A closer look at Boogie Basham

Speed kills on the edge and power wins in the middle. The Bills DL are all upside down.  Neither Star or Phillips is strong enough to be a great disruptor and at best they can hold the point of attack. Epenesa is more power but with him dropping weight he might add a speed rush element. Oliver is quick but lacks power to beat double teams.

Rousseau looks like the best candidate to be an elite pass rusher. My guess is they will put him in situations where he doesn't have to think or recognize plays much and can just attack the QB.

Basham I agree appears to have position flexibility. I can see him lining up next to Oliver in obvious pass rush situations.  If he can play DT snaps at the NFL level then Zimmer is probably not making the roster. 

On 6/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, Victory Formation said:

I think Boogie will be an elite EDGE at the next level. I’m thinking that between him and Oliver this DL will set the tempo for the rest of this Bills defense this year. I think he will lineup mainly at RDE and LDT. Anyways, I’m done gabbing about it. I wanted him at 30, I caused many posters to pull their hair out because of my infatuation with him @NewEra @GunnerBill. I’m just tired of message board talk, I want the football season to start already.

you will likely be the first one to have his Bills jersey, if you don't already ;)

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I wanted Marshall. 

Yea I liked him too (although there was a medical concern too that partly caused his slide). I wasn't talking about who I might have wanted I was talking about who I thought was legitimately a consideration for them. I never thought the Bills were going receiver. It was edge, corner or Etienne. 

Edited by GunnerBill

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

you will likely be the first one to have his Bills jersey, if you don't already ;)

You’re right. If I were to get a jersey, it would likely be Allen and Boogie’s, all white, away jerseys. Problem I’m having with that is I don’t want them to blow an ACL or get cut or traded from the team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Speed kills on the edge and power wins in the middle. The Bills DL are all upside down.  Neither Star or Phillips is strong enough to be a great disruptor and at best they can hold the point of attack. Epenesa is more power but with him dropping weight he might add a speed rush element. Oliver is quick but lacks power to beat double teams.

Rousseau looks like the best candidate to be an elite pass rusher. My guess is they will put him in situations where he doesn't have to think or recognize plays much and can just attack the QB.

Basham I agree appears to have position flexibility. I can see him lining up next to Oliver in obvious pass rush situations.  If he can play DT snaps at the NFL level then Zimmer is probably not making the roster. 

Nah. "Speed kills on the edge and power wins in the middle" is a cliche, one which is true sometimes and not others. Different guys win different ways. Reggie White was fairly decent on the edge, and it wasn't mostly from speed. Jon Randle was terrific inside and it wasn't mostly from power. Aaron Donald is plenty strong in the middle but it's his burst, leverage and quickness that makes him special. Those are maybe the three most obvious examples, but there are a ton more. Everyone's a combination of speed and power and you can win or lose in your own different way.

Star and Phillips are plenty strong enough, but so far they haven't showed themselves to be sudden enough. Neither one is quick enough to be a penetrator or to get into their guy early enough to get him off balance enough to run him back. Though it's early for Phillips. Maybe he'll develop some of that. He's penetrated a bit here and there.

Oliver is powerful as hell, especially for his size but even without size as a factor. He beats doubles more than anyone else we've got. He hasn't put it all together yet, but shows the possibility of being really really good.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I liked him too (although there was a medical concern too that partly caused his slide). I wasn't talking about who I might have wanted I was talking about who I thought was legitimately a consideration for them. I never thought the Bills were going receiver. It was edge, corner or Etienne. 

That's one guess.

IMO there were at least two or three others there who would have been a consideration. Not sure who those two or three would have been but there were a group of seven or eight guys, one or two or three of whom would probably have been possibilities.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 6/24/2021 at 7:07 AM, Apocalypse Nuts said:

But let's all take the time to appreciate that nickname:  "Boogie Basham"   That has greatness written all over it!  I mean, if he's even decent in this league, a name like that will precede him to each new matchup.  And I'm gonna love screaming "YEAH BOOGIE BABY!!!!!!!!" when he makes a good play.  I just love that name!  Who wouldn't?

The two cheers I hope to hear loud and often this season should be:

GROUT! GROUT!! GROUT!!!  (although that will sound like something out of the Cleveland Dogpound with 80K fans doing it) and BUHGIE! BUUHGIE!!, BUUUHGIE!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:39 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Treebeard.  Or call me Fangorn, if you prefer.

Hey, I just recently went backpacking in the area where they filmed some of the exterior Fangorn scenes.  Stunning alpine scenery.

I'm already making plans for next years trip. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

You’re right. If I were to get a jersey, it would likely be Allen and Boogie’s, all white, away jerseys. Problem I’m having with that is I don’t want them to blow an ACL or get cut or traded from the team. 

Thank you for Taking One for the Team and refraining!  Put that jersey order in the Trash, Sir!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Perhaps a front 4 with Basham and Rousseau at tackle could be considered the Bills' thinset.

Just don’t spread them too thin or you’ll leave voids in the coverage. 🥁Ba dum dum. We’re here all week folks. Don’t forget to tip your waitress. 😁

• Haha (+1) 2

I think the Bills believe Boogs can provide an edge setter/run stuffer when he plays DE and a pocket collapser/stuntman(sets up teammates and has good awareness when stunting) when he lines up on the interior, and imo because of his burst if he works on his hand play a lot he could improve greatly as a pass rusher specifically on the inside but to some degree also on the outside.