you even with dollar depreciation.  To lower dollar exposure in my 401K, which has limited options, I'm allocated funds to Large Cap Euro/Asia funds and indexes and emerging market funds.   

I think all the citizens allowing themselves to be bribed into voting for politician's that promises them a lot of "free" stuff are complicit.  Free medical care, free college, free phones, free housing, free food.  EV subsidies and tax credits which I never understand that subsidize EV purchases for a couple pulling down over $250K annually.  I'm entitled to this, I'm entitled to that.  As you and I know nothings free. 

I’d differ with you there a bit. Neither the democrat or republican candidate was in the ‘free stuff’ camp in 2020. All of those folks dropped out in the primaries. And I don’t think most people vote for their congressmen based on that either. But…as soon as these folks get in office and sit on those committees, they open up America’s purse strings. It’s just easier than saying no. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’d differ with you there a bit. Neither the democrat or republican candidate was in the ‘free stuff’ camp in 2020. All of those folks dropped out in the primaries. And I don’t think most people vote for their congressmen based on that either. But…as soon as these folks get in office and sit on those committees, they open up America’s purse strings. It’s just easier than saying no. 

I can meet you in the middle here.  You've got the party out of power always feigning concern over spending proposals of the other party.  But when they get into the White House those concerns disappear.  Visa, versa.  They produce these wild projections about how the initiative "will pay for itself" but over time it never does. 

But I'm still not willing to completely absolve the voters totally of blame.  If I ran for office against these free spenders of either party in Congress on a promise to restore fiscally responsible policies, cut spending, balance the budget, and over time bring the national debt down to zero I wouldn't stand a chance.  And every special interest and money grubber addicted to government spending would be all over me.  Calling me every despicable term and attaching every negative characteristic to me across the political spectrum.  Heck, I can envision some big spending leftist saying "remember what happened in Germany when Hitler tried to balance the budget?" 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I can meet you in the middle here.  You've got the party out of power always feigning concern over spending proposals of the other party.  But when they get into the White House those concerns disappear.  Visa, versa.  They produce these wild projections about how the initiative "will pay for itself" but over time it never does. 

But I'm still not willing to completely absolve the voters totally of blame.  If I ran for office against these free spenders of either party in Congress on a promise to restore fiscally responsible policies, cut spending, balance the budget, and over time bring the national debt down to zero I wouldn't stand a chance.  And every special interest and money grubber addicted to government spending would be all over me.  Calling me every despicable term and attaching every negative characteristic to me across the political spectrum.  Heck, I can envision some big spending leftist saying "remember what happened in Germany when Hitler tried to balance the budget?" 

I’m not totally absolving the voters… but you have to remember that just because an individual voter wants money spent on things THEY want doesn’t mean they don’t support cuts somewhere else. The problem is that nothing ever gets cut! There’s always another advocate to be found on every congressional committee. 

I’ll over simplify here but the federal government has two primary roles: protect us from enemies abroad and build stuff across state lines here at home. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not totally absolving the voters… but you have to remember that just because an individual voter wants money spent on things THEY want doesn’t mean they don’t support cuts somewhere else. The problem is that nothing ever gets cut! There’s always another advocate to be found on every congressional committee. 

I’ll over simplify here but the federal government has two primary roles: protect us from enemies abroad and build stuff across state lines here at home. 

Agree.

One minor change:

I’ll over simplify here but the federal government has two primary roles: protect us from enemies foreign and domestic and build stuff across state lines here at home. 

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Agree.

One minor change:

I’ll over simplify here but the federal government has two primary roles: protect us from enemies foreign and domestic and build stuff across state lines here at home. 

Of course you added that as all roads lead to Rome.  So is the government protecting us right now from the domestic enemies working from inside in the government?  

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Agree.

One minor change:

Unless the government is the enemy. Which everyone with half a brain knows it’s true.

50 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Yeah I agree with that and I expect when rates need to go up to deal with inflation the housing market one example of a hard asset will stagnate.

We will likely take Europe down with us while the authoritarian but externally capitalist acting China will take their seat in the throne and in a final act, if not done already disband the US dollar as a global reserve currency. Then it’s $50 wonder bread. 

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Of course you added that as all roads lead to Rome.  So is the government protecting us right now from the domestic enemies working from inside in the government?  

Didn't mean to hit a nerve... 😄

Trump threatened to primary GOP lawmakers who favor the bipartisan infrastructure plan.

17 Republicans just voted to advance it, including Mitch McConnell 

Former President Donald Trump left no words unspoken in his most direct attempt yet to tank President Joe Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure deal.

The GOP frontman threatened "lots of primaries" ahead for any Republican lawmakers who cooperated with Democrats to get the bipartisan deal passed.

Trump, who floated plans for infrastructure spending throughout his presidency, has railed against negotiations in recent days, telling Republican lawmakers to skip the talks — not, it seems, because of any specific issues with the substance but because passage of a bill would be "a victory for the Biden administration and Democrats" and "heavily used in the 2022 election."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-threatens-to-primary-gop-lawmakers-over-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-2021-7

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Get er done Joe!!!

15 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trump threatened to primary GOP lawmakers who favor the bipartisan infrastructure plan.

17 Republicans just voted to advance it, including Mitch McConnell 

Former President Donald Trump left no words unspoken in his most direct attempt yet to tank President Joe Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure deal.

The GOP frontman threatened "lots of primaries" ahead for any Republican lawmakers who cooperated with Democrats to get the bipartisan deal passed.

Trump, who floated plans for infrastructure spending throughout his presidency, has railed against negotiations in recent days, telling Republican lawmakers to skip the talks — not, it seems, because of any specific issues with the substance but because passage of a bill would be "a victory for the Biden administration and Democrats" and "heavily used in the 2022 election."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-threatens-to-primary-gop-lawmakers-over-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-2021-7

Trump is such a loser. Just a total sore loser 

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Demented Biden thinks he's FDR with this ridiculous infrastructure bill.  What an idiot.  Another failure.  What a mess.  

When was Trump’s Infrastructure Week? Was it before or after Trump Care week? 

Everything was always two weeks away - right?

What a mess

• Haha (+1) 1

f4083d6c-acea-48e8-9271-a886f064f80f-860

Oh my: “I do not support a bill that costs $3.5 trillion,” says AZ Sen. Kyrsten Sinema. 

“Perhaps Senate Republicans are smarter than they’ve looked in this infrastructure negotiation — or maybe they just lucked out. After the GOP’s negotiating group announced an agreement in principle on the bipartisan infrastructure bill, Chuck Schumer announced that he’d move forward on both that bill and the parallel $3.5 trillion package containing everything Republicans wouldn’t support. The bigger bill would move through reconciliation, cutting out the GOP entirely as long as Schumer can hold all 50 of his caucus together. Not so fast, Kyrsten Sinema declared shortly afterward.”

Plus: “If Sinema’s getting worried about the ticket price in relation to purplish Arizona, Joe Manchin has to be getting the shakes in deep-red West Virginia. West Virginians have a long track record of being in the Bacon Party, so some of this might be mitigated by how much pork-barrel spending Manchin can direct to the Mountain State. However, with inflation burning a hole in working-class buying power and Democrats attempting an end run to get a lot of progressive wish-list items funded under the rubric of ‘infrastructure,’ it remains to be seen just how enthusiastic Manchin will be for the Pelosi-Schumer Special.”

45 minutes ago, BillStime said:

When was Trump’s Infrastructure Week? Was it before or after Trump Care week? 

Everything was always two weeks away - right?

What a mess

Trump hasn't been President for 6 months.  The topic was Biden's infrastructure failure.  Pay attention and try to stay on topic.  What a mess.  

6 hours ago, BillStime said:

Agree.

One minor change:

So if we agree....and you know we rarely do...when do we start cutting out EVERYTHING else that this bloated government's apparently determined is part of their job description? 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

So if we agree....and you know we rarely do...when do we start cutting out EVERYTHING else that this bloated government's apparently determined is part of their job description? 

When we get elected to office?