Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

11 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Whatever...shudder away. My point is, if you have one member openly seeking the opposite sex, within the confines of showering together, it MIGHT happen. an attraction at the very least. Is that mathematically improbable??

why is sex the first thing people think of when gay people are mentioned?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Simon said:

No data for that could possibly exist. But of the 8-10 gay men I know, not a single one of them has ever showed the slightest interest in any sport.

I don't think it's pejorative to suggest that gay men are less interested in football or any other sport. It just seems like a general observation that holds up more often than not.

i think your experience might show gay men on team sports are less likely to be “out”.  There was a star athlete in my kids grade school - set all kinds of records in track, played club football.  Played football in HS, D1 scholarship.

He was a “playa”, treated girls as objects.  Then he came out as gay.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, T master said:

I have a announcement . I'm Hetro do you care ? If not then why should this be a thing ? 

Just do what it is you do keep it to your self  I don't Care !!! 

because most flip out over homosexual people

• Disagree 3

For the people saying it's not news, and no one cares:

Do you think if he was seen out holding hands with a guy it would have been major news?  My guess, it would be all over TMZ and the internet, that would have created a huge distraction.

My point, if it was found out he was gay, it would have been news, so this is obviously something that needed to be done by him in order to control what is speculated about him.  That's why he did what he did.  Society would have made a big deal about him having a boyfriend, and that's just the truth of where we are as society.  It's not as status quo as some like to project.

Nassib does this in the offseason and now he can be free to show his love in public with a boyfriend, and it not distract from the season he is about to play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, T master said:

I have a announcement . I'm Hetro do you care ? If not then why should this be a thing

Pretty simple: because precedents usually are news.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Michael Sam - should be celebrated - especially as he was brave enough and supported enough to come out in college and be the first openly gay player drafted - quite an accomplishment on its own!

Carl Nassib opening up while an active NFL player is on a different level than Sam I believe and I hope this allows others in the future to have a path to coming out.

Both should be celebrated for giving a voice/place to others and I look forward to the day that this isn’t news - just something that is natural.

Why should they be “celebrated”?  They say this on TV news and talk shows all the time.  The word celebrate is used much too often in these circumstances.  I will respect Nassib for his courage, and I think we as a society need to someday get past this, but I hardly think this is cause to celebrate.   

23 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

For the people saying it's not news, and no one cares:

Do you think if he was seen out holding hands with a guy it would have been major news?  My guess, it would be all over TMZ and the internet, that would have created a huge distraction.

My point, if it was found out he was gay, it would have been news, so this is obviously something that needed to be done by him in order to control what is speculated about him.  That's why he did what he did.  Society would have made a big deal about him having a boyfriend, and that's just the truth of where we are as society.  It's not as status quo as some like to project.

Nassib does this in the offseason and now he can be free to show his love in public with a boyfriend, and it not distract from the season he is about to play.

Agree. And he did it with a short statement and a quick video (about a minute) on his own social media. Not like he did some huge media event or sold his story to a magazine. He was just controlling the way the information got out there so he could get on and live his life. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Why should they be “celebrated”?  They say this on TV news and talk shows all the time.  The word celebrate is used much too often in these circumstances.  I will respect Nassib for his courage, and I think we as a society need to someday get past this, but I hardly think this is cause to celebrate.   

You must have missed the song by Kool & the Gang.

Celebrate good times, CMON!

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, T master said:

I have a announcement . I'm Hetro do you care ? If not then why should this be a thing ? 

That is easy for you to say as a straight person. Those of us who are not straight always have to manage the way that information comes out. I kinda envy Carl Nassib in a sense because he gets to come out once. He has such a public profile that he says it once on his social media and everyone knows. When he starts a new job in future he won't have to make that decision again about whether, how and when to tell his new work colleagues. We are not all that lucky. Coming out isn't a one time thing for your run of the mill gay or bisexual person. It happens normally at least a couple of times a year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Dat said:

Unless it happened after he got vaccinated and also became magnetic. In that case don’t let Bease see this. 😂

But yes, no big deal, good for him. Takes guts in his profession.

Yeah, it does. Maybe the world should be such that it doesn't, but that's not the reality right now, which is why he's the first.

Doesn't feel like it will be a big deal somehow, the way it was last time with Michael Sam.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is easy for you to say as a straight person. Those of us who are not straight always have to manage the way that information comes out. I kinda envy Carl Nassib in a sense because he gets to come out once. He has such a public profile that he says it once on his social media and everyone knows. When he starts a new job in future he won't have to make that decision again about whether, how and when to tell his new work colleagues. We are not all that lucky. Coming out isn't a one time thing for your run of the mill gay or bisexual person. It happens normally at least a couple of times a year. 

That's interesting, Bill, never thought of it that way.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, T master said:

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be answering. You're answering.

There is no equivalency there. I'm part of the overwhelming majority which has never really suffered from much discrimination is a very different thing to be saying from what he is saying, which is that he's part of a relatively small minority which has suffered from discrimination throughout much of history.

He wouldn't be the first one to ever do this if it weren't a quite different experience, particularly in the macho and at times regressive NFL culture, to announce that you're straight versus being gay.

Anyway, good for Nassib, and I hope soon this kind of thing will indeed just not really be a story.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 716er said:

Yep - that’s why he’s the only openly gay NFLer

smdh

What about that kid who was the first open person drafted? 

Michael Sam.

I guess he doesn't count.... 

Edited by Mr. K

33 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I disagree - they should be celebrated because their courage may/should allow other that are in a lesser position feel they are not alone.  LGBTQ+ suicide rates are terrible - they feel alone and ostracized many times.  They hide who they are out of fear.

Having someone come out in a field like football or the military shows people they are not alone and that it isn’t just theater majors or drama or quiet hidden people that might be like them, but people that have made it into all walks of life.  These men and women in sports and CEOs and actors and everyday people that choose to come out should be celebrated to remind everyone that we are all unique, but there are others that think like you - feel like you - you are never alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It is really sad some of the homophobic and prejudicial response from some.  The man was couragious for his outing, and it will be a great day when it becomes a non issue.

I said it earlier, for the get to guys making silly remarks, you have no idea how many gay men you’ve been around that have kept it to themselves.  Maybe it is only 4% or so, but why does it even matter.

Ive hired a couple of reps who are gay men (I am not), and had some open conversations once we became friends as I was their boss.  It is not easy for a young man to deal with the discrimination and secrecy until finally they are at peace with themselves.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Agree 4