🎶Snyder wears his war wound like a crown
He calls his team WFT🎵
'Cause he likes the name
And he sends it to the finest PR firm in town🎶

Snyder, Snyder likes his money🎶
He makes a lot they say
Spends his days counting
In a garage by the Beltway🎵
Now before you all go getting medieval on my arse, remember the guy who doesn't know it's Le'Veon Bell is the one who started it. 🤨

(With a big assist from Augie. 😁)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Blame Augie!
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Trout, luv ya bud, but  WFT?  I read the article and not really sure why if this is just temporary and will have a permanent name hopefully by 2022, so they lose on some knock off merchandise, and get a few jokes on Family Guy, big deal.

I don’t know why they don’t just go with Washington Redtails.  It’s patriotic, real hero’s from WW2, and addresses breaking diversity barriers.  That’s really the story if the Tuskegee Airmen who broke serious barriers in the Army in our most important war for freedom.  I do not believe there is a professional American Sports team called the Redtails.

Trout, I know this title is a trademark topic, not another let’s name the team like we did last year, but two names have had real momentum amongst Washingtonians.  

Anyway, thanks for sharing the article.

Some background information: Some smart alec went and trademarked a bunch of potential names before Snyder did. His goal was to sell the trademark to Snyder. Snyder refused to play ball and went with WFT. Maybe Redtails was among the names the the extortionist trademarked.

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

did you ever see the simpsons one where homer was trying to get betting advice at $5/min. And they would say one letter or word every five seconds. Would …. You…. Like…the…..lockdown….bet….etc.

Lol no but I do love some Simpsons

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, no. Going from one ethnicity theme to another because public pressure demanded it, doesn’t seem logical. 

But I like the thought. How ‘bout The Marshals? Gives credence to police, D.C. and would be named after original owner George Preston Marshall.

You really think naming them after George Preston Marshall is a good thing?  I’m assuming you don’t know anything about him outside of he was the original owner.   And mentioning him along with the police...?   I won’t derail the thread. 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The trademark squatter owns that trademark already, according to the article. 

Yup.  As I said, it's dumb that they allowed that and not "Washington Football Team."  Your tax dollars at work...

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’ll say something I almost never do, but respectfully disagree.  The Tuskegee Airmen were one of the most heroic stories on WW2, and broke the barrier as you guys may know allowing African American men to be pilots which then sparked the development of the Air Force division post WW2.  Not the only reason, but it’s cited as one of many contributing factors.  This embodies heroism, courage, and progress.  Redskin is pretty obvious as a derogatory depiction of native Americans.  

I just read a story in Forbes of he is one of the grandsons of one of the Redtails.  He went on and on what pride of his country, his football team, and what a positive symbol of the progress our country has evolved to name the nations capital after those brave war hero’s.  

Besides, can you imagine how they could play it up with one of those vintage planes at the front of the stadium, doing a fly by before games with those Redtails planes.  It would be a marketing bonanza for a team that is just getting over a scandal on top of the public pressure to change the name.

Lastly, most of the articles I’ve read have stated in polling the two names with the most fan appeal in the Washington area are the Redtails, and the Red Wolves.

I agree done right it is a no brainer. Incorporate racial awareness of the Tuskegee Airmen into a museum etc etc...... a whole new identify in a positive way.

and FYI: the Airmen also comprised a smaller number of other minority groups so that is a plus also.

17 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I thought I read somewhere along the way that you could lose the trademark if you didn't actually use it for anything (like a squatter).  Probably a protracted legal process ($) in any event

reportedly the squatter is selling t shirts of all his squat names.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, boater said:

Some background information: Some smart alec went and trademarked a bunch of potential names before Snyder did. His goal was to sell the trademark to Snyder. Snyder refused to play ball and went with WFT. Maybe Redtails was among the names the the extortionist trademarked.

Wrong.

"McCaulay on Wednesday retained a lawyer who is planning to send a letter to team owner Daniel Snyder offering “to open the door to discussions so that, if the franchise is at all concerned about Mr. McCaulay’s trademark registrations or pending applications, the team is aware that there is nothing to fear.”

McCaulay “has no intention to stand in the way of the Washington NFL team,” says the letter, signed by Florida attorney Darren Heitner.

“Mr. McCaulay will gladly do whatever is in his power to clear a path for the Washington NFL team to rebrand itself without the need to incur substantial legal fees,” 

"In a 2015 interview with The Washington Post, McCaulay said he had spent more than $20,000 on trademarks applications and considered it a “high-risk investment.” He said this week, though, that if the team wants to pursue a name he has laid claim to, he would be willing to hand it over at no cost.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Beast said:

Just confuse everyone and call themselves the Washingtons.

The Washington Washingtons. I like it. They could put old GWs profile on the side of their helmets as their logo. Would be awesome.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wrong.

"McCaulay on Wednesday retained a lawyer who is planning to send a letter to team owner Daniel Snyder offering “to open the door to discussions so that, if the franchise is at all concerned about Mr. McCaulay’s trademark registrations or pending applications, the team is aware that there is nothing to fear.”

McCaulay “has no intention to stand in the way of the Washington NFL team,” says the letter, signed by Florida attorney Darren Heitner.

“Mr. McCaulay will gladly do whatever is in his power to clear a path for the Washington NFL team to rebrand itself without the need to incur substantial legal fees,” 

"In a 2015 interview with The Washington Post, McCaulay said he had spent more than $20,000 on trademarks applications and considered it a “high-risk investment.” He said this week, though, that if the team wants to pursue a name he has laid claim to, he would be willing to hand it over at no cost.

IMO this is the worst type of extortion—somebody wanting nothing from you really ****s with your head.  

• Haha (+1) 4

On 6/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, Chandler#81 said:

I know this. They’re certainly a better reference than Redskins vs Paleskins. Redskins had some very prominent figures as well. It’s STILL an ethnic reference which I’ll be surprised if they dare go that route again.

It would be very ironic for the team which was last to integrate. 

Like $nyder did saying "name would never change" the previous owner said he would never integrate.

8 hours ago, vincec said:

The Washington Washingtons. I like it. They could put old GWs profile on the side of their helmets as their logo. Would be awesome.

NFLPA would object. Washington had slaves.