Chris Simms Top 40 quaterbacks - in depth Josh vs Aaron

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Wanna know something else?  I saw a FB post that had Allen, Lamar, Dak and Herbert….you have to remove one and no one of the dozens of replies I read had Allen.  Most was Dak, then Lamar and a few Herbert.  When FB trolls respect Allen, the world almost pauses.

Well…. PFF just ranked him all the way down at #40 in their countdown of top players heading into next year. They also only put Diggs at #45 while AJ Brown is at 38… so at least we have that bit of normalcy still 😂. Schlereth and Cowherd have some thoughts on that right here at the 3:20 mark 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Well…. PFF just ranked him all the way down at #40 in their countdown of top players heading into next year. They also only put Diggs at #45 while AJ Brown is at 38… so at least we have that bit of normalcy still 😂. Schlereth and Cowherd have some thoughts on that right here at the 3:20 mark 

Colin Cowherd has changed his tune quite a bit regarding Josh. When the top 100 came out and Josh was at 88 I think, he ridiculed him for being so high now it’s the opposite. Nice to see those in the media giving Josh his respect.

Simms putting Josh number 2 isn’t as much of a hot take as it’s a confirmation to many Bills fan that Josh is really as good as we think he is. Can’t wait to see how he has improved this off-season. 

6 minutes ago, cisco2403 said:

Colin Cowherd has changed his tune quite a bit regarding Josh. When the top 100 came out and Josh was at 88 I think, he ridiculed him for being so high now it’s the opposite. Nice to see those in the media giving Josh his respect.

Simms putting Josh number 2 isn’t as much of a hot take as it’s a confirmation to many Bills fan that Josh is really as good as we think he is. Can’t wait to see how he has improved this off-season. 

I remember his reaction to that ranking. He claimed he wasn’t even deserving of a top 200 ranking let alone top 100. It’s been very clear from the jump that the players(they voted him in) respected Allen’s game much more than the media over the last couple of years. Same goes for former players/QB’s. There’s a handful of former qb’s that have been adamant about what he would become since his rookie year. Quinn, Dilfer, and both Simms come to mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Those stupid sons of ******

8 hours ago, wjag said:

Unless your TB apparently with a stout DLINE and good LBs.

It's hard even for them.

When the KC o-line was healthy early in the year, they beat the Bucs 27-24, including 456 passing yards. I'd argue that shows a good passing attack being hard to stop even for KC. The Saints put up 34 and 38 points against them during the year, beating them twice.

Yeah, Tampa has a terrific defense, though, and yeah, that's a very good thing to have. Can't argue that.

I am fairly certain that anyone accusing Simms of clickbait and the like doesn't regularly listen to Unbuttoned or PFT. Simms is about as far away from a clickbait guy as you can get, and he hates the social media environment. These are real opinions and they always have good, solid reasoning behind them. Also, the methodology of his QB rankings doesn't take history, offensive scheme, or the team the guy is currently on into account at all. It's "If I were starting a team with a generic scheme, who are the best quarterbacks?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, eball said:

We have a stud, he'll be here for the next 15 years, and we're going to win multiple championships.  I don't even need to see/hear these analyses any more.

You have to admit though that it is really nice to be able to make such a statement about our Buffalo Bills and our QB situation.  I still have to pinch myself sometimes to know it's actually happening.  Heck, I still have to get my mind to reconcile the fact that that stud #17 that's taken the league by storm is actually wearing a Buffalo Bills helmet.  He's changed everyone's perception about our team and just a Bills QB in general it's hard to fathom sometimes that it's really happening to the Bills. 

50 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I am fairly certain that anyone accusing Simms of clickbait and the like doesn't regularly listen to Unbuttoned or PFT. Simms is about as far away from a clickbait guy as you can get, and he hates the social media environment. These are real opinions and they always have good, solid reasoning behind them. Also, the methodology of his QB rankings doesn't take history, offensive scheme, or the team the guy is currently on into account at all. It's "If I were starting a team with a generic scheme, who are the best quarterbacks?"

I agree 100%.  Simms is a big Josh Allen fan, yes, but for real, solid reasons.  I really like the way he talks about things in a not-so-technical way.  You really know that he's saying what he's really thinking as a former NFL quarterback himself and he expresses it in his own words.   I'm a big Chris Simms fan.  He's just real and genuine.

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/21/2021 at 6:09 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like that he ranked Josh 2nd and it’s a good thread. I’m just not a huge fan of Simms for that reason I stated. 

I'm not a huge fan of Simms and all the things like that but in this case, I don't really see JA @ #2 as a stretch. Are people forgetting that Rodgers had basically a career year in 2020? Why would we expect a repeat while also expecting Josh to regress? Rodgers blew his 2018 and 2019 numbers out of the water.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

And he would start a team with Murray or Stafford or Jackson over Brady?  Or Herbert?   He would start a team with Taysom Hill over any rookie drafted this year?

Come on....this  list he puts out is purely for clicks.

• Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, Old Coot said:

I like Josh He is a very good QB on the cusp of being elite. 

His achilles heel is that he holds onto the ball too long.  He needs to get the ball out sooner.  If I were a DC facing Josh, I'd defense him by disguising coverages to confuse him and blitzing him.

I also have concerns about his long term durability.  All of those hits he takes when running the ball will add up over the years.

Josh holding the ball sets him up to get big chunks of yards, and it works. Teams tried to disguise coverages and that didn't work and Allen still carved them up. 

If Allen holding the ball longer continues to result in wins,  i don't care. 

At this point in his career,  he's not going to be a dink and dunk passer that gets the ball out just to get the ball out.  Maybe 10 years from now,  but not today. 

Edited by loyal2dagame

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Don’t take “clicks” too literally … I meant that I think he wants people to talk about him. He wants to be relevant.  Whether that be on social media or on here or on sports radio - because he has a “wow did you see that” opinion. That’s how he comes across to me.  

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t take “clicks” too literally … I meant that I think he wants people to talk about him. He wants to be relevant.  Whether that be on social media or on here or on sports radio - because he has a “wow did you see that” opinion. That’s how he comes across to me.  

True.  any of these guys that post these annual list are only doing it for people to click on it.  There really can't be any reason he insists on including a guy like Hill every year.  He wants to stimulate that argument.  It's bait in it's purest form.  No one can credibly argue otherwise.

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

True.  any of these guys that post these annual list are only doing it for people to click on it.  There really can't be any reason he insists on including a guy like Hill every year.  He wants to stimulate that argument.  It's bait in it's purest form.  No one can credibly argue otherwise.

Clearly he is trying to generate content that will promote further discussion, but that doesn’t mean this list is compiled in bad faith. To me that’s why click bait is a misnomer…I take Simms’ stuff at face value. He seems reasonable for the most part.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Clearly he is trying to generate content that will promote further discussion, but that doesn’t mean this list is compiled in bad faith. To me that’s why click bait is a misnomer…I take Simms’ stuff at face value. He seems reasonable for the most part.

The Hill mention is preposterous, worse so because he ranked him last year as well.  He can’t be credibly ranked, let akonr where herwnked him.

His other shaky rank placements I already mentioned

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I disagree. I find it puzzling that one could listen to him and draw that conclusion. He's as real as they come.

5 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

Josh holding the ball sets him up to get big chunks of yards, and it works.

Sometimes.  Effective pass rushing can get to Josh and force him to get rid of the ball sooner than he'd like.  See the KC Conference title game.

Teams tried to disguise coverages and that didn't work and Allen still carved them up.

True but not all disguises are created equal.  If your disguise is a common one & on tape, Josh will be prepped for it but if its a new disguise or a new D, that will cause Josh to hesitate and that gives the pass rush a better opportunity to get to him.  Again see the KC game where they unveiled a new D.

That said, I expect that as Josh gets more experience at recognizing D's he'll make faster decisions.