Ross Tucker podcast w/ Greg Cosell - AFC East - solid analysis

I know some people don't like him, but I find him to be just factual and willing to admit when he is wrong. He doesn't try to do hot takes as was mentioned in a different thread.

They chat for the first 4:56, but start with the Buffalo Bills at that point.

He mentioned that Josh's growth is in particular incredible given that his accuracy increased by so much even though they are predominately a mid and deep throwing team (i.e., less bubble screens than most teams). Also touched on what Zach Ertz can provide and focused on the Defensive line.

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I listened to this primarily to hear what they would say about the defense, but wow, Greg Cosell was effusive in his praise of Allen.  I still say anyone expecting a "regression" in play from Allen this season just doesn't get it.

As for the defense, DL was the primary topic and Cosell talked about the Bills using both Rousseau and Basham inside on "sub-fronts."

With respect to Miami, Cosell said Tua needs to function "in rhythm and in a structure" to be effective.  Wouldn't predict anything but said Miami is trying to give him the tools.

Cosell predicts Cam will be the QB in NE***.  Thinks their D will be "very solid."

I didn't listen to the Jets analysis because eff the Jets.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

19 hours ago, teef said:

whatever happened to tucker on sirius nfl?  i didn't like him at first, then he really grew on me.  suddenly, he was gone.

I used to call into Ross a lot on his 6 am show, and sometimes on the opening drive with papa.  There was a rumor he said something to piss off someone on air, but I have nothing to confirm.  He was one of the most popular guys in the morning shows.  He has a real following.

I've occasionally listened to him on tune in radio, bit it’s not a call in show and that’s where he shines interacting with the callers.

As far as the podcast, I listened and thought Cosell’s analysis was spot on with respect to our defense.  No real surprises, but worth a listen.  For those who haven’t listened, there is an app Tune In Radio.  It’s free.  Type in Ross Tucker once downloaded and another free resource to get in you’re football fix.  Tuck’s takes are pretty funny and insightful.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The 'improved his accuracy' thing just reads to me as 'didn't watch him before 2020'. What he actually improved was his completion percentage.

Allen was throwing to Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Deonte Thompson, Ray Ray McCloud, and the ghost of Charles Clay his rookie year. Next year with some actual NFL wideouts in Beasley and Brown, guys who can get open and catch the ball vs other actual NFL DBs, his completion percentage improves. Still doesn't have a reliable TE. Then in 2020 the whole 'nobody could have seen this coming' crowd keeps saying how unheard of it is for a QB to improve their 'accuracy' this dramatically...because they can't admit they either weren't watching him the two seasons prior or just plain missed the fairly obvious signs he was special.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Cosell had great comments on Tua, trying to be positive and  didnt directly  trash Tua..  Tua was " Up and down", "needs the offense to work for him", "works well within structure" ,  "you have to the structure" "teams got an understanding of what he was"...figured him out in other words, one reason why he sucked so bad against the Bills at season end.  And credits Chan Gailey for creating the right structure, just like Gailey did in Buffalo creating Fitzmagic and making CJ Spiller look like an all star., 

As you can tell I am a non-believer in Tua, think yes under near ideal situations like at Alabama he can excel...good luck duplicating that in the NFL.

• Agree 4

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The 'improved his accuracy' thing just reads to me as 'didn't watch him before 2020'. What he actually improved was his completion percentage.

Allen was throwing to Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Deonte Thompson, Ray Ray McCloud, and the ghost of Charles Clay his rookie year. Next year with some actual NFL wideouts in Beasley and Brown, guys who can get open and catch the ball vs other actual NFL DBs, his completion percentage improves. Still doesn't have a reliable TE. Then in 2020 the whole 'nobody could have seen this coming' crowd keeps saying how unheard of it is for a QB to improve their 'accuracy' this dramatically...because they can't admit they either weren't watching him the two seasons prior or just plain missed the fairly obvious signs he was special.

You're exactly correct.  Don't forget about the improvement in the offensive line.  Not having a defender in his face on almost every throw made a big difference as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Good points although I think Josh's hard work, work with Palmers etc also had a positive impact.

You did miss one glorious receiver in your 2018 dismal list...the one and only Kelvin Benjamin who had the lowest catch rate (35%) in the NFL that year, he didnt last the season.  Credit to Beane/McDermott admitting/recognizing a mistake.  I am amazed the Giants signed him this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I listened to this primarily to hear what they would say about the defense, but wow, Greg Cosell was effusive in his praise of Allen.  I still say anyone expecting a "regression" in play from Allen this season just doesn't get it.

I am firmly in the camp of, Allen personally will not regress nor the Bills, I just don't think he will achieve those numbers he had last year.  He will be good - possibly even better but with more support he will not have to carry/drag the team so much at the end of the games.  Oh if he still has huge numbers I won't be disappointed at all I am just thinking/hoping that there is team improvement and mega points and yards aren't needed as much.  Time will tell.

GO BILLS!

The AFC East is right up there with the AFC North and NFC West as the toughest division in the NFL which is why I think it will be a minor miracle if the Bills sweep the division again this year, or even go 5-1 in division play for that matter. Bills should still be the favorites by default but man is the rest of the division loading up.

Dolphins have a rock solid team top to bottom and will be in the thick of the division and playoff picture even with mediorce QB play. If Tua takes a big leap as many expect they could be a dark horse SB team.

Jets ceiling is probably 6 or 7 wins regardless of their QB situation.

Patriots added a ton of notable bodies and get a lot of opt out guys back on a team that went 7-9 and definitely see them back in the division title picture even with marginally better QB play than last year. Either way the clock is ticking on Belichik's coaching career and he won't go out low note.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

The AFC East is right up there with the AFC North and NFC West as the toughest division in the NFL which is why I think it will be a minor miracle if the Bills sweep the division again this year, or even go 5-1 in division play for that matter. Bills should still be the favorites by default but man is the rest of the division loading up.

Dolphins have a rock solid team top to bottom and will be in the thick of the division and playoff picture even with mediorce QB play. If Tua takes a big leap as many expect they could be a dark horse SB team.

Jets ceiling is probably 6 or 7 wins regardless of their QB situation.

Patriots added a ton of notable bodies and get a lot of opt out guys back on a team that went 7-9 and definitely see them back in the division title picture even with marginally better QB play than last year. Either way the clock is ticking on Belichik's coaching career and he won't go out low note.

Boy, do I disagree with this. The NFC West stands alone by a mile as the NFL's most competitive division. While the fish and pats have greatly improved they will still lose to Buffalo in sweeps. I figure one close game and one blow-out each. The Jets are the laughing stocks of the NFL now.

Josh Allen s simply king of the AFC East.

San Fran, LA and Az. Went to great lengths this year to be king's of their division. Seattle has a future HOF QB still in his prime at the bottom of the division. That is nuts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You're exactly correct.  Don't forget about the improvement in the offensive line.  Not having a defender in his face on almost every throw made a big difference as well.

If you guys are intimating that JA didn't improve a ton too, you're crazy imho. JA clearly got better every year. It was all three, JA himself, his weapons and his line, allthewhile Daboll got to expand his offense with his coaches (who were mainly new) and players and getting better in so many ways over time. It was all exponential. It still is now with Sanders, Gabriel entering year two, we hopefully fix the LG position and develop the run game a lot more this year. Zach Ertz will be a huge add and allow our offense to compete with any in the league. The defense on the other hand should be good but unlikely great which is what we probably need to beat the chiefs or Bucs. Can Groot, Boogie And AJ bring electricity to the defense? Can Tremaine Edmunds take a big step? Will the LCB position hold up? A lot of teams are going to try and beat us this year by running the ball down our throat and controlling the clock, can we play great run D? I think those four questions are real and the answers will probably determine our season. Will it be very good (I say we sweep the East again) or great (can we win it all?) 

I'll tell you, Tampa and KC are loaded and the class of the league. I think theBills lie at #3 but we are a clear notch below the top two right now.

the four questions: 1 maybe a bit looking promising for '22, 2 I sadly doubt it. 3 Probably up and down there all year but hopefully up for the playoffs. Like last year. 4 If we lose an AFC game, it will be because NE controls the clock against us with our D unable to get off the field.

3 hours ago, eball said:

As for the defense, DL was the primary topic and Cosell talked about the Bills using both Rousseau and Basham inside on "sub-fronts."

With respect to Miami, Cosell said Tua needs to function "in rhythm and in a structure" to be effective.  Wouldn't predict anything but said Miami is trying to give him the tools.

Cosell predicts Cam will be the QB in NE***.  Thinks their D will be "very solid."

I didn't listen to the Jets analysis because eff the Jets.

I could see Allen regress if Diggs gets hurt or we lose a couple others like Beasley and Sanders and we don't get Ertz.

I could also see a regression if our line falls apart. You need all three to have a great offense. The QB, the line and the weapons.

40 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I could see Allen regress if Diggs gets hurt or we lose a couple others like Beasley and Sanders and we don't get Ertz.

I could also see a regression if our line falls apart. You need all three to have a great offense. The QB, the line and the weapons.

Any QB regresses when those things happen on their team. 

What I think may very well happen is that our D will shine a bit brighter than most believe it will, and our Offense will be noticeably more surgical in its play, and will just squeeze the heart out of defenses all season long. The down side, is that we will have to endure the talking heads disbelief that Buffalo is doing this to there opponents.

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

The AFC East is right up there with the AFC North and NFC West as the toughest division in the NFL

According to who? we have a team that went of a FA spending spree with Cam still at QB, with their QB of the future being a guy who can't move and has an average arm, we have a rookie HC w/ a rookie QB for a team that has been historically mismanaged and is thought of as a laughing stock around the league, and we have the Phins, who have a QB who refuses to throw 10 yards down the field, the dolphins do have a lot of talent on their team, but Tua needs to learn to not dink and dunk every play. So we have 1 legit SB contender in buffalo, a fringe playoff team in MIA, and two teams who I think will win somewhere between 5-9 games (Pats closer to 9, JESTS closer to 5)

Edited by BruceVilanch
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup. After his rookie year my thoughts on Allen was his accuracy was fine, his mechanics and footwork needed work. But holy hell what an arm and competitiveness. If he could put it all together he had hall of fame potential. 2019 we saw more flashes of it and then 2020 it all came together

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

If you guys are intimating that JA didn't improve a ton too, you're crazy imho. JA clearly got better every year. It was all three, JA himself, his weapons and his line, allthewhile Daboll got to expand his offense with his coaches (who were mainly new) and players and getting better in so many ways over time. It was all exponential. It still is now with Sanders, Gabriel entering year two, we hopefully fix the LG position and develop the run game a lot more this year. Zach Ertz will be a huge add and allow our offense to compete with any in the league. The defense on the other hand should be good but unlikely great which is what we probably need to beat the chiefs or Bucs. Can Groot, Boogie And AJ bring electricity to the defense? Can Tremaine Edmunds take a big step? Will the LCB position hold up? A lot of teams are going to try and beat us this year by running the ball down our throat and controlling the clock, can we play great run D? I think those four questions are real and the answers will probably determine our season. Will it be very good (I say we sweep the East again) or great (can we win it all?) 

I'll tell you, Tampa and KC are loaded and the class of the league. I think theBills lie at #3 but we are a clear notch below the top two right now.

the four questions: 1 maybe a bit looking promising for '22, 2 I sadly doubt it. 3 Probably up and down there all year but hopefully up for the playoffs. Like last year. 4 If we lose an AFC game, it will be because NE controls the clock against us with our D unable to get off the field.

I was not suggesting that Allen didn't improve.  I was merely suggesting that in addition to the receiving group, improvements to the o-line made a difference as well.