Miami condo building falls down

\GoBillsInDallas/

Just now, The Avenger said:

That looks like when Israeli forces were leveling buildings in Gaza a few weeks ago....

You can only hope that many of those units were either empty or owned by snowbirds who had gone north for summer.... 

The article said there were plenty of people in there. And I think the flashes you see at the top are people taking pictures with their phones of what just happened. 

It's definitely sketchy, though. I've never seen a building just collapse like that on its own.

I watched a video on a news channel a bit ago... an engineer mentioned that it, being so close to the ocean, could have had compromised girders/foundation due to the constant saltwater, 40 years or so worth. Either way, this is a tragic event. 

1 hour ago, Metal Man said:

How does something like that happen in this day and age?

Has to be some serious negligence somewhere behind this.

In things I've seen about other building collapses around the word, and it usually comes down to the architect not properly calculating the load or forces at work, or the construction not following the pans correctly in in how it was constructed or the materials used (i.e. - improper concrete). There is also a chance that things like wind and salt air were more corrosive than anticipated and nobody designed/built for that. Given that this was built in Miami in the 80s when there was a huge construction boom and it was probably impossible to oversee everything, my money is on someone cutting corners in the construction and it managed to hold up for 40 years before suffering a catastrophic failure.

6 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

In things I've seen about other building collapses around the word, and it usually comes down to the architect not properly calculating the load or forces at work, or the construction not following the pans correctly in in how it was constructed or the materials used (i.e. - improper concrete). There is also a chance that things like wind and salt air were more corrosive than anticipated and nobody designed/built for that. Given that this was built in Miami in the 80s when there was a huge construction boom and it was probably impossible to oversee everything, my money is on someone cutting corners in the construction and it managed to hold up for 40 years before suffering a catastrophic failure.

This all makes sense and I'm sure it will be some flavor of your thoughts.

I would just hope that over the years inspections would start to show some signs of failure in situations like these.

Regardless it is a pretty sad story.

21 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

I would just hope that over the years inspections would start to show some signs of failure in situations like these.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any requirement for owners of high rise buildings to hire qualified inspectors for structural inspections

I'm pretty sure city/state building inspectors have all they can do to handle new construction and complaints, they don't have any kind of regular schedule

Some info on rescues/accounted for/missing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/24/us/miami-surfside-building-collapse.html

About 35 people were rescued from the building, and two were pulled from the rubble, Ray Jadallah, a Miami-Dade Fire Rescue assistant fire chief, said at the news conference

Officials have accounted for 53 people who lived in the building but 99 people remained unaccounted for by mid-afternoon, said Rachel Johnson, a spokeswoman for the mayor of Miami-Dade County. She stressed that the numbers continued to shift as the authorities figure out how many people were actually in the building overnight.

Charles W. Burkett, the mayor of Surfside, told the “Today” show on NBC that dogs had been searching for people trapped under the rubble since 2 a.m.  “Apparently when the building came down, it pancaked,” he said. “So there’s just not a lot of voids that they’re finding or seeing from the outside.”

He said at least 15 families were being relocated to hotels. He added that it was unclear how stable the rest of the building was. Governor DeSantis said engineers would be part of the investigation into what caused the building to collapse.

27 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

It's a terrible story and one that we don't see too often in this country, fortunately - I have seen stories about similar collapses in third world countries and the devastation is incredible.

If there are inspections my guess is that that they wouldn't tell you much unless you could see things like cracks or concrete erosion. If floor joist connections were made improperly, insufficient rebar was used in concrete slabs, concrete was too porous to support designed load you probably wouldn't be able to detect such things, even if you did a pretty thorough structural inspection. Sadly, they only learn about these things after a tragedy. 

Holy crap!  How does that happen?  Sinkhole of some sorts?

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The article said there were plenty of people in there. And I think the flashes you see at the top are people taking pictures with their phones of what just happened. 

It's definitely sketchy, though. I've never seen a building just collapse like that on its own.

That close to water, how is foundation supported?  

6 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

It's a terrible story and one that we don't see too often in this country, fortunately - I have seen stories about similar collapses in third world countries and the devastation is incredible.

If there are inspections my guess is that that they wouldn't tell you much unless you could see things like cracks or concrete erosion. If floor joist connections were made improperly, insufficient rebar was used in concrete slabs, concrete was too porous to support designed load you probably wouldn't be able to detect such things, even if you did a pretty thorough structural inspection. Sadly, they only learn about these things after a tragedy. 

It held for 40 years.  Has to be something way underground?  Why I mentioned sinkhole?  Is that possible?

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Holy crap!  How does that happen?  Sinkhole of some sorts?

That close to water, how is foundation supported?  

It held for 40 years.  Has to be something way underground?  Why I mentioned sinkhole?  Is that possible?

Butterfly effect from Pegula's drilling 🙁

• Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, TBBills said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7778631002

Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

I was just coming here to link this

Here's the direct link, not through google:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2021/06/24/building-collapse-miami-structure-had-been-sinking-into-earth/7778631002/

image.thumb.png.53304272e256870e70e0ae910422a83a.png

That doesn't mean the sinking is responsible for the collapse, of course, and when everything is investigated it wouldn't surprise me if there were a "storm" of interacting factors - maybe sinking combined with a structural design where floor supports could be "popped" off the support beams somehow.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm used to seeing things like this in poorer parts of the world. I wouldn't expect it in a first world country. Also, didn’t a bridge collapse down there a few years ago as well?

That and zombie attacks, this is Florida baby!

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm used to seeing things like this in poorer parts of the world. I wouldn't expect it in a first world country. Also, didn’t a bridge collapse down there a few years ago as well?

What we learned today, kids, is that Florida is not a 1st world country.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.