Ross Tucker podcast w/ Greg Cosell - AFC East - solid analysis

7 hours ago, Kwai San said:

I am firmly in the camp of, Allen personally will not regress nor the Bills, I just don't think he will achieve those numbers he had last year.  He will be good - possibly even better but with more support he will not have to carry/drag the team so much at the end of the games.  Oh if he still has huge numbers I won't be disappointed at all I am just thinking/hoping that there is team improvement and mega points and yards aren't needed as much.  Time will tell.

GO BILLS!

They will ride Allen and Diggs just like last year.  The passing game is who they are.  I wouldn’t expect anything different this season if everyone stays healthy.

• Agree 1

On 6/24/2021 at 1:56 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Cosell had great comments on Tua, trying to be positive and  didnt directly  trash Tua..  Tua was " Up and down", "needs the offense to work for him", "works well within structure" ,  "you have to the structure" "teams got an understanding of what he was"...figured him out in other words, one reason why he sucked so bad against the Bills at season end.  And credits Chan Gailey for creating the right structure, just like Gailey did in Buffalo creating Fitzmagic and making CJ Spiller look like an all star., 

As you can tell I am a non-believer in Tua, think yes under near ideal situations like at Alabama he can excel...good luck duplicating that in the NFL.

Amen! I've said it on the board many times. But I'm glad they're sticking with him. Just prolongs their run at mediocrity. Thank you, fish!

On 6/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, billybrew1 said:

I could see Allen regress if Diggs gets hurt or we lose a couple others like Beasley and Sanders and we don't get Ertz.

I could also see a regression if our line falls apart. You need all three to have a great offense. The QB, the line and the weapons.

Couldn't that be said of every good team ?????

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, H2o said:

Is it just me or does Tucker sound like he's taken a few too many blows to the ole noggin? 

If I had to guess, I think it’s just you..

Odd voice, to be sure. But I like his takes, like that he loves the Bills and he’s always well prepared.

’Thats a BINGO!’

BE772447-1ADC-4D59-BD58-41F3BD118C87.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, H2o said:

Is it just me or does Tucker sound like he's taken a few too many blows to the ole noggin? 

H2O, I don’t think so.  He does have a voice that come off quirky to some, but As I mentioned, I would call into his show on NFLR at least once a week, and he was quite engaging and could debate or discuss with certain callers that liked to debate issues with him, and he was spot on most of the time.  He is a Princeton Grad, and has his hand in a lot of different things.  He’s the sideline guy for the Eagles as he lives near there, this podcast and a couple of other things.  His voice takes getting used to though so nderstand you’re comment.  I’m just used to him.  He was a loss on NFLR, as he had loyal callers, and an audience.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Cosell is an analyst and football historian not given to hyperbole so when he says that Allen is the most physically gifted QB ever it actually means a lot. Confirms what many of us with less knowledge and perspective have thought. And just wait till he masters that bubble screen.

As for the AFC East, Finns are the real competition. If Tua can develop as a competent game manager, which at this point looks to be his ceiling, they are talented enuf to be very tough. I really don’t know if he’s ready to take that step. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Cosell is an analyst and football historian not given to hyperbole so when he says that Allen is the most physically gifted QB ever it actually means a lot. Confirms what many of us with less knowledge and perspective have thought. And just wait till he masters that bubble screen.

As for the AFC East, Finns are the real competition. If Tua can develop as a competent game manager, which at this point looks to be his ceiling, they are talented enuf to be very tough. I really don’t know if he’s ready to take that step. 

I honestly think the dophins have the best overall roster in the division minus QB. But again if Tua is even serviceable and plays at Josh Allen 2019 type of level they will be not only a real threat to win the division but championship caliber team.

Still think the Pats aren't going away quietly and at the very least will field a top 5 defense again under Belichik given all the offseason additions and opt out guys returning.

AFC East is truly AFC BEAST!!

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

On 6/25/2021 at 8:20 AM, FilthyBeast said:

I honestly think the dophins have the best overall roster in the division minus QB. But again if Tua is even serviceable and plays at Josh Allen 2019 type of level they will be not only a real threat to win the division but championship caliber team.

Still think the Pats aren't going away quietly and at the very least will field a top 5 defense again under Belichik given all the offseason additions and opt out guys returning.

AFC East is truly AFC BEAST!!

lmfao

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 6/24/2021 at 2:09 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Good points although I think Josh's hard work, work with Palmers etc also had a positive impact.

You did miss one glorious receiver in your 2018 dismal list...the one and only Kelvin Benjamin who had the lowest catch rate (35%) in the NFL that year, he didnt last the season.  Credit to Beane/McDermott admitting/recognizing a mistake.  I am amazed the Giants signed him this year.

I will reference back to your spot-on post, the minute another gripe is raised about Tebow as TE “stealing away an opportunity/roster spot” from some more deserving third party—KB must’ve seemed like an April Fools joke for those sad sack Giants fans, smh…

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2021 at 2:46 AM, GoBills808 said:

The 'improved his accuracy' thing just reads to me as 'didn't watch him before 2020'. What he actually improved was his completion percentage.

Allen was throwing to Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Deonte Thompson, Ray Ray McCloud, and the ghost of Charles Clay his rookie year. Next year with some actual NFL wideouts in Beasley and Brown, guys who can get open and catch the ball vs other actual NFL DBs, his completion percentage improves. Still doesn't have a reliable TE. Then in 2020 the whole 'nobody could have seen this coming' crowd keeps saying how unheard of it is for a QB to improve their 'accuracy' this dramatically...because they can't admit they either weren't watching him the two seasons prior or just plain missed the fairly obvious signs he was special.

No, a great deal of the reason he improved his accuracy was that he got more accurate. A lot more accurate. And there really isn't much argument to this. His deep accuracy improved a lot last year and his middle distance a while lot more. 

And while some some in the "nobody could have seen this coming" crowd, as you call it, did indeed say it was unheard of to improve their accuracy this dramatically, and those people were indeed wrong, most didn't say it was unheard of. They correctly said it was extremely unusual, with only maybe two or three examples of any similarity, including Favre and McNair and about one other guy.

Plenty improve some. It was a reasonable and common guess that Allen would improve significantly. But very very very few improve as much as Allen did.

There weren't signs he was special. Or rather, there are a ton of guys with signs they might be special who never get there. There were plenty of signs of potential. And signs of improvement. People who knew for sure he was special after his second year were pretty much people who confused very very positive guesstimations and projections with facts.

He even told us each offseason what he was working on, predicting before the second year that he would improve on short passes and touch, and before the third that he'd improve on longer stuff. Each time saying he'd work on fundamentals and mechanics, and each year they improved in just the way he said they would. That kind of improvement isn't the result of receivers.

And yeah, the receivers helped. But most of the improvement was Josh.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2

On 6/24/2021 at 1:26 PM, eball said:

I listened to this primarily to hear what they would say about the defense, but wow, Greg Cosell was effusive in his praise of Allen.  I still say anyone expecting a "regression" in play from Allen this season just doesn't get it.

As for the defense, DL was the primary topic and Cosell talked about the Bills using both Rousseau and Basham inside on "sub-fronts."

With respect to Miami, Cosell said Tua needs to function "in rhythm and in a structure" to be effective.  Wouldn't predict anything but said Miami is trying to give him the tools.

Cosell predicts Cam will be the QB in NE***.  Thinks their D will be "very solid."

I didn't listen to the Jets analysis because eff the Jets.

If Cam ***** the bed I wouldn't be surprised if NE turns to Jones. Either way they most likely will use their QB as a game manager so if they do go to Jones he won't be asked to put the team on his back.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:41 PM, FilthyBeast said:

The AFC East is right up there with the AFC North and NFC West as the toughest division in the NFL which is why I think it will be a minor miracle if the Bills sweep the division again this year, or even go 5-1 in division play for that matter. Bills should still be the favorites by default but man is the rest of the division loading up.

Dolphins have a rock solid team top to bottom and will be in the thick of the division and playoff picture even with mediorce QB play. If Tua takes a big leap as many expect they could be a dark horse SB team.

Jets ceiling is probably 6 or 7 wins regardless of their QB situation.

Patriots added a ton of notable bodies and get a lot of opt out guys back on a team that went 7-9 and definitely see them back in the division title picture even with marginally better QB play than last year. Either way the clock is ticking on Belichik's coaching career and he won't go out low note.

The Phins and Jets have miserable LB corps, the Bills will eat them alive.

The Jets dbs are horrible too

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM

37 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

The Phins and Jets have miserable LB corps, the Bills will eat them alive.

The Jets dbs are horrible too

Divisional/rivalry games are usually tough. I would be surprised if the Bills go 6-0 again. 

Credit to @Coach Tuesday, who put this its own thread Chandler locked as duplicative......apparently we can't re-direct the post when it's the OP

Posted 4 hours ago · IP

Check out this blurb from NFL Analyst Greg Cosell, guest-writing for Peter King in today’s FMIA:

“4. I think, speaking of Josh Allen, he is the most physically gifted quarterback in the NFL. That is not a bold, controversial take. It is just a statement of fact. Whether he develops into the best quarterback in the NFL is a different question, one that remains to be answered. Remember, Allen is 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Think about that for a moment. I have stood right next to him, and he is a big man. I stood a few feet away watching him throw, and I have never seen a ball come out of the hand of a passer like it does with Allen. It was otherworldly. The name that often comes up, and rightly so, when the talk is of the most physically talented quarterbacks of all time is John Elway. Allen is a much bigger man than Elway. Allen is the most intriguing quarterback I have watched and evaluated in all my years at NFL Films. It would not surprise me at all if we soon call Allen the most physically gifted quarterback the league has ever seen. Stay tuned.”

😲

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, teef said:

whatever happened to tucker on sirius nfl?  i didn't like him at first, then he really grew on me.  suddenly, he was gone.

He cut out the middle man and went into podcasting. I agree. When I first heard him I found the voice incredibly annoying, but his analysis had the depth required for an every day host. Unlike “Mr. surface observation” Charlie Weiss who I can’t take more than once a month.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:46 PM, GoBills808 said:

The 'improved his accuracy' thing just reads to me as 'didn't watch him before 2020'. What he actually improved was his completion percentage.

Allen was throwing to Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Deonte Thompson, Ray Ray McCloud, and the ghost of Charles Clay his rookie year. Next year with some actual NFL wideouts in Beasley and Brown, guys who can get open and catch the ball vs other actual NFL DBs, his completion percentage improves. Still doesn't have a reliable TE. Then in 2020 the whole 'nobody could have seen this coming' crowd keeps saying how unheard of it is for a QB to improve their 'accuracy' this dramatically...because they can't admit they either weren't watching him the two seasons prior or just plain missed the fairly obvious signs he was special.

You'd think that someone at Pro Football FOCUS would actually know this...

Edited by Philly McButterpants

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Was that someone named something other than Jordan Palmer?  Who is a bit over the top about Josh...

I would assume it wasn’t but I’m not sure. Ross tucker said it was someone in the league.

Greg Cossell also said himself earlier in the interview (at the 5:15 mark) that Allen is the most physically gifted QB in the NFL.

Nothing surprising in what they said. Having listened the team success in 2021 really comes down to three factors:

1) Can Josh Allen first sustain his 2020 level of play if not improve incrementally on it?

2) Have the Bills gotten better on D- line?

3) Is the talent around JA on offense any better (plays into point #1)?