A closer look at Boogie Basham

Athletic article by Joe B:

https://theathletic.com/2651325/2021/06/22/boogie-basham-film-study-what-does-the-bills-second-round-pick-do-well-and-where-is-he-limited/

As for Basham, the Bills are getting someone who plays the same position as Rousseau in title only, adding a complementary piece to the skill-sets they already have on the roster.

Strengths:

Basham (6-foot-3, 281 pounds, 32.5-inch arm length) is built much differently than Rousseau, and shines in ways that work well with the Bills’ first-round pick. Basham looks like a defensive tackle in the Bills’ scheme with the chops to play defensive end. His tape shows the same.

His best wins are usually to the inside when he can use his recognition skills of the blocker and combine them with an explosive burst and hand movement to get to the quarterback. Basham loves the stutter-step to inside swim move, as it allows him to use his best attributes when in a one-on-one situation. It’s a fun move to watch because he also brings closing speed to the table.

Joe points out a couple plays where he excelled as a 3TDT and speculates that may be his future in the NFL.  Says he also creates opportunities for teammates on stunts:

Finishing the play is one thing for a defensive lineman, but constantly creating opportunities for teammates can take a player to a higher level. On stunts, Basham shows a knack for setting up his teammates for success. The best part is that it doesn’t matter if he starts from the outside or inside, which makes him even more versatile and dangerous.

Because Basham is so compact compared to other edge rushers, he rarely has difficulty staying level and balanced while initiating and fighting through contact. If anything, his overall strength will knock an offensive lineman off-balance. When you combine that strength and balance with some heavy, violent hand fighting, it makes him a chore to block.

Joe B says his strength, balance and power also make him a strong factor in run D

Weaknesses:

Lacks quickness in bend

Although Basham shows plenty of explosiveness off the line of scrimmage and in his athletic testing, he’s not quite the same edge defender as Rousseau based on some limitations. Despite being tall and long-limbed, Rousseau has a much easier time bending around the edge on wide rush attempts. It helps lead to wins against slower right tackles. This is where Basham struggles and can get caught if going for a pure wide rush.

Slight tightness in change of direction

Along a similar line of thinking, you can also see some tightness in Basham’s movement skills that prevents him from exploding out of an uneven body stance to make a play......This tightness isn’t an overwhelming problem for a bigger player like Basham. Still, in open-field one-on-one chances, his probability of coming away with the tackle is worse than what we saw from Rousseau and his ability to change directions from awkward body positioning.

Joe B thinks Basham has a stronger chance to become a Year 1 contributor than Rousseau because he is older with more experience, and Joe believes he can play either side at end as well as 3TDT or a hybrid role (what the Bills likely hoped Q would contribute)

Even if the big statistical years never show up for Basham, they’ll be getting a rotational defender at two positions at worst. At best, they could be getting a versatile starting defender who gets 60-to-70 percent of snaps who thrives with setting up teammates and himself.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 10

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://theathletic.com/2651325/2021/06/22/boogie-basham-film-study-what-does-the-bills-second-round-pick-do-well-and-where-is-he-limited/

Strengths:

Joe points out a couple plays where he excelled as a 3TDT and speculates that may be his future in the NFL.  Says he also creates opportunities for teammates on stunts:

Joe B says his strength, balance and power also make him a strong factor in run D

Weaknesses:

Joe B thinks Basham has a stronger chance to become a Year 1 contributor than Rousseau because he is older with more experience, and Joe believes he can play either side at end as well as 3TDT or a hybrid role (what the Bills likely hoped Q would contribute)

Excellent Post! Basham may be John Randle like!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Cover1 transcribed some of Leslie Frazier's press conference where he talked about Basham:

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-carlos-basham-leslie-frazier/

“Carlos, he’s a little farther along [than Rousseau] because he’s played more football in college, so he’s probably a little more polished in that way,” said Fraizer. “He also has the ability to play both inside and outside, much like Greg does, but he’s a heavier guy who can probably play on early downs inside, as well on the edge on early downs, so he gives you some versatility that you don’t often see in a rookie.”

It’s well known that the Bills value positional flexibility on both sides of the line and like being able to kick their edge rushers inside in obvious passing situations. Former Bills defensive end Shaq Lawson did this often, but the team didn’t really have that player on the roster last season. Buffalo’s recent free agent acquisition Efe Obada, formerly of the Carolina Panthers, is another player with experience doing exactly this.

The Cover1 guys also turned up Basham's snap counts from Wake Forest:

image.thumb.png.bb4d50bcb7ae409181a6d1d52adefe3e.png

Looks like he was rocking 15-30% of his snaps at either DT or ?LB(!!) 

Love someone who watches college ball to tell me what was up with that last --- How was he being used?

I think Boogie will be an elite EDGE at the next level. I’m thinking that between him and Oliver this DL will set the tempo for the rest of this Bills defense this year. I think he will lineup mainly at RDE and LDT. Anyways, I’m done gabbing about it. I wanted him at 30, I caused many posters to pull their hair out because of my infatuation with him @NewEra @GunnerBill. I’m just tired of message board talk, I want the football season to start already.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Boogie will be an elite EDGE at the next level. I’m thinking that between him and Oliver this DL will set the tempo for the rest of this Bills defense this year. I think he will lineup mainly at RDE and LDT. Anyways, I’m done gabbing about it. I wanted him at 30, I caused many posters to pull their hair out because of my infatuation with him @NewEra @GunnerBill. I’m just tired of message board talk, I want the football season to start already.

I feel you on that last  :beer:

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looks like he was rocking 15-30% of his snaps at either DT or ?LB(!!) 

Love someone who watches college ball to tell me what was up with that last --- How was he being used?

Watched a fair amount of WF the past few years….. Basham was used as a stand up edge rusher in certain packages, but he’d occasionally be used to blitz through the A gaps as well. Mostly DE and DT though. His motor may blow some people away, and he can get inside on slower guards and tackles and push them around with leverage and strength. If he really pans out it’ll likely be with a similar style to Cameron Jordan…. Good balance, motor, strength, and hand fighting. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I want the football season to start already.

NEVER wish away a summer unless you live outside of WNY! 😃 

Honestly, I suspect Basham to do well more quickly… it I believe Rousseau will create the most havoc long term. Short window to look but the latter has solid roots, a strong head on his shoulders and appears to want greatness. 

The write-up about Boogie was as expected for me. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Watched a fair amount of WF the past few years….. Basham was used as a stand up edge rusher in certain packages, but he’d occasionally be used to blitz through the A gaps as well. Mostly DE and DT though. His motor may blow some people away, and he can get inside on slower guards and tackles and push them around with leverage and strength. If he really pans out it’ll likely be with a similar style to Cameron Jordan…. Good balance, motor, strength, and hand fighting. 

so if you scroll up and click on the cover1 chart I put up (clck to 'embiggen') - there were a handful of games where he was charted playing as many snaps at LB as at DT, and one where he played 23 snaps at LB per the charting.

What was going on there?

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

NEVER wish away a summer unless you live outside of WNY! 😃 

Honestly, I suspect Basham to do well more quickly… it I believe Rousseau will create the most havoc long term. Short window to look but the latter has solid roots, a strong head on his shoulders and appears to want greatness. 

The write-up about Boogie was as expected for me. 

I love the cold, I love winter. 😁

Anyways, I think Rousseau will be good, but I think Basham will be the better player both short term and long term. I’m glad the value worked out the way it did though. Boogie at 61 was a miracle. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Hahahaha…..you were the first person I thought of when I heard his named called.  I was happy to get him in rd 2.  Good value. Good dude.  Fits the McD DE size.  Good name.  I hope you’re right about him being an elite edge rusher.  I don’t think he has the makeup  of an elite DE personally, but I feel he’s going to make an impact 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

The odds, combined with a solid scouting dept, suggest that one of them is going to be a star some day.  10-11 sacks a season by year 3 or 4.  One might ever become a superstar.

So one will be a star and one might become  be a superstar ? 
Amen to that !!!

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

so if you scroll up and click on the cover1 chart I put up (clck to 'embiggen') - there were a handful of games where he was charted playing as many snaps at LB as at DT, and one where he played 23 snaps at LB per the charting.

What was going on there?

Playing from a two point stance in nickel and dime packages primarily. They’d also occasionally run a 4-3 under and line Basham up as the SLB on the LOS. Wake also rolled out an amoeba look rather frequently. In each case I can’t recall Basham dropping into coverage more than once or twice a game. He did destroy a few TEs at the LOS though. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Didnt get to read the article(just not paying lol) so thanks for sharing the excerpts, from those I like what was written but I thought we already knew most of this from watching him and college and seeing what his athletic strengths are at the combine?, but its always nice getting more info, so thanks again for posting def excited for Boogs and Rousseau to star in-"How Hughes and the Bills Defense Got Their Groove Back"(executive produced by angela bassett).

He is not athletically necessarily prototypically built like Rousseau but that is not to say he is not athletic, his combo of power and acceleration is excellent and with his build and size he has been coached right in making himself versatile playing DE and DT, he has the size and power to anchor the edge but not be a prototypical 'edge' rusher but he does have excellent pash rush skills from the inside and the work he puts into his technique there shows.  Because of his work ethic, skill, power, acceleration/burst, and versatility I was super happy with the pick, he can be a great player/piece within the right scheme and with the right players around him.  He's actually more polished from an overall technique standpoint than Rousseau right now, though they clearly have different roles/strengths.

Edited by just1hugheser

I think Boogie is the type of big end who will have a real solid 8-10 year NFL career. He is going to be able to get on the field early, be really effective at the point of attack and defend the run well. I don't see a star pass rusher, just not sure he has a skillset there that translates. Bulldozing very average ACC offensive tackles with bull rush isn't necessarily a sign of pass rushing success at the next level. Kicked inside in pass rush packages I can see him having some joy as a rusher. Personally I think he went in the right sort of area of the draft. Anywhere from mid 2nd to early 3rd was the right window for his skillset in my view even if there were those (and the Bills seemingly were one) who thought he should go sooner.