This is a simple Poll. Will Josh Allen regress?

Will Josh Allen Regress, Stay the same or get better?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Will Josh Regress

• Yes.. a lot
    • Yes a little
    • No about same numbers
    • No he will be a little better
    • HECK NO! Josh will take another leap!

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I am going to ask all of you to get on topic or get out of it. Is staying on topic that hard for you guys. We are talking about Josh Allen, not about your daily life's and certainty not about you and your personal lives... 

So I ask you folks. please... Get on topic or get out...

Thanks

ON THE TOPIC.

I and the the vote shows that Josh will be as good or better and not regress.. lets talk about this... please?

There’s not much more to talk about that we haven’t already discussed 964858319 times over the last 6+ months since the AFCCG.  

🥰

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

again, you are using crowd noise as a source of possible regression. unreal. the kid has played before crowds since hs. do you think the crowd noise affected him negatively back in 2019 in the thanksgiving game?

if anything, crowd noise motivated his game.

I think there were probably home games in 2019 where Josh came out a little bit too "amped up" from the energy in the stadium

But I think that partly goes from awareness of his own flaws and being self-critical, and *knowing* there were throws he couldn't make safely that he really needed to be able to hit.

Being more practiced and hopefully another year further into building muscle memory for his  new throwing technique should hopefully help keep the nerves down.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

There’s not much more to talk about that we haven’t already discussed 964858319 times over the last 6+ months since the AFCCG.  

🥰

That's never stopped us before

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So this brings up a relevant ancillary point.  Opinion on Daboll is mixed on this forum. 

He won Assistant Coach of the Year last season, and PFF (fwiw) rates him the 2nd best play caller in the league, after Matt LaFleur of the Packers.

Some here have expressed a far more negative opinion of him.

So, if he's a creative genius, he's well aware of the fact that the rest of the league is dissecting his offense to figure out how to shut it down, and he's fully capable of coming up with new wrinkles and staying ahead of the herd.

If he's not, one factor in any observed "regression" on the part of Josh Allen might be that our offense has been "solved" and we have not "evolved" to match it.

Really good post. I expect Daboll will compensate with balance. Not balence in a traditional sense, it will come in waves similar to what you see with the Chiefs. Some games the Chiefs will run an inordinate amount of times almost completely giving up on the passing game. Other games they barely run at all. The Patriots did the same for a long time. At this point we likely don't even need a very good running game to be good at it as a result of what we did last year. I feel last year, even towards the end, teams just never respected how good our passing game was. I don't expect that happens again in 2021. Which also doesn't mean we have to have a great run game either. We just can't treat it like our first Super Bowl.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Really good post. I expect Daboll will compensate with balance. Not balence in a traditional sense, it will come in waves similar to what you see with the Chiefs. Some games the Chiefs will run an inordinate amount of times almost completely giving up on the passing game. Other games they barely run at all. The Patriots did the same for a long time. At this point we likely don't even need a very good running game to be good at it as a result of what we did last year. I feel last year, even towards the end, teams just never respected how good our passing game was. I don't expect that happens again in 2021. Which also doesn't mean we have to have a great run game either. We just can't treat it like our first Super Bowl.  

great reply to a great post. To your bolded above. I think we do not have to have a good running game but at the same time... I think we need to have that threat of one. Something we don't have..  Does not have to be a good/great run game... but if the threat does not exist then throwing as often as we do adds extra stress to the offensive line... to counter balance that, Josh being an amazing athlete has helped but should not be the end of all means... I think early next season we should show that if we decide to run it... we will.. and when we decide to pass it lots...  we will 

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Really good post. I expect Daboll will compensate with balance. Not balance in a traditional sense, it will come in waves similar to what you see with the Chiefs. Some games the Chiefs will run an inordinate amount of times almost completely giving up on the passing game. Other games they barely run at all. The Patriots did the same for a long time. At this point we likely don't even need a very good running game to be good at it as a result of what we did last year.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think we do not have to have a good running game but at the same time... I think we need to have that threat of one. Something we don't have..  Does not have to be a good/great run game... but if the threat does not exist then throwing as often as we do adds extra stress to the offensive line... to counter balance that, Josh being an amazing athlete has helped but should not be the end of all means... I think early next season we should show that if we decide to run it... we will.. and when we decide to pass it lots...  we will 

So I agree somewhat with you both.  There were three games last season where we ran the hell out of the ball successfully - first Patriots game (Josh was recovering from shoulder) 190 yds; Chargers 172 yds; Broncos 182 yds.  The Broncs game we broke 350 yds passing; the Chargers and 1st Pats game we ran more than we passed.

So we DID have games where we "ran an inordinate amount of times" and then (for example) the Seasnakes the following week after the Patriots we passed all over them.  We had games where we could run when we wanted to.  The problem as I see it, is that we had games where we couldn't run when we NEEDED to - the Titans game, the KC game, the Ravens.  The Ravens game was particularly pathetic - 16 rush attempts for 32 yds!!!!  

Lots of reasons why, but bottom line to my eyes, we simply couldn't run block effectively against the best DLs.

We don't need to be leading the league in attempts or rush yardage, but we DO need to be able to run block and run effectively against a team that is working to shut down our passing game and (should be) leaving themselves vulnerable, except that we can't hold the blocks and the back gets stuffed in the backfield.  Some of that's on the back of course, but a good bit is on the OL.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I agree somewhat with you both.  There were three games last season where we ran the hell out of the ball successfully - first Patriots game (Josh was recovering from shoulder) 190 yds; Chargers 172 yds; Broncos 182 yds.  The Broncs game we broke 350 yds passing; the Chargers and 1st Pats game we ran more than we passed.

So we DID have games where we "ran an inordinate amount of times" and then (for example) the Seasnakes the following week after the Patriots we passed all over them.  We had games where we could run when we wanted to.  The problem as I see it, is that we had games where we couldn't run when we NEEDED to - the Titans game, the KC game, the Ravens.  The Ravens game was particularly pathetic - 16 rush attempts for 32 yds!!!!  

Lots of reasons why, but bottom line to my eyes, we simply couldn't run block effectively against the best DLs.

We don't need to be leading the league in attempts or rush yardage, but we DO need to be able to run block and run effectively against a team that is working to shut down our passing game and (should be) leaving themselves vulnerable, except that we can't hold the blocks and the back gets stuffed in the backfield.  Some of that's on the back of course, but a good bit is on the OL.

When we have to run.. I want to let it be known that we will destroy with what little we pass.. vice versa

On 6/30/2021 at 7:56 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

great reply to a great post. To your bolded above. I think we do not have to have a good running game but at the same time... I think we need to have that threat of one. Something we don't have..  Does not have to be a good/great run game... but if the threat does not exist then throwing as often as we do adds extra stress to the offensive line... to counter balance that, Josh being an amazing athlete has helped but should not be the end of all means... I think early next season we should show that if we decide to run it... we will.. and when we decide to pass it lots...  we will 

What I don't understand is the reluctance to use the pass catching abilities of T J Yeldon. Higher draft choice then both Moss and Singletary and Yeldon did appear threatening in the AFC Championship. Connects with one of the hardest throws/catches of the day. Singletary meanwhile is falling flat on his face. I don't get it.

Bring back Yeldon and use him...

... I regress... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Figster said:

What I don't understand is the reluctance to use the pass catching abilities of T J Yeldon. Higher draft choice then both Moss and Singletary and Yeldon did appear threatening in the AFC Championship. Connects with one of the hardest throws/catches of the day. Singletary meanwhile is falling flat on his face. I don't get it.

... I regress... 

yeldons are a dime a dozen though

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

yeldons are a dime a dozen though

I feel the same about Singletary. T J Yeldon was drafted higher. Yeldon has more experience in the league, good size, catching abilities and knows the O. Championship caliber coaching at the college level and used as a do it all work horse for Saban.

Not being drafted by the Beane head was Yeldons biggest problem IMO.   

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Figster said:

... I regress... 

The drop by Singletary in that AFCC still sticks out for me. Wasn't going to be a scoring play or nothing, but it did appear there was a good amount of green in front of him. Never know how big of a play it could have been, but looked like it would have gotten a 1st down and more for sure. 

Anyway, thought I read somewhere and also saw some post here that M. Breida has pretty good hands. I'm not too familiar with him so hopefully he does.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

The drop by Singletary in that AFCC still sticks out for me. Wasn't going to be a scoring play or nothing, but it did appear there was a good amount of green in front of him. Never know how big of a play it could have been, but looked like it would have gotten a 1st down and more for sure. 

Anyway, thought I read somewhere and also saw some post here that M. Breida has pretty good hands. I'm not too familiar with him so hopefully he does.

The Bills needed some kind of spark in the biggest game the franchise has seen in decades. QB and O that had been on fire all season was struggling.  I realize its only one play and perhaps it wouldn't have even mattered. Point is Yeldon makes the big catch when called upon in the same game after sitting on the practice squad almost all season. The kind of catch Yeldon can routinely make. Better fit for the Bills O. Better all around player IMO.

High hopes for the speedster Brieda...

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

No.  Not sure on the numbers for this season, but his level of play and overall impact on the game will just continue to improve   Barring injury, he will go down as one of the top 10 quarterbacks in NFL history.

Agree. His stats my possibly go down some, or could go up also. Imo if it does go down, it won't be enough to hurt or slow down the team. If anything I hope the running game is a lot better which would maybe be the reason if his numbers are down a little. If so, running the ball much more would definitely mean not quite as much passing

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:24 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm sorry but that's not universal, that's just you and that's the way you choose to live your life.

Viewing life negatively is a choice and that's your choice.  You have decided with age to be motivated by negativity and you want to let everyone on this board to know your pessimistic view of the Bills all the time.  

I have this growing suspicion that Gene is actually my mother-in-law. And, she's a Pats* fan. It all makes sense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1