The return of the red helmet in 2022?

As I said in the other thread, as long as it's the 90's era red helmet (not the redesign from the Bledsoe era), I'm all for it as it's the reason 5 year old me became a Bills fan in the first place.

I have no complaints about the current uniform & helmet, but I'd love to see the 90's red helmet + our current uniform. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

The disappointing thing about this for me is, it will mean we'll see less of the AFL throwbacks which are all-world in my book.

Help a brother out. You're talking about the white kit? Why less? I don't pay attention to all the talk about unis.

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

this, particularly if the helmet was one that was already used in the NFL.  I could understand prohibiting new colors without approval or whatever, but you should be able to wear whatever helmet your team ever worn.  

Couldn’t disagree more.  It was never about color.  The NFLPA and the NFL were studying if players wearing just 1 shell and padding set to get the best fit possible to reduced concussions. 

The issue with having 2 different color helmets was that it nearly always required a 2nd shell and although helmets are very close in size they were worried about proper fit and mostly proper tightness was missing.

The way you can tell it was not about color was teams could paint the shells for a throwback game and paint them back, but for most teams the cost and missed practice time as they waited for the outer coating to dry was not worth it.

The NFL and NFLPA must have decided that the number of concussions was not significantly reduced by 1 single shell that having a second shell was prohibitive and therefore agreed to make the change.

We will see - once they add this data - they could eventually return to a single shell or stay with 2 - we will see how the seasons go.

16 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

It was Joe Ferguson, but it's not clear he said that as opposed to the coaching staff thought it. 

That's correct.  Joe was a little short for a QB (around 6ft) and since every other team in the division had white helmets (Jets, Fish, Pats and Colts) it was felt that it would give him an advantage finding receivers downfield.  Not sure this came from Joe, pretty sure it was the coaches or front office.

8 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

blue on blue, with red hats would be a sick look.

It would be sick as in I would throw up sick. Bring back the red helmets for one game a year is fine. Lose the all reds and all blues forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I’ve always preferred the white helmets. 

Given the choice, however, I’ll take the red helmets over the dark, dark blue used during the drought. Gross. 

I hated those navy blue looking suckers! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Dead wrong 

So you would pass on a SB win if the team was wearing red helmets 😁

some folk just can’t be satisfied 😂

Go Bills!!!

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

So you would pass on a SB win if the team was wearing red helmets 😁

some folk just can’t be satisfied 😂

Go Bills!!!

Tell me again, Nostradamus, what their record in League Championship games wearing red helmets is. 🤦‍♂️

I do know their record in title games wearing white helmets is 2-1. 

Some folk just don’t know what they’re talking about😂

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

That's correct.  Joe was a little short for a QB (around 6ft) and since every other team in the division had white helmets (Jets, Fish, Pats and Colts) it was felt that it would give him an advantage finding receivers downfield.  Not sure this came from Joe, pretty sure it was the coaches or front office.

I thought Coach Stephenson was the main proponent, probably on input from his staff.

50 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Tell me again, Nostradamus, what their record in League Championship games wearing red helmets is. 🤦‍♂️

I do know their record in title games wearing white helmets is 2-1. 

Some folk just don’t know what they’re talking about😂

Hence my post…, how cool would it be…, 😂 

that and I’m not superstitious, 👍

Edited by Don Otreply

Nice. For years I’ve thought it’d be cool to see a 90s throwback kit with the red helmets but they’ve had this weird one helmet rule instituted for a while now. Been ten years now since they switched to the white helmets and this year they’re gonna look sharp as heck with that white facemask. I’d love to see them come up with a new alternate, maybe with a blue helmet or something. 

• Agree 1