Eric Wood interviews Joe Staley (trained Bills rookie Spencer Brown among others)

true hasnt shown much isnt appropriate, i meant hasnt seen the field enough for me to say what we have, the draft profiles are just a place to start if film isnt available, Douglas seems to be like many others this regime leans toward prototypical size and athleticism but was raw and needed development.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Lots of good info in your post, Thanks for all that!

Just going to hone in one one point - for the rookies, it's entirely appropriate to hone in on their draft reports and  college film.

But for a guy who's been around the league going on 7 years, my guess is it's not too illuminating.  Douglas washed out in his second year on the Dolphins, his draft team.  That's a pretty strong argument that he wasn't ready then. 

But when a guy manages to stick around the league on the practice squads of good teams - NE won the Superbowl in 2016, Falcons were a 10-6 playoff team in 2017, Titans were a solid team in 2018, and a top rushing team in 2019 and 2020 - it's probably a good bet that he's "shown something".

I'm not even sure what one means when one says "hasn't shown much".  Hasn't won himself a starting role, certainly, but he's been fighting his way into some starting time the last couple years.  In general, playing guard in the NFL seems to me a position where "no news is good news" and people have to either love OL play or love the team to do a deep dive.

true hasnt shown much isnt appropriate, i meant hasnt seen the field enough for me to say what we have, the draft profiles are just a place to start if film isnt available, Douglas seems to be like many others this regime leans toward prototypical size and athleticism but was raw and needed development.

You make good points with the teams that did try to keep him around, however I personally have not seen enough of him.

Edited by just1hugheser