Chris Simms Top 40 quaterbacks - in depth Josh vs Aaron

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am clearly a huge Bills fan and Josh Allen fan but it seems to me every time Chris Simms opens his mouth about QB analysis or rankings or whatever, he’s trying to be a hot take artist. It’s like he wants to be talked about - “wow can you believe Chris Simms thinks Kellen mond should have been a 1st rounder?? What is he thinking or is literally everyone else including people who do this for a living totally wrong about him?? ” Etc etc 

He really doesn't think that way.

He doesn't try to say I'm right and you're wrong, simply that that's his opinion and here's how he backs it up.

He doesn't care about hot takes. He does care about expressing his opinion, whether or not most agree with him.

His eventual career goal is to be an NFL GM. Throwing a ton of hot takes out there will not push him in that direction.

Oh, and ranking Brady as #10 is fairly reasonable, IMO. He's not ranking him historically, just as to how good he is right now. Which is very good but not as terrific as he used to be. Brady is in a fantastic situation.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

His biggest controversial take ahead of the last four drafts....

2018 - You have Allen ahead of Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen?  Darnold at #5?

2019 - You put Drew Lock in front of Dwane Haskins?

2020 - You have Herbert and Love ahead of Tua?

2021 - You have Wilson ahead of Lawrence?

Hoping he's wrong about Wilson.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am clearly a huge Bills fan and Josh Allen fan but it seems to me every time Chris Simms opens his mouth about QB analysis or rankings or whatever, he’s trying to be a hot take artist. It’s like he wants to be talked about - “wow can you believe Chris Simms thinks Kellen mond should have been a 1st rounder?? What is he thinking or is literally everyone else including people who do this for a living totally wrong about him?? ” Etc etc 

Josh over AR is hardly a hot take.  Simms’s reasoning is very solid.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Except Simms has been on the Allen bandwagon since he was drafted so it's not really a hot take.  

Thanks for sharing that.

I really don't listen to much sports stuff from the US, apart from Bills related things. Mostly here on TBD.

That said, I've really enjoyed listening to all of the Chris Simms/Josh Allen podcasts that posters have shared here over the last few years.  I agree with just about all of his observations and opinions on Josh and eat up every word he says, when he gushes over what a stud Josh is.  It is beautiful music to my ears.

Let's go Buffalo!

I like it…and I like Simms…however, one thing perplexed me: he stated around the 15 minute mark that Josh lives in BUF and works with Daboll year round. That is inaccurate. The argument is true (that Josh is all in on Buffalo) but that statement is factually inaccurate. 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This list is more ridiculous than last year.  Stafford ahead of Brady.  Zach Wilson (ont eh Jets!) ahead of Goff. Newton ahead of Big Ben, FitzMagic, Goff.......

Taysom Hill ahead of any actual QB.

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve noticed that for years with all sorts of media dweebs. They’re all looking to be the first one with the big controversial take so people pay attention and give them views and clicks. I’m convinced these dudes are playing characters at this point because you know some of the BS they spew they don’t even believe themselves. But they all have their production meetings with their superiors and editors and they get direction on what type of discussion to have and where to keep the focus on which topics and all that stuff. It’s annoying. I haven’t watched any sort of pregame show in years because of it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just saw a cool stat on "The Herd". Including the playoffs, Allen had 3 games of 300 passing and 50 rushing last year..... That happens to be the most ever in a season.

This further pushes the point that Simms tries to make about no QB being relied on as much as the Bills relied on Allen.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Just saw a cool stat on "The Herd". Including the playoffs, Allen had 3 games of 300 passing and 50 rushing last year..... That happens to be the most ever in a season.

This further pushes the point that Simms tries to make about no QB being relied on as much as the Bills relied on Allen.

That’s for certain 

I like Josh He is a very good QB on the cusp of being elite. 

His achilles heel is that he holds onto the ball too long.  He needs to get the ball out sooner.  If I were a DC facing Josh, I'd defense him by disguising coverages to confuse him and blitzing him.

I also have concerns about his long term durability.  All of those hits he takes when running the ball will add up over the years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

As a life long Bills fan, I'm still getting comfortable with the notion that we have a legit top-5 QB1.  All those years wandering the QB and HC desert have left me somewhat cautious.  Josh was the guy I wanted on draft night.  I was estatic when they drafted him.  Last year was THE most fun I have had as a Bills fan in literally decades.  Watching them hew down the over-vaunted NFC West and sweep the AFC East made for a delirious ride.  Even the Cards game was awesome when Allen led them downfield to give them the lead.  I used to joke with people that the Bills were the minor league football team of the NFL where they would draft the players, train them up and then send them to big league teams where their full potential could be exploited.  No more.  Josh Allen is now becoming a player that attracts talent.  Times are a changing.

I'd personally like to see Josh match last year's performance.  I don't expect him to exceed it as I would hope the rest of the team picks up and truly plays complimentary football as is so oft spoken from the HC.  I hope to see growth in leadershipI hope to see him continue to win games when they need him toI hope to see him manage games when they don't I hope to see the INTs and fumbles go down.   Teams aren't going to get caught by surprise with the wide-open Daboll offense again this year.  Josh's play needs to evolve this year.   Like every legit top QB-1 seems to be able to do.

I do wonder if Simms' mancrush on Josh doesn't skew his e v a l a bit.

I personally can't pick him over Rodgers yet.  Rodgers has been so clutch and displays all the things I have highlighted on a consistent level over many years. 

There is so much preseason hype on the Bills.  Hard to go from never talked about to always talked about.  From hunter to hunted.  But it sure is going to be a fun ride for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, wjag said:

Teams aren't going to get caught by surprise with the wide-open Daboll offense again this year.  Josh's play needs to evolve this year.   

I doubt they were catching anyone by surprise by the last month of the season when they finished it out averaging about 38 pts a game over the last 4 or 5 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/21/2021 at 5:44 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Hey 👋, Simms beats this guy any day of the week and 2x on Sundays! 
https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2020-12-23-nick-wright-dont-buy-into-josh-allen-having-success-this-postseason/

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I doubt they were catching anyone by surprise by the last month of the season when they finished it out averaging about 38 pts a game over the last 4 or 5 weeks. 

Yep. Hardest thing in the league to defend is a top quality passing attack.

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yep. Hardest thing in the league to defend is a top quality passing attack.

Unless your TB apparently with a stout DLINE and good LBs.