A closer look at Boogie Basham

4 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

Didnt get to read the article(just not paying lol) so thanks for sharing the excerpts, from those I like what was written but I thought we already knew most of this from watching him and college and seeing what his athletic strengths are at the combine?, but its always nice getting more info, so thanks again for posting def excited for Boogs and Rousseau to star in-"How Hughes and the Bills Defense Got Their Groove Back"(executive produced by angela bassett).

He is not athletically necessarily prototypically built like Rousseau but that is not to say he is not athletic, his combo of power and acceleration is excellent and with his build and size he has been coached right in making himself versatile playing DE and DT, he has the size and power to anchor the edge but not be a prototypical 'edge' rusher but he does have excellent pash rush skills from the inside and the work he puts into his technique there shows.  Because of his work ethic, skill, power, acceleration/burst, and versatility I was super happy with the pick, he can be a great player/piece within the right scheme and with the right players around him.  He's actually more polished from an overall technique standpoint than Rousseau right now, though they clearly have different roles/strengths.

Yeah, he's very unlike the Bills other DEs. He's been weighed between 275 and 285, and we don't have such big guys at DE. I believe Addison is presently our heaviest at 265. Epenesa was somewhat comparable when drafted, and then was immediately told to lose weight. Rousseau is taller and longer but weighs in at 266. Basham is a bit short-armed and very thick and strong.

Unless Basham is told to lose weight (which I doubt, personally) he's an outlier among our DEs.

Probably he's this year's Quinton Jefferson. Jefferson was supposed to be a hybrid DE / 3-tech, though the optout of Lotulelei scuppered that plan. That's Basham. Carlos does not look like our DEs. He's a tweener, really, which is what you expect when you bring in a guy to be a hybrid.

Someone up above said he thought Basham was going to be elite. From your mouth to God's ear, but that's very unlikely. Wouldn't be shocking to see him be quite good, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

So, our coaching staff is gushing about the versatility of my man Boogie, a low second round pick.

What I'd like to know, what I've wanted to know since the day he was drafted, is why is the same not happening with Ed Oliver? I did not like the pick, but I brought myself into the fold by envisioning a big, not huge guy, a top 10 pick with speed and versatility moving all over the line creating mismatches.  Why hasn't this happened? What about Oliver has led the coaches to only give him snaps inside?  What is it about my man Boogie that gives coaches the cajones to move him around the line when they were afraid to do the same with Oliver?

13 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Boogie will be an elite EDGE at the next level. I’m thinking that between him and Oliver this DL will set the tempo for the rest of this Bills defense this year. I think he will lineup mainly at RDE and LDT. Anyways, I’m done gabbing about it. I wanted him at 30, I caused many posters to pull their hair out because of my infatuation with him @NewEra @GunnerBill. I’m just tired of message board talk, I want the football season to start already.

How the DL develops this season is the thing I am most intrigued and excited about.  Let’s face it, that was the Bills’ one true weakness last season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

This guy's got the juice. I liked the draft pick immediately. I think a lot of people felt the same way.

As someone who does not have the patience (and probably intelligence) to keep track of all the prospects in the draft each year, I really like hearing this.  I knew who Rousseau was with his 18.5 sacks a year removed, but nothing about Boogie. 

I just watched the new Bills Embedded series last night (which appears to be the only episode unless I'm wrong), and it was all about the draft.  In depth on Rousseau of course, but very little on Basham and the rest.  What I liked seeing though was Joe Schoen talking with other teams on the phone about possible trades leading up to the Basham pick and telling them they would trade picks if their guy wasn't there anymore.  It was Boogie all the way and he fell to them.  They clearly did not expect to see him still on the board by that round 2 pick.  They didn't show Basham himself much but he was clearly overjoyed to be drafted so early.  Looked like he was super emotional when all the Bills brass were on the phone congratulating him.  He was barely holding it together and I really love seeing that passion.  That young man will appreciate his opportunity in the NFL.  There is no doubt about that.  And with the motor he has, gonna be a really nice combination on the field I think.

But let's all take the time to appreciate that nickname:  "Boogie Basham"   That has greatness written all over it!  I mean, if he's even decent in this league, a name like that will precede him to each new matchup.  And I'm gonna love screaming "YEAH BOOGIE BABY!!!!!!!!" when he makes a good play.  I just love that name!  Who wouldn't?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hindsight is always very good, but I do wonder if the Bills had certainty they would get Boogie B in the second round, if they would have passed on Rousseau and gone a different direction in round 1 ???? 🤷‍♂️

Water under the bridge, they have both now, here's hoping both become key pieces of a strong defense for many years ahead.

On a side note, I really wonder what the young draft picks thought when they got picked by the Bills this year.  We all know Buffalo was football Siberia for the last almost 20 years.  But then we get this young gunslinger at QB, some real and competent coaching and team management, and actually start making the playoffs with regularity (that is so nice to type!) and then even make it to within one game of the Super Bowl.  I imagine that might have changed the way these draft prospects thought about the possibility of being drafted by B'lo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Thx Hap as this was interesting.  I called Polian on NFLR last night and he had some interesting points too many to share but as it pertains to Basham, he thought he wojld be a nice compliment to Oliver as he could see a way to get him in the rotation at DT more than DE.  He said a big if on Rousseau only in his gap playing, but he could see situations where if Rousseau progresses to exchange with Addison or even times where they play 5 up front with Rousseau as the 5th lineman.  He then went into how McD plays his defense etc.  it’s on demand in the last hour last night on late hits not for me, but his comments.

Edited by machine gun kelly

9 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I love the cold, I love winter. 😁

Anyways, I think Rousseau will be good, but I think Basham will be the better player both short term and long term. I’m glad the value worked out the way it did though. Boogie at 61 was a miracle. 

Whether he becomes elite or not, Basham seems to be a disruptive and havoc type player. He is going to do well.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If Basham excels at 3TDT then the Bills are really going to have an interesting situation when Ed Oliver’s rookie deal is up.

John, to put in context Polian was speaking more to Basham as a possible effective hybrid, so being moved inside and out.  He saw Rousseau more only in the outside, but needing more development.

He did make a big point bow under respected Milano’s impact on the entire team.  He pointed specifically the difference how the 20 defense looked with and without him.  Also, part of the impact of 18, and 19 too NFL defense in the Bills was the role Milano makes.  Not the only factor, but somewhat if the glue in the defense.  He indicated he wasn’t surprised at all at Milanos contract extension.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

so if you scroll up and click on the cover1 chart I put up (clck to 'embiggen') - there were a handful of games where he was charted playing as many snaps at LB as at DT, and one where he played 23 snaps at LB per the charting.

What was going on there?

When looking at that chart Hap it seem like he really was either DT or LB....game 5 he had 23 snaps as a LB!  More than likely without studying any tape it was situational based on what the O was throwing at them.  In 2020 there was an almost even split a few games for DT and LB.  Has to be a situational thing.  At least that is what those #'s say to me.  Thanks for that chart....really does break it down well.....

Edited by Kwai San
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Hindsight is always very good, but I do wonder if the Bills had certainty they would get Boogie B in the second round, if they would have passed on Rousseau and gone a different direction in round 1 ???? 🤷‍♂️

Water under the bridge, they have both now, here's hoping both become key pieces of a strong defense for many years ahead.

Actually, what I heard was that they never expected Rousseau to be there at 30 and that Boogie was actually their target in the first round. When both were still available at 30, they investigated some options to trade down a bit -- expecting that one of them would still be available early in the 2nd. That's why they took the full allotted time to make the pick. When no decent trade option materialized, they pulled the trigger on Rousseau -- and were dumb-founded that Boogie was still on the board late in the 2nd round. It sounds like Boogie was in their plans all along -- and they would try to do whatever they could to get him (even tried trading up in the 2nd). Rousseau was just icing on the cake. I know all of these team spin the whole "I can't believe he was still there..." thing. But in the Bills case, it sounds like that was true for both of their first two picks.

• Like (+1) 3

DL group on the 53:

Jerry Hughes

Mario Addison

Greg Rousseau

Carlos Basham

AJ Epenesa

Ed Oliver

Star

Harrison Phillips

Vernon Butler

The mix of proven performers in the twilight of their careers (Hughes, Addison) with the young up and comers (Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Oliver) is very interesting and could be one of the biggest areas of upside potential in 2021. 

If they keep 10 maybe Darryl Johnson. If not, he will land a spot in the league. Maybe Beane trades him for a 6th. 

I really like the direction the Bills are going on the DL. Last year it seemed like we relied too much of the refs calling the game fairly. 

Like how Jerry is literally held on every play. 

You can effect speed rushers with holds that aren’t called. Power rushers, not nearly as much.

So with these two additions, we may be able to more effectively push through uncalled holding penalties particularly during the playoffs when the refs “let them play”. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Boogie will be an elite EDGE at the next level. I’m thinking that between him and Oliver this DL will set the tempo for the rest of this Bills defense this year. I think he will lineup mainly at RDE and LDT. Anyways, I’m done gabbing about it. I wanted him at 30, I caused many posters to pull their hair out because of my infatuation with him @NewEra @GunnerBill. I’m just tired of message board talk, I want the football season to start already.

I too wanted Boogie. Just glad McB focused strong on DE's this draft. Jerry and Addison are not long for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

DL group on the 53:

Jerry Hughes

Mario Addison

Greg Rousseau

Carlos Basham

AJ Epenesa

Ed Oliver

Star

Harrison Phillips

Vernon Butler

The mix of proven performers in the twilight of their careers (Hughes, Addison) with the young up and comers (Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Oliver) is very interesting and could be one of the biggest areas of upside potential in 2021. 

If they keep 10 maybe Darryl Johnson. If not, he will land a spot in the league. Maybe Beane trades him for a 6th. 

This could be me having a soft-spot for the underdog, but it may be worth noting that Efe Obada had 5.5 sacks, 4 TFL, and 15 QB hits last season.

Now I wasn't watching Panthers games, so I can't comment on what else was going down to enable that -but it's a fact that would have led the Bills in sacks and QB hits and tied Jerry Hughes in TFL.

So I'm all Ent-like "don't be hasty" on getting out the scissors for Obada.

I think it's gonna be rough on McDermott and Beane. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

I have thought the same but not sure what other direction they'd have gone. The other guys that I thought might have been in play at #30 all came off the board in the few picks before them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This could be me having a soft-spot for the underdog, but it may be worth noting that Efe Obada had 5.5 sacks, 4 TFL, and 15 QB hits last season.

Now I wasn't watching Panthers games, so I can't comment on what else was going down to enable that -but it's a fact that would have led the Bills in sacks and QB hits and tied Jerry Hughes in TFL.

So I'm all Ent-like "don't be hasty" on getting out the scissors for Obada.

I think it's gonna be rough on McDermott and Beane. 

Agree 110% on that Frodo....