WFT having difficulties trade marking the name

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/19/washington-football-team-trademark-refused/

Interesting to me. They go from fighting tooth and nail to keep the former name (of which they allowed the TM to lapse) and now they are having difficulties in trade marking the new generic name. 

To be honest, I kind of like WFT. 

Edit: oh, by the way, this has nothing to do with Covid or Beasley so this thread has that going for it. 😃 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 12

Above Snyder and the Team, I expect that the NFL has rules about choosing or changing-to a name to which you dont hold the trademark.

Jerry Jones isnt about to share his 1/32 (or whatever) with some trademark squatter, the Russian Mafia or random Nigerian 'entrepreneurs.'

I think they should just keep it, but doesn't seem like the splash Snyder would want. If they use WFT this year, they're extremely foolish if they don't keep it. Nothing could beat "New Orleans Pelicans" , half decade later it still sounds fake 😆😆

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/19/washington-football-team-trademark-refused/

Interesting to me. They go from fighting tooth and nail to keep the former name (of which they allowed the TM to lapse) and now they are having difficulties in trade marking the new generic name. 

Edit: oh, by the way, this has nothing to do with Covid or Beasley so this thread has that going for it. 😃 

Trout, luv ya bud, but  WFT?  I read the article and not really sure why if this is just temporary and will have a permanent name hopefully by 2022, so they lose on some knock off merchandise, and get a few jokes on Family Guy, big deal.

I don’t know why they don’t just go with Washington Redtails.  It’s patriotic, real hero’s from WW2, and addresses breaking diversity barriers.  That’s really the story if the Tuskegee Airmen who broke serious barriers in the Army in our most important war for freedom.  I do not believe there is a professional American Sports team called the Redtails.

Trout, I know this title is a trademark topic, not another let’s name the team like we did last year, but two names have had real momentum amongst Washingtonians.  

Anyway, thanks for sharing the article.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Trout, luv ya bud, but  WFT?  I read the article and not really sure why if this is just temporary and will have a permanent name hopefully by 2022, so they lose on some knock off merchandise, and get a few jokes on Family Guy, big deal.

I don’t know why they don’t just go with Washington Redtails.  It’s patriotic, real hero’s from WW2, and addresses breaking diversity barriers.  That’s really the story if the Tuskegee Airmen who broke serious barriers in the Army in our most important war for freedom.  I do not believe there is a professional American Sports team called the Redtails.

Trout, I know this title is a trademark topic, not another let’s name the team like we did last year, but two names have had real momentum amongst Washingtonians.  

Yeah, no. Going from one ethnicity theme to another because public pressure demanded it, doesn’t seem logical. 

But I like the thought. How ‘bout The Marshals? Gives credence to police, D.C. and would be named after original owner George Preston Marshall.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

WFT is better than WTF! 😃 

53 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, no. Going from one ethnicity theme to another because public pressure demanded it, doesn’t seem logical. 

But I like the thought. How ‘bout The Marshals? Gives credence to police, D.C. and would be named after original owner George Preston Marshall.

I like it but there is logic built into that name. Does Snyder possess any logic??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I think the current name is dumb and I equally feel the same when I say it.  If I say the Bills are playing the Washington Football team, it sounds like I forgot who they are playing.  

Just call them the Founders, Generals, or something patriotic and move on already 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll say something I almost never do, but respectfully disagree.  The Tuskegee Airmen were one of the most heroic stories on WW2, and broke the barrier as you guys may know allowing African American men to be pilots which then sparked the development of the Air Force division post WW2.  Not the only reason, but it’s cited as one of many contributing factors.  This embodies heroism, courage, and progress.  Redskin is pretty obvious as a derogatory depiction of native Americans.  

I just read a story in Forbes of he is one of the grandsons of one of the Redtails.  He went on and on what pride of his country, his football team, and what a positive symbol of the progress our country has evolved to name the nations capital after those brave war hero’s.  

Besides, can you imagine how they could play it up with one of those vintage planes at the front of the stadium, doing a fly by before games with those Redtails planes.  It would be a marketing bonanza for a team that is just getting over a scandal on top of the public pressure to change the name.

Lastly, most of the articles I’ve read have stated in polling the two names with the most fan appeal in the Washington area are the Redtails, and the Red Wolves.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think the current name is dumb and I equally feel the same when I say it.  If I say the Bills are playing the Washington Football team, it sounds like I forgot who they are playing.  

Just call them the Founders, Generals, or something patriotic and move on already 

I hear you. I was not particularly fond of it when they switched but ut kind of grew on me. I also dig their vanilla helmets...a real throwback which I appreciate.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beasley should just...sorry wrong thread. Carry on. 

I really think Edmunds and Oliver....oh whoops not here either.

Edited by DJB
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Is that a challenge?

• Haha (+1) 2