Chris Simms Top 40 quaterbacks - in depth Josh vs Aaron

Simms highlights and appreciates Josh’s unique, intangible playmaking ability that makes down/distance factors almost irrelevant—I couldn’t agree more. We have someone special, perhaps a generational talent to make up for all the drought years of mediocrity at the position?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/21/2021 at 4:44 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I am clearly a huge Bills fan and Josh Allen fan but it seems to me every time Chris Simms opens his mouth about QB analysis or rankings or whatever, he’s trying to be a hot take artist. It’s like he wants to be talked about - “wow can you believe Chris Simms thinks Kellen mond should have been a 1st rounder?? What is he thinking or is literally everyone else including people who do this for a living totally wrong about him?? ” Etc etc 

That could be true on some things, but every time I've listened to Simms the last couple years, he's been pretty darn consistent in regards to Allen. I have no idea what his other hot takes are, but with Allen he's been pretty willing to place him highly in any QB discussion.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:27 AM, Mr. WEO said:

And he would start a team with Murray or Stafford or Jackson over Brady?  Or Herbert?   He would start a team with Taysom Hill over any rookie drafted this year?

Come on....this  list he puts out is purely for clicks.

I would take those 3 over Brady?  I would take Murray Jackson over Herbert but not the other two (I can't remember the list and am a bit confused by your sentence structure). 

I think hes wrong on Taysom Hill, but I really don't think the list is for clicks.  Last year he actually tempered his list quite a bit and had Josh only at like 18 even though he really like him.  He did similar with Burrow.  His list maybe more out on a limb this year but I don't think its just for clicks. 

Do you think his picking of Josh and Lamar over the other 3 QBs in 2018 was just for clicks?  Same for choosing Herbert over Tua?  If hes just doing things for clicks then hes had well above average luck.

For the other post about KC and disguising coverage, it was some of that but moreover that game was them CHANGING coverage to match the audible and Josh not having enough time to get back into the right play.

You would not take Murray over Herbert.   Jackson either.  Hill doesn’t belong on any list, let alone twice.  

it’s for clicks.  It’s connected to his compensation most likely.  Why so hard to accept that?

On 6/22/2021 at 6:49 AM, TroutDog said:

I like it…and I like Simms…however, one thing perplexed me: he stated around the 15 minute mark that Josh lives in BUF and works with Daboll year round. That is inaccurate. The argument is true (that Josh is all in on Buffalo) but that statement is factually inaccurate. 

Not only isn’t it true it’s not even allowed under the CBA

C’mon man, that list is REALLLY questionable.  I appreciate the JA spot, but Rodgers is still the man.  There’s a lot of love for guys who have never been on an NFL field and hate for 1st ballot HOF QBs on this list.

9 hours ago, DCofNC said:

C’mon man, that list is REALLLY questionable.  I appreciate the JA spot, but Rodgers is still the man.  There’s a lot of love for guys who have never been on an NFL field and hate for 1st ballot HOF QBs on this list.

Simms’s probably a bit biased about particular plays. Notably looking at the NFCCG, there’s no way Allen passes up that running lane to the EZ on 3rd down. I don’t think Allen’s surpassed Rodgers yet, however I can see the logic when you factor in the rushing TDs and red zone efficiency. Rodgers doesn’t risk his body like that anymore and there are times when that is detrimental. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:49 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t take “clicks” too literally … I meant that I think he wants people to talk about him. He wants to be relevant.  Whether that be on social media or on here or on sports radio - because he has a “wow did you see that” opinion. That’s how he comes across to me.  

Well at least his opinions are his own, and not handed to him by his bosses, sure his opinions are somewhat controversial, which kind of over stats what I’m getting at, but at least the number one pass and catch combo in the league aren’t rated outside of the top thirty-five players in the league, like some other worthless outfit ranks them…, Simms is quirky for sure, but his show doesn’t suck like the vast majority of football talk shows and sites do. 

Go Bills!!!

On 6/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Mr. WEO said:

You would not take Murray over Herbert.   Jackson either.  Hill doesn’t belong on any list, let alone twice.  

it’s for clicks.  It’s connected to his compensation most likely.  Why so hard to accept that?

You don't think theres an argument for either Jackson (MVP winner) or Murray (2019 Offensive rookie of the year) over Herbert (2020 offensive rookie of the year)? 

Simms was pretty high on Herbert and had him #2 in the class (well ahead of Tua).  That was him going out on a limb last year imo so now youre gonna say hes doing click bait by not having him high enough. 

Why is it so hard to accept that this is his opinion and is not for clicks.  

On 6/22/2021 at 12:58 AM, Chandler#81 said:

He’s had a man crush on Josh since Allen hit the crossbar in the practice facility.

Im hooked on C. Sims.

Wasn't that Trent Dilfer's QB camp too? They were on with Rich Eisen talking about it right? That's a great clip!

4 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

Wasn't that Trent Dilfer's QB camp too? They were on with Rich Eisen talking about it right? That's a great clip!

He did it again with Simms two seasons ago at OBD.  

agree that’s a great watch though.  That’s where dilfer lays out the fallacy of the idea that completion percentage is the same as accuracy. 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:27 AM, Mr. WEO said:

And he would start a team with Murray or Stafford or Jackson over Brady?  Or Herbert?   He would start a team with Taysom Hill over any rookie drafted this year?

Come on....this  list he puts out is purely for clicks.

You didn’t listen to the podcast. It’s not a ranking of “which QB would you start a team with?”  It’s “which QB would you rather have, to win the most games for the 2021 season only”, which is why the rookies are ranked so low.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

You didn’t listen to the podcast. It’s not a ranking of “which QB would you start a team with?”  It’s “which QB would you rather have, to win the most games for the 2021 season only”, which is why the rookies are ranked so low.

I was responding to this.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:46 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I am fairly certain that anyone accusing Simms of clickbait and the like doesn't regularly listen to Unbuttoned or PFT. Simms is about as far away from a clickbait guy as you can get, and he hates the social media environment. These are real opinions and they always have good, solid reasoning behind them. Also, the methodology of his QB rankings doesn't take history, offensive scheme, or the team the guy is currently on into account at all. It's "If I were starting a team with a generic scheme, who are the best quarterbacks?"

Anyway, name one GM who would pick Taysom Hill over, say, Trevor Laurence (let alone some of the vets ranked behind Hill) to win the most games for their team this year?

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was responding to this.

Anyway, name one GM who would pick Taysom Hill over, say, Trevor Laurence (let alone some of the vets ranked behind Hill) to win the most games for their team this year?

I’m not defending his ranking of Hill, just pointing out that Simms was not doing his rankings on the basis you suggested.  Under his ranking “system” rookies are always going to be ranked low because they haven’t proven anything yet.  For example, Simms loved Justin Herbert coming out, but put him pretty far down the list last year because he was an unproven rookie.

31 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not defending his ranking of Hill, just pointing out that Simms was not doing his rankings on the basis you suggested.  Under his ranking “system” rookies are always going to be ranked low because they haven’t proven anything yet.  For example, Simms loved Justin Herbert coming out, but put him pretty far down the list last year because he was an unproven rookie.

Again, it wasn't what I suggested.  I was responding to the post I cited.

And while he loved Herbert coming out, Simms put him (the Offensive Rookie of the Year) behind Kyler Murray.  wtf. Which would you want?  

He has Taysom Hill ahead of Goff, lol.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again, it wasn't what I suggested.  I was responding to the post I cited.

And while he loved Herbert coming out, Simms put him (the Offensive Rookie of the Year) behind Kyler Murray.  wtf. Which would you want?  

He has Taysom Hill ahead of Goff, lol.  

To answer your question, I would take Herbert 10 times out of 10 over Murray.

I really like Simms’s draft analysis, but I agree that a lot of these QB rankings are garbage, especially his ranking of Cam Newton, Wentz, Hill and Jameis Winston.  I mean, Wentz and Newton were easily the two worst starting QBs in the league last year and he’s got them in his top 20??

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I really like Simms’s draft analysis, but I agree that a lot of these QB rankings are garbage, especially his ranking of Cam Newton, Wentz, Hill and Jameis Winston.  I mean, Wentz and Newton were easily the two worst starting QBs in the league last year and he’s got them in his top 20??

Herbert did have a good season. Interested to see if he can play that well again. He was impressive for sure. He kinda surprised me. I think I'd take him over Murray also.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Yeah all that nonsense takes away a lot of whatever shine Simm's analysis supposedly possesses.   The inclusion of Hill last year was a major hook to get everyone talking about his QB list (and it worked).  So this year he doubled down on Taysom Clickbait and moved him up 12 spots!!--from 36 to 24.  That's a shameful move, lol.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:31 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah all that nonsense takes away a lot of whatever shine Simm's analysis supposedly possesses.   The inclusion of Hill last year was a major hook to get everyone talking about his QB list (and it worked).  So this year he doubled down on Taysom Clickbait and moved him up 12 spots!!--from 36 to 24.  That's a shameful move, lol.

I'm in the minority but I think Hill can be successful as a QB. It would only work with SP as his HC but he was decent last year and is a hell of athlete. If Lamar can be successful, Hill can too. Its gonna be scheme dependent, but good coaches put their players in position to be successful