I think this is the year for Ed Oliver

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

If he doesn't replicate Aaron Donald numbers this year, he's a bust!

Or not...

He's already pretty solid. Any improvement will be nice, but he's done well.

Levi Wallace is solid  (UDFA) with any improvement would be nice , BUT a 1st round pick especially a top 10 pick should/ has to be a difference maker regardless of the position , we’ve invested so much $ and draft capital on this defense we have some of the best defensive mind coaches, this defense needs to be dominant, solid is not good enough , 

Edited by Putin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They've been saying this about Oliver since college. At some point we just have to say he is what he is. 

Well, he was drafted in 2018. This is his third year in the NFL. They say to never judge a draft till at least three years later. Oliver played at 285 last year, I think he belongs at 300-305. He is built a lot like Kyle Williams IMO. He is a bit undersized, but once again, he was playing a lot of nose, which is incredible for a guy that’s so light. If you want to argue and say he isn’t a great NT, I agree with you, but in my mind, you can’t argue that Oliver could be a very good 3T if he was allowed to attack. Also, you can’t argue that Oliver would not be good in run support if he didn’t have to eat two blockers. Is he Pat Williams? No, but he is good enough for what Buffalo wants to do, which is to build a DL that can kill your QB. By all means, put Star in at RDT and Oliver in at LDT in obvious running situations, but by and large for the most part Oliver will be at RDT most of the time because this is a passing league and our DL is designed to hunt QBs.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

He already has.

He was the best player on the Bills defensive front last year and it wasn't really close.

Still, having to play a lot of 1 tech limited the things he could do to be disruptive.  If Star and Harrison can share most of the 1 tech work, it will free Oliver to do the kind of stuff that generates more stats and attention.

5 hours ago, H2o said:

If Ed is playing his natural 3-Tech position this year, and we are getting solid 1-Tech play from Star or Harry, then I am expecting anywhere between 10-14 sacks and 10 more tfl's to go along with it. I think last year's experience will help him even more so because of the fact he faced those double teams for a majority of the season while playing out of position. If you can take on and get wins against two 300lb+ starting OL'man, then going against one is gonna be like you gave a fat kid a box of Ho Hos. Ed's gonna eat. 

Ed Oliver was both double teamed and playing a different position the majority of the time last season?

Say what?

The tales are getting taller with each passing week of the offseason.😂 

He took "a few" snaps at 1 tech but once they decided on the Phillips/Butler rotation around mid-season those guys played the majority of the 1 tech snaps and that was where the majority of the doubles were going.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Poyer “wasn’t even close” to as good as Ed Oliver last year?  Please. 

imo, Poyer was probably the best player on the Bills defense last year.

And that's coming from a guy who had never been very high on him previously.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

imo, he was probably the best player on the Bills defense.

Who Ed?  He might have been.  I love Ed…..but if someone is contending that Jordan Poyers play wasn’t even close to that of Ed last year, I’d say person doesn’t know what they’re watching.  Poyer was very good last season and worthy of a pro bowl selection.  Many feel he was robbed.  I didn’t hear one person say Ed should’ve made the pro bowl. Calais Campbell…..a    3-4 DE that played in 12 games and had 4 sacks made it over him.  I didn’t feel he was robbed.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Who Ed?  He might have been.  I love Ed…..but if someone is contending that Jordan Poyers play wasn’t even close to that of Ed last year, I’d say person doesn’t know what they’re watching.  Poyer was very good last season and worthy of a pro bowl selection.  Many feel he was robbed.  I didn’t hear one person say Ed should’ve made the pro bowl. Calais Campbell…..a    3-4 DE that played in 12 games and had 4 sacks made it over him.  I didn’t feel he was robbed.  

I edited and added to the original post, but I meant I thought Poyer was the best player on the Bills D last year.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

I edited and added to the original post, but I meant I thought Poyer was the best player on the Bills D last year.

Gotcha…..sorry I misunderstood.  

agreed

I said this last year also. If he doesn’t have a big year this year, then the big question is why. He has the talent and now he had the big man back and a plethera of ends to mix in a pass rush. There are no excuses this year. 

• Agree 1