Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Not at all. They both broke social and cultural barriers. And like Robinson, I suspect Nassib is going to have to tolerate a certain level of verbal abuse by players and fans. Also like Robinson, I can see his teammates and other fans coming to his defense when that happens.

If you think there's any comparison of being black in the 40's and being gay in 2021, you need to get out of whatever bum***** town you're living in.

Edited by soflabillsfan1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I don't really care about anyone's orientation, religious beliefs, or political stance when it comes to football.  Nothing about his sexual orientation makes me feel uncomfortable, but I do enjoy the thinly veiled attempt at calling me homophobic, again nice try LOL.

What I do care about is those three things being dramatized for the simple theatre of it.  Hey's gay, yipee.  I do care about the well being of players, up to and including health struggles, as I would like to include them in my thoughts and prayers, however I don't feel Carl needs prayer from me any more that a straight person does for being straight.  I have that ability to separate things that way, you on the other hand, don't seem to have that skillset.  You don't like my opinion?  ohh no!  what ever will I do with myself!

I dignified your legitimate questions in this post with a response, so now you know.

The simple theater of it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Nope, not at all.  Like I said, good on him for what makes him happy in life.  I have no issue with that whatsoever.  My brother is gay and gets a kick out of all the virtue signaling that make people feel good about themselves (like you getting in a tissy about ensuring TBD knows Michael Sam was NOT the first openly gay player on an active roster)! 

Sure thing, guy. I'm am 100% sure that is how it is and now some strange crutch you need to get through the day. 

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

If you think there's any comparison of being black in the 40's and being gay in 2021, you need to get out of whatever bum***** town you're living in.

Way to miss the post entirely. It’s not about comparing blacks and gays, which is an idiotic concept. It’s about the comparative cultural and societal comparisons. If you can’t see that, what can I say. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We had a guy on my HS football team that came out.  None of us were surprised because during a beach trip, when everyone was making sand castles, he made a giant penis.  This was in the 90's and none of us really cared.  I'm sure the Raiders lockerroom will be cool with it and having no issues.

I think I would have made sand castles with big large boobs.

Preferably British milfs

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31688171/las-vegas-raiders-de-carl-nassib-top-selling-nfl-jersey-fanatics-day-announcement

Las Vegas Raiders DE Carl Nassib has top-selling NFL jersey at Fanatics in day since announcement

In the 24 hours since Carl Nassib became the first active NFL player to come out as gay, the Las Vegas Raiders defensive end's jersey has been the top-selling item across the league, according to Fanatics.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this might be relevant to the discussion:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/kordell-stewart-nfl-football-pittsburgh-steelers

1) 20 years ago is not so long ago in terms of generational change of attitudes

2) In this instance, the irony is that a hetero man was being asked to defend himself against rumors that he was gay, and it caused issues for him

The point is, it's not so long ago that if a gay man was "living his life and doing what he does" and people found out, there's always the chance he was gonna be dealing with some version of this, or worse

If Carl Nassib just started raising money for the Trevor Foundation, instead of "coming out" to his teammates and coaches and now the NFL and everybody, the chances are he could be dealing with some crap as well.

It was only about 25 years ago that a gay friend of ours in Florida came out and his father told him “I’d rather have a dead son than a gay son.”  WOW! 

You can’t say “just live your life and if they find out, who cares?” It would be nice if it worked that way, but there will often be some kind of repercussions that can be unpleasant, at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

why did he even have to "come out" anyway, his personal life is his business, seems more like unnecessary theater to me.  you're gay, whoop-de-frickin-dooo, so are millions of other Americans.

Because there are plenty of gay people who are afraid to come out, or who have or are contemplating suicide. Having a "public" figure in a sport that hasn't really had many people come out may grant one person the ability to come out or to reevaluate suicide. 

Letting people know it's "ok", whatever that may mean to each person, can be very helpful. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

It was only about 25 years ago that a gay friend of ours in Florida came out and his father told him “I’d rather have a dead son than a gay son.”  WOW! 

You can’t say “just live your life and if they find out, who cares?” It would be nice if it worked that way, but there will often be some kind of repercussions that can be unpleasant, at least. 

actually reminds me of a high school friend who’s brothers beat the ***** out of him when he came out at the dinner table. 

had another really good friend who couldn’t come out for risk of losing his grandfathers inheritance cause his aunt was executor and also an anti gay activist. But today he’s a self made millionaire and one of the biggest gay activists in nyc.  

45 minutes ago, StHustle said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31688171/las-vegas-raiders-de-carl-nassib-top-selling-nfl-jersey-fanatics-day-announcement

Las Vegas Raiders DE Carl Nassib has top-selling NFL jersey at Fanatics in day since announcement

In the 24 hours since Carl Nassib became the first active NFL player to come out as gay, the Las Vegas Raiders defensive end's jersey has been the top-selling item across the league, according to Fanatics.

@Simon

35 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

actually reminds me of a high school friend who’s brothers beat the ***** out of him when he came out at the dinner table. 

had another really good friend who couldn’t come out for risk of losing his grandfathers inheritance cause his aunt was executor and also an anti gay activist. But today he’s a self made millionaire and one of the biggest gay activists in nyc.  

And even when you know your family are not going to beat you up or disown you - and I was lucky enough to know that - it doesn't make it easy. I didn't tell my family I am bisexual until my 30s and that was entirely about my perception of me rather than their perception about me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Nope, not at all.  Like I said, good on him for what makes him happy in life.  I have no issue with that whatsoever.  My brother is gay and gets a kick out of all the virtue signaling that make people feel good about themselves (like you getting in a tissy about ensuring TBD knows Michael Sam was NOT the first openly gay player on an active roster)! 

I would argue the primary virtue signaling I've seen in this thread is in the "why is this news?" contingent.

How would you feel if someone told your brother to get out of a communal shower because they knew he was gay? How would he feel?

Also, my guess is your brother is laughing about people who suddenly feel like they made some major personal achievement because they retweeted this news. Otherwise it sounds like he is minimizing the challenges gay people face, which I'm assuming is not the case.

The Trevor Project or Dan Savage's It Gets Better Project aren't a thing if there wasn't a need for it.

It does sound like your brother had a really supportive situation though based on the tiniest amounts of subtext, but careful applying that to everyone.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Sorry, but a bunch of people buying jerseys in the midst of a media frenzy doesn't change my perception that there is something biologically that generally makes heterosexual men more physically aggressive than gay men. By extension, I think this would suggest that there is likely a somewhat lower percentage of gay men hitting people for a living than there is gay men among the general population.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Well, that is BOTH horribly sad AND awesome at the same time.  🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Way to miss the post entirely. It’s not about comparing blacks and gays, which is an idiotic concept. It’s about the comparative cultural and societal comparisons. If you can’t see that, what can I say. 

Huh?  Again, not in the same realm of impact.  "comparative cultural and societal comparison" Enough with the word salad.  I don't think you even know what you're saying.  

Edited by soflabillsfan1
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

Sorry, but a bunch of people buying jerseys in the midst of a media frenzy doesn't change my perception that there is something biologically that generally makes heterosexual men more physically aggressive than gay men.

Your perception is wrong.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Your perception is wrong.

Just because it differs from yours doesn't make it wrong. It's just a perception.

Objectively, I doubt there's been any conclusive research done that would make either of us know whether we're right or wrong.

Just now, Simon said:

Just because it differs from yours doesn't make it wrong. It's just a perception.

Objectively, I doubt there's been any conclusive research done that would make either of us know whether we're right or wrong.

If I'm colorblind and can't perceive blue, my perception is wrong.