This is a simple Poll. Will Josh Allen regress?

Will Josh Allen Regress, Stay the same or get better?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Will Josh Regress

• Yes.. a lot
    • Yes a little
    • No about same numbers
    • No he will be a little better
    • HECK NO! Josh will take another leap!

This poll is closed to new votes

28 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Statistically speaking the vast majority of offenses that have put up 50 or more TDs have regressed the following season, with a few exceptions. Tennessee 2019 to 2020 improved on their 50+ TD offense. There was a New England offense that did as well. It’s just not very common, so I would expect the Bills offense may not put up 50+ TDs again. Does that mean Josh regressed? Depends on what the metric is.

very very well put. 

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

A Pats* fan I work with was trying to make a case that the Bills were some sort of anomaly last season, and would not repeat last season's success.

One of his arguments (which is a common refrain on the Pats* fan forum): "Allen has been exposed..."

"Right," I replied, "Allen has been exposed as an elite passer, and running threat who can read defenses, and extend plays with his athleticism. The Bills are doomed."

An improved running game may reduce the amount Allen passes, but I don't see any reason to assume anything that should be interpreted as a regression on the horizon. Barring some nagging injury (like Mahomes' turf toe), Allen really should just continue his trajectory. Likely he gets a little better, and at some point, levels off. Don't expect him to start "regressing" until his body starts to decline in a decade, or so.

For the sake of amenable relations, I hope you didn't point out Newton has been exposed as wearing women's scarves.  And we won't even begin to discuss what Belichick has been exposed of. 🤨

3 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

For the sake of amenable relations, I hope you didn't point out Newton has been exposed as wearing women's scarves.  And we won't even begin to discuss what Belichick has been exposed of. 🤨

Or Kraft, for that matter!

19 hours ago, Wacka said:

Ron Jaworski., that was a Pole!

I have a friend who is cousins with Ron. I have a signed "Polish Rifle" t-shirt from him, from her. 

That's about as interesting as this original thread...............

• Dislike 1

20 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Regress meaning he doesn’t have two franchise record setting seasons in a row?

Love to be  wrong but the numbers probably go backwards a little..no one is underestimating him anymore …

This.

I think that two and three-deep safety look will still be something that he will have to adjust to more. Having legit speed on both sides of the field with Sanders (not having a healthy Smoke last season hurt) will help a bit with challenging that coverage, but he will still have to pickup his short timing route game to challenge those heavy-nickel/LB/safeties playing the shallow zones trying to get Allen to hold the ball longer till his receivers running deeper routes run into the zones at the sticks where the safeties are waiting.

The defense against Allen was to take away the quick hitters and remove the home-run deep shots he prefers against man coverage to get him to pull the ball down to either try to escape or have to reset to try to find deeper off-schedule targets that were blanketed. That was problematic against teams with better fronts and pass rush who could force him into mistakes.

Allen's numbers could take a dip while he actually plays better ball. It sounds counter intuitive but if he can leverage more running game productivity and balance to slow up pass rushers as well as hit more short passes that pick up YAC it may not be reflected in the gaudy QB numbers that win awards, but would likely help this team take the next step against teams with better defenses.

I do think our defense will be better so that is a wild card - better defense, more opportunities to score.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I think all QB play will take a step back this year with crowd noise to contend with.  Was it ever easier to operate an NFL offense than last year?  

Good point.

Just wait to see what Zach Wilson and Tua do in front of a rocking Highmark Stadium.  Would not shock me at if both of them get easily rattled and when/or if Tua gets rattled, his game will come undone.

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think he'll regress a little in terms of stats/overall production, but likely because our running game ends up being more effective and/or the defense reverts back closer to 2019 form so won't need to score as much.

IF your a more effective QB then I would not call that regression 

• Like (+1) 1

For reference, here are Josh's number through his career.

image.thumb.png.bbf052caf794c2ade7d00f64858e1452.png

In terms of regression, if the running game and run blocking is better I expect him to drop in pass attempt and total passing yards.  The only regression I see could come from comp % and TD/INT ratio but I don't think that is going to happen as he seems to be getting the mental game while also fixing his mechanics.

A question about regression without a selected measure for regression and without defining what regression means as measurement.

First, regress to the mean? As in you pick any measure you think indicates regression and he regresses to the mean of his first first two seasons? 

Second, what measure would be, which is implied, "regression." QBR? Yards? TDs? INTs? YPA? 

I'd bet he's pretty close to last year across all measures, some might be up, some might be down. So a few fewer TDs, maybe. But that could be a product of a more productive run game. I wouldn't be surprised by fewer INTs and an increase in both QR ratings. I just don't see a statistically significant derease in measures across the board. 

I guess it depends on what "regress means."  I expect a statistical regression because our running game should be better, meaning more rushing TDs, and greater use of running plays to ice games.  I don't expect him to regress on a per-play basis.  I think he will be even more efficient than last season.  

3 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Allen will regress, yes. So will the team overall, they were overachievers last season. They will not go 6-0 in the division again. Last season with no crowds was anomalous. No crowd noise had a lot to do with Allen's play IMO. He'll come back down to earth and play more like 2019 than 2020.

Finheaven is where the fish fans hangout. You and your hard on for the fins should head on over that way. 

BTW you say foolish things. 

3 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Allen will regress, yes. So will the team overall, they were overachievers last season. They will not go 6-0 in the division again. Last season with no crowds was anomalous. No crowd noise had a lot to do with Allen's play IMO. He'll come back down to earth and play more like 2019 than 2020.

Thats my boy @Gene1973, you NEVER disappoint.  Ever

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Finheaven is where the fish fans hangout. You and your hard on for the fins should head on over that way. 

BTW you say foolish things. 

He’s pure enjoyment for me now.  we’ve seen some great ones over the years…… the force is special with this one. kittens GIF

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think Josh will be better this season. Not so sure about the rest of the team though...

The thing is, now that teams have had an entire offseason to study what the Bills did last season my take is that it will be more difficult for Buffalo to run a lot of those same plays. 

Plus, every AFC East team got much better in free agency and the draft. The Patriots and Dolphins both might field top 5 defenses. JMO