How Do You Explain The Late-Career Success for Steve Tasker on Offense?

My favorite Steve Tasker moment was in the stadium  The Meadowlands. not sure if it was the Jets or Giants m(pretty sure it was the Giants because the crownd was dead and didnt hear that Obnoxious J E T S J E T S Jets chant  but he caught a punt and  the three yard rules was not enacted/enforced, had gat absolutely walloped and didn't fumble.  I have looked for that clip but o yard returns  on a punt is hardly highlight reel material.

18 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I was listening to OBD yesterday and started thinking about Steve Tasker’s career.

How do you explain his brief career resurgence as an offensive weapon during the 1995 and 1996 seasons?

At that time Tasker was a special teams who rarely played on offense.  So little that he never had double digits receptions.  He also was about 33 years old at that time and his best years physically were behind him.

Yet he became a solid contributor on that Bills as a kick returner, receiver and even an effective rusher on reverses.  While he was never a star, you can argue that he was the difference maker in a playoff win versus Miami.  

I know there is a story of Jim Kelly lobbying to use Tasker on offense, only to get shot down by Marv and Bruce DeHaven.  I was never sure if that was entirely true or just

and exaggeration.  

Either way, why do you think Tasker was had these blips after hardly ever playing offense in his previous 12 years in the NFL?

Jim Kelly for years before said that Tasker was a heck of a receiver.  He was just underutilized in the offense.

20 hours ago, ajmac said:

Easy here guys.

#1 Steve Tasker was a pretty athletic dude and a decent receiver to boot

#2 Nickel corners in those days weren’t any good. 

Tasker would be an Edelman-type receiver today.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Tasker would be an Edelman-type receiver today.

That’s kind of what I was thinking.  He definitely would have been a good slot receiver.  It’s just a shame that they couldn’t utilize him in the offense because by 1995, he was on his way out of the NFL

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

My favorite Steve Tasker moment was in the stadium  The Meadowlands. not sure if it was the Jets or Giants m(pretty sure it was the Giants because the crownd was dead and didnt hear that Obnoxious J E T S J E T S Jets chant  but he caught a punt and  the three yard rules was not enacted/enforced, had gat absolutely walloped and didn't fumble.  I have looked for that clip but o yard returns  on a punt is hardly highlight reel material.

Nothing beats the time she made cover of Sports Illustrated.  That was freaking awesome

21 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Jim Kelly had been lobbying for Tasker to play WR more for a long time.  He ran great routes and had sure hands.  Kelly said, numerous times, no one in practice could cover him. 

I think back to SB XXV, Don Beebe was out and Al Edwards played in his place.   Edwards was mediocre and was a huge drop off.  I wish Tasker would have got more reps even back then, but it took several years for that to happen.  

Mistakes were made 

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

That’s kind of what I was thinking.  He definitely would have been a good slot receiver.  It’s just a shame that they couldn’t utilize him in the offense because by 1995, he was on his way out of the NFL

Nothing beats the time she made cover of Sports Illustrated.  That was freaking awesome

Who are you talking about, "she" making the cover of Sports Illustrated?

On 6/21/2021 at 10:53 PM, JohnNord said:

I was listening to OBD yesterday and started thinking about Steve Tasker’s career.

How do you explain his brief career resurgence as an offensive weapon during the 1995 and 1996 seasons?

At that time Tasker was a special teams who rarely played on offense.  So little that he never had double digits receptions.  He also was about 33 years old at that time and his best years physically were behind him.

Yet he became a solid contributor on that Bills as a kick returner, receiver and even an effective rusher on reverses.  While he was never a star, you can argue that he was the difference maker in a playoff win versus Miami.  

I know there is a story of Jim Kelly lobbying to use Tasker on offense, only to get shot down by Marv and Bruce DeHaven.  I was never sure if that was entirely true or just

and exaggeration.  

Either way, why do you think Tasker was had these blips after hardly ever playing offense in his previous 12 years in the NFL?

Inability of the defense to stop the run. What the Giants did in the first Superbowl, that was the playbook against the Bills. That divisional against Pittsburgh, and that wildcard against the Jaguars. The defense was ahead of it's time, all sacks, when the power tailback was just emerging.

and exaggeration.  

Isn't really much of an explanation.  Kelly said he was uncoverable in practice but they valued him on special teams so much they didn't want to risk him getting hurt playing WR when they had so many others that were capable. So basically the short answer is he got an opportunity to play WR and did the same thing he had done in practice the whole time he was there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:13 AM, Chandler#81 said:

I could understand DaHaven not liking Steve play regularly on O. It’s still possible-and personally think likely- Steve eventually becomes inshrined in Canton as a Special Teamer. Yes, we had ‘official’ WRs during his time that we’re ahead of him, but Steve seemed to always shine when called upon -even back in ‘90. 

I agree he gets enshrined in Hall of Fame eventually as veteran candidate.

And many forget that he made appearances on offense in early 90s before Reed was hurt/let go.

I am sure Bruce DaHaven has had an interview about it but could not find one but I found this excellent one with Steve on DaHaven's impact on special teams. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/07/steve-tasker-bruce-dehaven-buffalo-bills-special-teams

I got to the Bills in 1986, the same week Marv Levy was hired as head coach. I was picked up on waivers from Houston, and Marv was hired in-season to replace Hank Bullough. The next off-season Marv got to pick his coaching staff, and there was no question that his special-teams coach was a crucial hire. Marv was a huge believer that the kicking game could win games, and hardly any other team in the league believed that. 

Right away you could see the importance we placed on the kicking game. Bruce DeHaven was Marv’s hand-picked assistant to coach our kicking teams, and it was amazing how much Marv valued special teams. Marv sat in our special-teams meetings every day. Every day. 

Ill never forget that crazy weather game vs the Cardinals, when he caught his 1st TD. Team benches literally blew onto the field as a savage, early Winter storm blew through WNY.

Yes crazy weather games usually occur in November and December due to lake snow. 

• Like (+1) 1

Marc brought him in because certain coaches just see something in players and believe they will be able to add something to the team either in 1 or multiple positions & because of Taskers speed i think they may have seen him catch in practice or Marv may have known in college that he had some experience there so they said they said they would give him a try . 

For some of you old timers that follow the CFL...Garney Henley was an all star DB for most of his career and occasionally would play WR (more so in his early days). In 1972 he transitioned to WR full time at the age of 34  and was named the league's MVP after catching 36 passes for 881 yds. 7 TD's and a 24.5 ypc. average. His team also won the Grey Cup that year. From 1972 to 1975 (ages 34 to 37) he caught 138 passes for 2592 yds.  He had 60 int's plus he returned kicks and punts and rushed for 552 yds. on 102 carries over the course of his career. 

On 6/22/2021 at 10:37 AM, Homey D. Clown said:

I think Tasker could have been a Wes Welker type of player well before Wes Welker re-defined that type of role.  I don't think there was any reason to develop that type of weapon, given the team had HOF caliber players at the skill positions already.  A completely missed opportunity in my mind, but hindsight is always 20/20, and before Welker, who knew a small scrappy receiver could be so effective.

I think Welker honestly was a bit ahead of his time. By the end of his career he sadly had a bit of a 1000 yard stare going on sadly. I think the changes in the rules really helped Edelman just a few years later avoid the concussions.

Was for the best tasker mostly played st.

and exaggeration.  

1995 Andre Reed just played 6 games due to Injury

1996 We did not have much of what I would call a solid #3 Moulds was a rookie that year and Reed had his 4th best year in total yards

1996 Was Jim Kelly's last year as a Bill and the O'line was struggling so to compensate they used Andre deeper and had to dump it off more.

To my knowledge and maybe I am wrong, small slot receivers were not much of a thing then

• Like (+1) 1