Carl Nassib Announces He is Gay

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

say what you want. A person is allowed and encouraged to be themselves by all means. However, In a shower room of 52 other players, that may not be accepted. Plain facts. I know girls in my school wouldn't want me showering with them. Knowing I like *****. Where do you draw the line?? What ever happened to don't kiss n tell?? jmo. Am I allowwd to say "flame away" on this?😏

Here's the scary part (for you) then. I just saw a recent study that said something like only 63% of gen z consider themselves entirely heterosexual, compared to 80% plus for every older generation up to like 95%+ of the greatest generation.

It's too quick and big of a shift between millennials and gen z for that to be environmental factors like flame ######ants. My money is on that is always how things have been, and you'd just get dragged behind a truck if you did what this dude just did and come out (still happens places). Or told it's cool, be who you are totally, we're just going to ostracize you, because "plain facts." So curious how sports are even still possible these days...people must be getting dressed in their cars to avoid the stares :\

Kinda makes you wonder about all the locker rooms you've been in and all the people definitely not potentially interested in men. Or...makes you maybe wonder why you are protecting your psyche so much from potentially having someone think a thought in their own head (you didn't even say act on any attraction...freaking thought police much). Oh man, what would happen if you found out years later that a teammate came out, and they gulp, had seen you naked in the shower...ahhhhh the horror!

Also, i played sports all through high school and a bit in college, I'm 37...i have never showered naked once with teammates in any sport I've ever played, not once.

Also, there are teen coed showers in Europe from what I understand, and they don't devolve into full on orgies at all, it's just nudity...I genuinely think you'd have been just fine, and my hope is your fear of being seen in the shower alone with someone who was openly gay in turn leading to rumors about you would be lower on your priorities than sticking up for a teammate that was getting bullied.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does it count as "in the NFL" if you never make a 53 man roster, let alone play a snap

Michael Sam - should be celebrated - especially as he was brave enough and supported enough to come out in college and be the first openly gay player drafted - quite an accomplishment on its own!

Carl Nassib opening up while an active NFL player is on a different level than Sam I believe and I hope this allows others in the future to have a path to coming out.

Both should be celebrated for giving a voice/place to others and I look forward to the day that this isn’t news - just something that is natural.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

LAMP by Nassin. What is he looking for a book deal or something? I’d rather he keep his personal life, personal. Especially his sexual preferences.

He’s a public figure, so it’s hard for him to keep his personal life personal. He’s probably tired of hiding it-maybe he’s with someone he is proud to be with and wants to be seen in public with him. You think he came out as gay for a book deal?!?! Yikes

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Michael Sam - should be celebrated - especially as he was brave enough and supported enough to come out in college and be the first openly gay player drafted - quite an accomplishment on its own!

Carl Nassib opening up while an active NFL player is on a different level than Sam I believe and I hope this allows others in the future to have a path to coming out.

Both should be celebrated for giving a voice/place to others and I look forward to the day that this isn’t news - just something that is natural.

I really hope lots of players follow Nassib's lead and come out as well.

23 minutes ago, cba fan said:

avg in US is aprox 3.5% to 3.9% of men in gen pop as Gay or Bi.. So more like 1 or 2 per team. I only count 53 man roster that made team after preseason due to Sam did not count per this board. Even though he was drafted, in camp, cut at 53 man deadline so did not count per this board. Then on practice squad but never put on the 53 man roster and so does not count according to this board.

I would also add football is such a masculine sport i doubt it attracts GB leaning individuals so that 2 number per team is likely possibly lower.

Gallup poll last year shows over 5% reported being gay/bi. That’s people willing to admit it. Some sociologist say it’s more likely 10% and growing. And there are 90 players on every team right now.

Maybe you’re right and the sport doesn’t attract lgbtq individuals, I disagree, but I have no way of knowing either. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Could be anything. Hiding what? If I talk about my sex life at work, I get a visit from HR and have to go through sexual harassment training. It’s not appropriate whatever the circumstances. 

You have a picture of your wife and kids up at work (assuming you're married with kids...if not think about the person who sits next to you)?

How exactly is you telling people you got engaged to your future wife as a guy any different than if you said you were engaged to someone of the same sex?

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Could be anything why he’s looking for attention. Hiding what? If I talk about my sex life at work, I get a visit from HR and have to go through sexual harassment training. It’s not appropriate whatever the circumstances or preferences. 

Saying one is gay = talking about their sex life?

• Like (+1) 2

Could be anything why he’s looking for attention. Hiding what? If I talk about my sex life at work, I get a visit from HR and have to go through sexual harassment training. It’s not appropriate whatever the circumstances or preferences. 

He wasn’t at work, he was on his own Instagram! Also not once does he mention anything about his sex life. You’re obviously not getting it-being gay still widely isn’t seen by many people as a normal thing, so yes normally people do have to declare it at some point. Does he get more attention for it because he plays in the nfl absolutely he does, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t or can’t mention it. Do you react like this when you see these guys give their girlfriends/wife a hug or a kiss on tv?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Could be anything. Hiding what? If I talk about my sex life at work, I get a visit from HR and have to go through sexual harassment training. It’s not appropriate whatever the circumstances. 

That's because you're an elementary school teacher.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Its not a difference of opinion.  Words have clear and established meanings.  Like normal for instance, "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected."  So when a player comes out and becomes the FIRST ACTIVE OPENLY GAY PLAYER IN NFL HISTORY  that is anything but normal because its the first time in history that it has ever happened.  This event is literally the antithesis of normal.  Everything you have posted in this thread is completely incorrect 

Ok, so we will pursue your path. 

Who was the first openly gay engineer?

Astronaut?

Police officer?

Police chief?

Electrician?

Welder?

Seems the only thing that makes this different is the occupation, which is my point. Not that I care he is gay.

Make sure to use bold, caps and italics next time, throw in an underline as well, then we will know you are right.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

LAMP by Nassin. What is he looking for a book deal or something? I’d rather he keep his personal life, personal. Especially his sexual preferences.

He made it pretty clear what part of his motivation was, but I'll be happy to post it again for you:

image.thumb.png.ccf89b4c49155ff7156754791668adaf.png

Why should he have to keep his personal life secret just to suit your preferences?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Funny but doesn’t matter profession.

I live in So Cal. Most important quality is the type of person you are. Kind, loving, thoughtful. That is what really matters. Gay isn’t a personality trait, it’s a sexual orientation. 

Pretty sure "Gay" is talking about one's sex life according to you.

Funny but doesn’t matter profession.

I live in So Cal. Most important quality is the type of person you are. Kind, loving, thoughtful. That is what really matters. Gay isn’t a personality trait, it’s a sexual orientation. 

True, but there's still a stigma attached to it.  Coming out as a professional football player takes guts and shouldn't be diminished.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

avg in US is aprox 3.5% to 3.9% of men in gen pop as Gay or Bi.. So more like 1 or 2 per team. I only count 53 man roster that made team after preseason due to Sam did not count per this board. Even though he was drafted, in camp, cut at 53 man deadline so did not count per this board. Then on practice squad but never put on the 53 man roster and so does not count according to this board.

I would also add football is such a masculine sport i doubt it attracts GB leaning individuals so that 2 number per team is likely possibly lower.

You have any data whatsoever to support your claim that being gay makes someone less masculine, and that fewer would play football?

Please don't point to ballet or something to prove your point. There are certain sports society deems as acceptable for boys to play, and the implication is if a boy wants to do dancing or figure skating then they must be gay.

My sons will do whatever they are interested in (sports, theater, music, art) and if anyone has a problem with that go judge elsewhere and I'll be plenty content with the knowledge my kids will not resent me for making them change who they are as humans to fit some arbitrary version of themselves that they think will gain my love and validation.

So, so, so sad people would twist like a pretzel to protect the idea of immature high school boys thinking someone might stare at their junk and judge them (the irony is the normalization of that behavior against women in movies like porkys as being boys will be boys) instead of thinking about the child in that situation who could be going through potentially crisis levels of stress and loneliness.

This isn't about being woke. It's about being ok with someone being in potential crisis emotional situations and instead of being compassionate, it's saying that person might look at me naked so lets ostracize them. That's legit awful, at best going to lead to long term emotional issues and potentially going to lead to suicide. There's no excuse for that. It sort of makes someone who would knowingly perpetuates that form of thinking an objectively bad person.

(edit: I'm not talking about you specifically cba fan or the comment that masculine people aren't gay/ wont play football...talking about adults in general who would ostracize a teenager from their peers because they find something icky or whatever).

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

You have any data whatsoever to support your claim that being gay makes someone less masculine, and that fewer would play football?

No data for that could possibly exist. But of the 8-10 gay men I know, not a single one of them has ever showed the slightest interest in any sport.

I don't think it's pejorative to suggest that gay men are less interested in football or any other sport. It just seems like a general observation that holds up more often than not.