Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

23 hours ago, Simon said:

Sorry, but a bunch of people buying jerseys in the midst of a media frenzy doesn't change my perception that there is something biologically that generally makes heterosexual men more physically aggressive than gay men. By extension, I think this would suggest that there is likely a somewhat lower percentage of gay men hitting people for a living than there is gay men among the general population.

I have not experienced this myself but I have a few friends that are cops.  He said the most aggressive fights are gay male couples.  

2 hours ago, Augie said:

We had a math tutor for the kids growing up. She was a very good tutor and could even write and do math upside down across the table. That was not the only unique thing about her. She weighed north of 350 LBS if she weighed an ounce. Oh, and her head was shaved completely bald. 

She also spent her weekends at a local naturist club. When I learned this, all my curiosity about those places evaporated.   

That would be as “missing the point” as deciding you wanna hang there ‘cuz a total babe at work spends her weekends there, but You do You

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would be as “missing the point” as deciding you wanna hang there ‘cuz a total babe at work spends her weekends there, but You do You

No, not about the camp. She scared me a little bit just as a tutor. She was super nice and I get what your’e saying, but she is the only person I’ve ever known who bragged about being a regular. I don’t need super models cause I’m not crazy about looking in the mirror, but she was unsettling. I wouldn’t want to be among a tailgate like that! 

She was a 370# lady with her head shaved BALD. I was in no rush to see who her peeps were. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Chicharito said:

Some real homophobic replies her. Who gives a S@&t who someone sleeps at night with. Does it affect you in anyway ? No it absolutely does not! 

Well, back when my ex wife was still my wife, it did. 

But I think that wasn't your point. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

No, not about the camp. She scared me a little bit just as a tutor. She was super nice and I get what your’e saying, but she is the only person I’ve ever known who bragged about being a regular. I don’t need super models cause I’m not crazy about looking in the mirror, but she was unsettling. I wouldn’t want to be among a tailgate like that! 

She was a 370# lady with her head shaved BALD. I was in no rush to see who her peeps were. 

Ah, I see your point!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T&C said:

Then why is it somehow construed as football news? 

'cuz he's an NFL football player doing something no other player on a roster during the season has done?

Was this a trick question?

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are mustaches attractive?

On men, on women, or yes?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, T&C said:

Then why is it somehow construed as football news? 

I’m sorry, do you have some on-field NFL news to share in the middle of June that this thread is crowding out? Swear to god you’re insufferable. Anything you don’t want to hear about (or even think about, apparently) is just “off limits.” Your ostrich syndrome needs to end, or you need to go.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

The vast majority make people look like they're not allowed within 500 yards of a school.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Maybe the best line ever right here.

Can I give this one 10 laughs and 10 "awesomes" somehow?  It's funny because it's true!

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What do you think of Sam Elliot? 

Now Sam Elliot's 'stash is damn sexy.  That's a damn sexy dude right there you have to admit.  You don't need to be into guys at all to admit that. 

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

12 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I am kind of old fashioned in many ways, I made a joke earlier that came off kind of wrong and I apologize for that.. but one thing that does bug me on a profound level to no end is the suicide rate amongst the LGBT community. I find that to be an absolute travesty. I can’t tell you how much that pulls at my heartstrings. I just hope the LGBTQ community realizes that if you get knocked down, you’re not a failure so long as you remember to get back up again. Things may seem impossible now, but if you give it another day or another week, things may change. Always get back up again.

The highest suicide rate sadly belongs to police officers. Years ago it was dentists.

I am not posing as an expert, but I suspect that people who feel, or in fact are hated are more prone to suicide than others. At one point NYPD cops were killing themselves at an alarming rate. A union trustee started an organization to help cops so that they could seek help without being labled by the job and having their careers ruined. Along with others, I contributed money. Eventually, the job was dragged into supporting it and now they get hundreds (if not thousands) of calls per year from cops seeking help, and highly trained peer counsellors are there to offer the needed assistance.

I was unaware of high suicide numbers for gays. I hope that they too have support groups and suspect that they do. I pray that those in need take advantage of the great help that is out there.

One last thing about suicides.....almost all of the many that I was personally aware of involved relationships. One police officer screwed up an accident report, and a lieutenant told him he was getting a minor counselling. He went upstairs to the locker room and blew his brains out. This was an exception but even at that something else was certainly involved. 

Divorce was the major cause from what I saw, and with gay marriages being legal now I hope that this doesn't develop into a problem. 

Sorry to ramble. I knew many people who committed suicide and this is a painful subject to me. 

PLEASE seek help if anyone is ever chronically depressed. It gets better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Divorce was the major cause from what I saw, and with gay marriages being legal now I hope that this doesn't develop into a problem. 

There are actually some interesting studies that suggest that suicide rates among LGBT communities reduce in countries / territories where same sex marriage is legalised. Fell by nearly half in Scandinavia and there was a study a few years ago in states in the US that went early with legalisation too.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are actually some interesting studies that suggest that suicide rates among LGBT communities reduce in countries / territories where same sex marriage is legalised. Fell by nearly half in Scandinavia and there was a study a few years ago in states in the US that went early with legalisation too.  

I am very glad to hear this. Hopefully this holds up ater they have been married for a while and the number of divorces increases.

Edited by Bill from NYC

37 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The highest suicide rate sadly belongs to police officers. Years ago it was dentists.

I am not posing as an expert, but I suspect that people who feel, or in fact are hated are more prone to suicide than others. At one point NYPD cops were killing themselves at an alarming rate. A union trustee started an organization to help cops so that they could seek help without being labled by the job and having their careers ruined. Along with others, I contributed money. Eventually, the job was dragged into supporting it and now they get hundreds (if not thousands) of calls per year from cops seeking help, and highly trained peer counsellors are there to offer the needed assistance.

I was unaware of high suicide numbers for gays. I hope that they too have support groups and suspect that they do. I pray that those in need take advantage of the great help that is out there.

One last thing about suicides.....almost all of the many that I was personally aware of involved relationships. One police officer screwed up an accident report, and a lieutenant told him he was getting a minor counselling. He went upstairs to the locker room and blew his brains out. This was an exception but even at that something else was certainly involved. 

Sorry to ramble. I knew many people who committed suicide and this is a painful subject to me. 

PLEASE seek help if anyone is ever chronically depressed. It gets better.

Everything you said is fine.  Let’s take a peek at some things though.

Police officers saw a suicide rate of around 17 per 100,000

All youth suicide rate is running 18 per 100,000

LGBT+ youth is running between 4-5 times higher than their peers or ~60 - 100 per 100,000.

LGBT+ suicide rates go up with harassment at school, being in a rejecting home, and being in a rejecting state.  Each episode of harassment raises the suicide rate for that individual by 2-3% and makes them more likely to be bullied and harassed again.

Gay marriage and other legalization efforts have actually cut the rate of suicide in LGBT+ youths significantly and in studies prior to and after legalization the numbers drop significantly as states adopted gay marriage.  Globally in countries that accept LGBT+ people and offer protection and legal marriage - the suicide rate is as much as 20% lower and brings LGBT+ youths in line with the all youths suicide rate in those countries.

For most kids - suicide seems to be caused by “not fitting in” - being bullied, being different and not being accepted and that is especially true of LGBT+ kids.  You are absolutely correct - it does get better, but for these kids even having 1 or 2 role models in non-traditional places can open their eyes and can allow them to maybe seek that help that they need.  The Trevor Project does that for LGBT+ youths - much as the police have a suicide program that you discussed.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Everything you said is fine.  Let’s take a peek at some things though.

Police officers saw a suicide rate of around 17 per 100,000

All youth suicide rate is running 18 per 100,000

LGBT+ youth is running between 4-5 times higher than their peers or ~60 - 100 per 100,000.

LGBT+ suicide rates go up with harassment at school, being in a rejecting home, and being in a rejecting state.  Each episode of harassment raises the suicide rate for that individual by 2-3% and makes them more likely to be bullied and harassed again.

Gay marriage and other legalization efforts have actually cut the rate of suicide in LGBT+ youths significantly and in studies prior to and after legalization the numbers drop significantly as states adopted gay marriage.  Globally in countries that accept LGBT+ people and offer protection and legal marriage - the suicide rate is as much as 20% lower and brings LGBT+ youths in line with the all youths suicide rate in those countries.

For most kids - suicide seems to be caused by “not fitting in” - being bullied, being different and not being accepted and that is especially true of LGBT+ kids.  You are absolutely correct - it does get better, but for these kids even having 1 or 2 role models in non-traditional places can open their eyes and can allow them to maybe seek that help that they need.  The Trevor Project does that for LGBT+ youths - much as the police have a suicide program that you discussed.

Your post is filled with great info. 

Wrt police suicides, the number of them in big city departments is surely higher than in small towns. Being a cop in some surroundings is probably a great life, despite today's climate.

There were severalyears in which the NYPD had 10 or more suicides, this in a dept, with approx. 35,000 police officers (since they were combined with the Transit and Housing Police).  These horrible stats do not count retirees. :(  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

• SDS locked this topic