Has anyone ever visited The Ralph just to visit?

As a local WNYer(not right in Orchard Park) who attends a lot of games I never really go out of my way to do this but I can see the appeal.  I try to get out and about all over WNY as much as I can during the Summer so maybe I should try to add this stop to my checklist once a Summer or so...

I have been there though a few times on Non-gamedays for whatever reasons and it is a pretty cool experience because of how different the vibe is from gamedays.  Cool topic.   

• Like (+1) 1

I never visited The Ralph just to visit. But a long time ago my friends and I quite often visited Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe because they left it open back then and you could just walk around. It was awesome, but the stadium was on campus and didn’t serve booze back then during games, and they had strict checking at the gates. So our visits served a dual purpose.

We duct taped bottles of booze to the underside of our seats. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I've been several times, sometimes when I'm in the area for work, and my co-workers have not seen the stadium, I'll take them by.  

As for tours, if you know you'll be in the area, call the front office or ticket office and see if there are any planned tours going on.  I managed to get one for my brother-in-laws the Saturday before the Eagles game a couple years ago.  Even though I've done the stadium tour several times, I still get excited walking out onto the field at the end, looking up and seeing all those seats that will be filled the next day.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2021 at 6:20 AM, NobesBLO13 said:

I work overnights and take the 219 home to South Buffalo. Sometimes I’ll take the 20A exit to drive by the stadium.
It’s a beautiful site at 4am with no one else around.

The middle of the night when everyone else is sleeping is actually a beautiful time almost anywhere. By the stadium must be awesome! What a contrast between game days! 

We used to strap 12 packs on the back of our bikes and ride thru the nice neighborhoods in the wee hours as teens. The feeling of solitude and owning the night was great. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Augie said:

The middle of the night when everyone else is sleeping is actually a beautiful time almost anywhere. By the stadium must be awesome! What a contrast between game days! 

We used to strap 12 packs on the back of our bikes and ride thru the nice neighborhoods as teens. The feeling of solitude and owning the night was great. 

I couldn't help but think of this song after reading your post

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I never visited The Ralph just to visit. But a long time ago my friends and I quite often visited Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe because they left it open back then and you could just walk around. It was awesome, but the stadium was on campus and didn’t serve booze back then during games, and they had strict checking at the gates. So our visits served a dual purpose.

We duct taped bottles of booze to the underside of our seats. 

You da Man, Dog!

• Like (+1) 1

Very interesting topic, and timely, as the wife and I will be coming in from out of town in about a month.  We don't get up there often, and have never gone there other than for a game.  I was just thinking about seeing if they offer tours or to what extent they'll let you come on-property on non-game days.  Lots of good input and stories in this thread.  Hopefully there'll be a training camp practice open to the public.

22 minutes ago, Colorado Mike said:

Very interesting topic, and timely, as the wife and I will be coming in from out of town in about a month.  We don't get up there often, and have never gone there other than for a game.  I was just thinking about seeing if they offer tours or to what extent they'll let you come on-property on non-game days.  Lots of good input and stories in this thread.  Hopefully there'll be a training camp practice open to the public.

It can happen for you two, I'd try to book in advance though:  https://www.buffalobills.com/stadium/events/stadium-tours-and-photo-shoots

On 6/26/2021 at 12:29 PM, Just Jack said:

As for tours, if you know you'll be in the area, call the front office or ticket office and see if there are any planned tours going on.  I managed to get one for my brother-in-laws the Saturday before the Eagles game a couple years ago.  Even though I've done the stadium tour several times, I still get excited walking out onto the field at the end, looking up and seeing all those seats that will be filled the next day.  

I was in Green Bay for the 2010 Bills game and the day before, took the Lambeau Stadium tour.  Now Buffalo doesn't have as much a history as the Packers, and Orchard Park isn't the Mecca Green Bay is, but we've got enough to put together a nice museum and a regular stadium tour.  I think fans, especially on Saturdays before game days, would come to the stadium and enjoy a tour and a decent museum...I don't think it would take a lot on the Bills end, and if you end the tour at the team store, they'll surely reap the profits.

On 6/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, Ned Flanders said:

I was in Green Bay for the 2010 Bills game and the day before, took the Lambeau Stadium tour.  Now Buffalo doesn't have as much a history as the Packers, and Orchard Park isn't the Mecca Green Bay is, but we've got enough to put together a nice museum and a regular stadium tour.  I think fans, especially on Saturdays before game days, would come to the stadium and enjoy a tour and a decent museum...I don't think it would take a lot on the Bills end, and if you end the tour at the team store, they'll surely reap the profits.

I did the Lambeau tour before the Green Bay game in 2018...thought it was fantastic!