Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

15 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I'm happy he's comfortable enough with himself to come out. I'm not sure what it has to do with football.

Nothing against him, I just think it's crazy people want people to stay out of their business and let them "live their life" yet put their business on public forum.

Glad he's happy with himself though. 

I think it's a safe assumption that there is more than one gay player in the NFL today. 

8 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

why did he even have to "come out" anyway, his personal life is his business, seems more like unnecessary theater to me.  you're gay, whoop-de-frickin-dooo, so are millions of other Americans.

Why do you think he might have been hesitant to come out?

• Like (+1) 1

It is wild to me that in 2021 we have 1  active openly gay NFL player and 1 active openly gay NFL coach (Katie Sowers). What an antiquated league/sport/community. 

I keep reading, "why is it news" or "why is he talking about it". 

It isn't news, it is just honesty. The big news is that for the first time a gay man is being honest with the NFL. 

For years there have been thousands of men who have gone in and out of NFL locker rooms and never shared that their SO was another man. Never brought a date to a team dinner. Every story that I, you, we tell at work about our wife, girlfriend, date, one night stand, somebody we find attractive on social media etc. is an experience that no gay man has ever honestly talked about in an NFL locker room from September to January until now. The weight of that, even as a straight male feels very heavy.

For how far we like to think we have come, this is a good reminder that we have a VERY long way to go. 

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

why did he even have to "come out" anyway, his personal life is his business, seems more like unnecessary theater to me.  you're gay, whoop-de-frickin-dooo, so are millions of other Americans.

Because it’s not supported in the NFL and it needs to be. Nassib is FAR from the only gay player in the NFL and they shouldn’t need to hide out of fear of being black balled. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

That's incredibly disrespectful to Jackie Robinson.

Not at all. They both broke social and cultural barriers. And like Robinson, I suspect Nassib is going to have to tolerate a certain level of verbal abuse by players and fans. Also like Robinson, I can see his teammates and other fans coming to his defense when that happens.

15 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

say what you want. A person is allowed and encouraged to be themselves by all means. However, In a shower room of 52 other players, that may not be accepted. Plain facts. I know girls in my school wouldn't want me showering with them. Knowing I like *****. Where do you draw the line?? What ever happened to don't kiss n tell?? jmo. Am I allowwd to say "flame away" on this?😏

Has showering always been a sexual activity for you? Really? Get your mind out of the gutter. 

33 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I'm sorry, I missed your outrage on Sunday when millions of people posted "happy Fathers' Day" messages on social media.  I also missed it when the Bills community has wished Jim Kelly, Pinto Ron and Pancho Billa well wishes for their health.  That was all their personal life and their business - unnecessary theater.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

say what you want. A person is allowed and encouraged to be themselves by all means. However, In a shower room of 52 other players, that may not be accepted. Plain facts. I know girls in my school wouldn't want me showering with them. Knowing I like *****. Where do you draw the line?? What ever happened to don't kiss n tell?? jmo. Am I allowwd to say "flame away" on this?😏

Why are you sexualizing a person cleaning their body? Do you get turned on when a woman takes her breast out to breast feed in public? Not every scenario involving a naked body is sexual.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 3

Good for him.  I'm sure it isn't easy being gay in the Alpha male world of football.  

Those who don't think this isn't newsworthy live in their own bubble I guess.

I have gay family and gay friends and just like the hue of your skin, I don't judge you on meaningless things.  It's who you are as a person I care about. 

It is a big deal at the moment. 

I look forward to when it truly it doesn't matter....just like the hue of your skin.  

Until then,  Cheers Carl!  

Edited by The Tomcat
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

1 hour ago, Big Gun said:

Why do people need to come out? They need to just live their lives and do what they do and if people find out then people find out, who cares.

Why do they need to come out - who cares!

Read a little bit about players that have come out after their playing career - how hard it was hiding who they were because they felt different and alone.

Look up Ryan O’Callaghan and his story.  He knew he was gay, but couldn’t share it with anyone - he was a football player - manly.  His plan was to finish playing and then to kill himself rather than admit who he was.  It took one coach taking an interest and talking to him - getting him to open up and basically tell him - he is fine and ok.  

Once voice changed his life and moved him from a path of darkness and suicide to finishing his career and becoming more vocal.

Maybe guys like Sam, Nassib, O’Callaghan, Tuaolo, etc. become that voice for others that are struggling in the NFL or college with these thoughts.  They also give voice and strength to help others outside of football get talking points to have open dialogue with others - just like we are having here.

One day it will be accepted and will not need to be discussed, but it can’t get there until can engage in the dialogue without fear and we are not there yet.  

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

I'm sorry, I missed your outrage on Sunday when millions of people posted "happy Fathers' Day" messages on social media.  I also missed it when the Bills community has wished Jim Kelly, Pinto Ron and Pancho Billa well wishes for their health.  That was all their personal life and their business - unnecessary theater.

Ahh yes, both very relatable to sexual orientation  LOL.  Nice try.

59 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Because it’s not supported in the NFL and it needs to be. Nassib is FAR from the only gay player in the NFL and they shouldn’t need to hide out of fear of being black balled. 

I respect your reply, but if we are going to treat each other with the same level of respect and acceptance as those who are not gay, I feel these types of things really don't help unite.  I don't have the answer to what will, and I do hope we get there someday, but, in my opinion, this really does less help to the community.

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 3

Sure is a lotta people in this thread who “couldn’t give a ____” about this news yet  decided to take the time to let everyone know how little they care instead of just moving along with their day. 🤔🤔🤔

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I respect your reply, but if we are going to treat each other with the same level of respect and acceptance as those who are not gay, I feel these types of things really don't help unite.  I don't have the answer to what will, and I do hope we get there someday, but, in my opinion, this really does less help to the community.

How does a gay man keeping his personal life a secret help the community or unite anything?  Why do you feel "these types of things" are counter productive?

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Right, and I get and respect what your saying, but if the community is negatively affected by someone coming out then that shows why we need to support those who do and more people need to come out.

I always see people saying ’Why doesn’t someone straight have to announce it?’ Or

Why isn’t there a straight pride parade?’

No one has ever been murdered or bullied into suicide because they were straight.