Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

I'm glad he came out. It's something that needed to happen just to get it over with. that said, this barely even registers with me at this point, and that's a good thing, right? 

It's probably a bigger deal to people who actually play football. especially closeted gays who actually play football. But I don't think society really cares. 

obviously there are always gonna be haters out there. let's not try to pretend they are a representation of society as a whole. 

The next step is to get a mega star to come out as gay, and then we can be done with this and never have to do the coming out thing again. 

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

Just because it differs from yours doesn't make it wrong. It's just a perception.

Objectively, I doubt there's been any conclusive research done that would make either of us know whether we're right or wrong.

good post. 

7 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

If I'm colorblind and can't perceive blue, my perception is wrong.

Or maybe it's others who are colorblind and you're just fine ? - )

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Lol, I'm not crazy, you're crazy!

Except you can measure the wavelengths of light coming off an object and see that all other wavelengths get absorbed by the object, except the wavelength corresponding to the color people see.

You really honestly think there hasn't been a ton of research on this stuff, come on now. 

11 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Huh?  Again, not in the same realm of impact.  "comparative cultural and societal comparison" Enough with the word salad.  I don't think you even know what you're saying.  

I know full well what I’m saying and it’s far away from what you seem to think it is. I’ll boil it down to the simplest form:

The comparison lies in the similarity in breaking thru a cultural barrier. Simple as that. 

You seem to think I’m equating the struggles of all of black America in their entirety with the struggles of the gay community in their entirety and nothing could be farther from the truth. Robinson shattered a barrier in sports. Nassib also shattered a barrier in sports. That’s all I’m saying. Acknowledging that similarity in no way lessens Robinson or elevates Nassib. 

There is no equating the struggles of black America with the struggles of gay America on a par basis. Like I said, it’s an absurd notion. 

If that is all word salad for you, it must be a huge challenge for you to comprehend truly complex concepts. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I know full well what I’m saying and it’s far away from what you seem to think it is. I’ll boil it down to the simplest form:

The comparison lies in the similarity in breaking thru a cultural barrier. Simple as that. 

You seem to think I’m equating the struggles of all of black America in their entirety with the struggles of the gay community in their entirety and nothing could be farther from the truth. Robinson shattered a barrier in sports. Nassib also shattered a barrier in sports. That’s all I’m saying. Acknowledging that similarity in no way lessens Robinson or elevates Nassib. 

There is no equating the struggles of black America with the struggles of gay America on a par basis. Like I said, it’s an absurd notion. 

If that is all word salad for you, it must be a huge challenge for you to comprehend truly complex concepts. 

If there was some kind of physical characteristic of being gay, I'm not entirely sure things would be all that different.

How about we set this imperfect line...if the nazis did crazy unethical scientific research on a demographic group you are a part of, you don't need to justify gains in societal acceptance...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Returntoglory said:

Serious question.

Seeing that he is attracted to Men, how will his teammates take to showering with him and being around him is in the locker room?

Is this a legit concern? 

I would guess some won't like it and some won't care.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Serious question.

Seeing that he is attracted to Men, how will his teammates take to showering with him and being around him is in the locker room?

Is this a legit concern? 

Why, you think his teammates will start getting turned on thinking about how someone might potentially find them attractive? That would be super awkward! 

Do you shower in the gym with people you don't know? If you suddenly did know someone was gay, would you run out of there covering your junk? June must be a real tough time because of all the people wearing flags in solidarity of pride month...july can't get here fast enough, eh?

All serious questions.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Simon said:

I was almost 50 when I had a career aptitude test trying to figure out what I wanted to be that would make me happy when I grow up. One thing we learned is that I am color blind in some ranges. I retroactively lost every argument ever that involved color! Window treatments, clothes, chair fabrics, all those arguments  resurfaced and I had no defense. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

If there was some kind of physical characteristic of being gay, I'm not entirely sure things would be all that different.

How about we set this imperfect line...if the nazis did crazy unethical scientific research on a demographic group you are a part of, you don't need to justify gains in societal acceptance...

That’s a very interesting point and I’d have to agree. There is something to be said for a shared experience of being discriminated against, regardless of the nature of that discrimination. I’ll leave it to others to argue about another’s validity in that regard, but I think it’s a ridiculous concept to compare scars in that fashion. 

But the struggle of black America is rooted in something deeper than just skin color (physical characteristics).

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Please list the NFL games that Michael Sam played in...

The fact that you guys don't think Michael Sam counts proves the hypocrisy. First player drafted first player to play... they both got nfl checks didn't they? That counts on the payroll? That means he wasin the league? Who gives a flying rats arse is you're gay? Seriously, this country at this time. Good for you. Is it important? No. Should people care? No. Live your best life.... 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, K-9 said:

That’s a very interesting point and I’d have to agree. There is something to be said for a shared experience of being discriminated against, regardless of the nature of that discrimination. I’ll leave it to others to argue about another’s validity in that regard, but I think it’s a ridiculous concept to compare scars in that fashion. 

But the struggle of black America is rooted in something deeper than just skin color. 

Right, playing the who's more oppressed game is awful, but I'd argue the need to justify your feelings of being oppressed when the nazis literally did human centipede type experiments on people in your demo group is worse. 

Agree, and I think the oppression of gay people is rooted more deeply as well...same thing probably. There is also a scape goat element to it too though, and with something like being gay, where it's not a physical thing, people could accuse you of it and find some birth mark arbitrarily and you're toast. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Why, you think his teammates will start getting turned on thinking about how someone might potentially find them attractive? That would be super awkward! 

Do you shower in the gym with people you don't know? If you suddenly did know someone was gay, would you run out of there covering your junk? June must be a real tough time because of all the people wearing flags in solidarity of pride month...july can't get here fast enough, eh?

All serious questions.

WTF are you talking about? My question is clear and obviously you're making jest. 

Would it not be like showering with the opposite sex? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Sorry, but a bunch of people buying jerseys in the midst of a media frenzy doesn't change my perception that there is something biologically that generally makes heterosexual men more physically aggressive than gay men. By extension, I think this would suggest that there is likely a somewhat lower percentage of gay men hitting people for a living than there is gay men among the general population.

You are aware that the percentage of gay men serving in the military tracks very closely with the general population? Anecdotal evidence and generalizations aside, why should the NFL or professional sports in general be any different?

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Lol, I'm not crazy, you're crazy!

Except you can measure the wavelengths of light coming off an object and see that all other wavelengths get absorbed by the object, except the wavelength corresponding to the color people see.

You really honestly think there hasn't been a ton of research on this stuff, come on now. 

I'm sure there's some folks who have used imaging tools on brain responses to visual stimuli among people of varying sexual orientations, but considering how marginalized that community has been across most global cultures, I'd wonder how much funding is readily available for that kind of research. Although I'd think that we're currently moving through the kind of cultural advance that might make it more accessible. 

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

WTF are you talking about? My question is clear and obviously you're making jest. 

Would it not be like showering with the opposite sex? 

Oh, I was very much not joking, I just am not going to be super direct, but I'll turn it up just a little.

You're assuming the women would become aroused though. They very much likely would not (there are coed showers all throughout europe...they don't devolve into orgies, because it's just nudity. You're assuming the gay man would get aroused as well, they very much likely would not (unless I missed the part where you just have a huddle of guys in art museums staring at nude sculptures unable to move without a binder in front of them like 7th grade.

Anyway, look up projection in terms of defense mechanisms.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Sorry, but a bunch of people buying jerseys in the midst of a media frenzy doesn't change my perception that there is something biologically that generally makes heterosexual men more physically aggressive than gay men. By extension, I think this would suggest that there is likely a somewhat lower percentage of gay men hitting people for a living than there is gay men among the general population.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Just because it differs from yours doesn't make it wrong. It's just a perception.

Objectively, I doubt there's been any conclusive research done that would make either of us know whether we're right or wrong.

With all due respect, my man, this is the dumbest ***** I've ever seen you post.

There are TONS of masculine homosexual men in the world. Rednecks, Cops, Military, Athletes, Hunters, Tradesmen, Farmers, etc, etc, etc.

Again, check out Rugby. Surprisingly large amount (almost majority) of gay players.

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You are aware that the percentage of gay men serving in the military tracks very closely with the general population? Anecdotal evidence and generalizations aside, why should the NFL or professional sports in general be any different?

I'm not aware of that and it would surprise me.

Although here's a study from an institution that is well-regarded as fairly reliable and authoritative that does not support that claim.

Gay Men and Lesbians in the U.S. Military

A summary snippet:

• Using the mid-point estimate that 3 percent of women and 4 percent of men are gay or lesbian among adults in the general population, the findings shown in table 2 suggest that 1.8 percent of active duty personnel are gay or lesbian, meaning that nearly 26,000 gay men and lesbians are serving on active duty. The proportion of lesbians among active duty female personnel is approximately four times higher than the proportion of gay men among male personnel, regardless of the assumptions about prevalence in the population. The mid-range estimate of the proportion of lesbians among women serving on active duty is 5.2 percent while the comparable figure for gay men is 1.2 percent. These estimates imply that more than 11,000 lesbians and 14,500 gay men are currently serving in active duty.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

With all due respect, my man, this is the dumbest ***** I've ever seen you post.

There are TONS of masculine homosexual men in the world. Rednecks, Cops, Military, Athletes, Hunters, Tradesmen, Farmers, etc, etc, etc.

Again, check out Rugby. Surprisingly large amount (almost majority) of gay players.

Of course there's many homosexual men that enjoy banging heads. 

But I don't think it's wild speculation to suggest that gay men trend toward less physically aggressive tendencies.

If I were to suggest that most men tend to be taller than most women, the fact that many tall women exist doesn't invalidate the observation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1