Efe Obada “true sack score” ranked 9th in league

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Efe Obada “true sack score” ranked 9th in league

I never lost faith in our D last year, understanding that many of our most important players (Tre, Milano and Edmunds) were out or playing injured. That being said, the thought of this D once again becoming destructive is very exciting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterLifer said:

I never lost faith in our D last year, understanding that many of our most important players (Tre, Milano and Edmunds) were out or playing injured. That being said, the thought of this D once again becoming destructive is very exciting.

It was also a different year and defenses were affected a great deal more by the lack of preseason than offenses were..

In addition, the Bills made a bet on quicker, penetrating lineman and then the league changed holding rules which I think impacted our D line quite a bit. I think they've done a decent job course correcting to accommodate the changes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It was also a different year and defenses were affected a great deal more by the lack of preseason than offenses were..

In addition, the Bills made a bet on quicker, penetrating lineman and then the league changed holding rules which I think impacted our D line quite a bit. I think they've done a decent job course correcting to accommodate the changes.

I think defenses were also affected by lack of crowds. They really feed off of crowd noise and energy and that had to take some getting used to. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m very excited to see our Dline this year. I just predict a lot of juice. 

I feel the same way. Because of the ability to have normal OTAs and training camp, the return of some players, the addition of some players, and the maturation of other players (in terms of experience in the system and understanding of the game), I think this defense is going to surprise a lot of people - Particularly along the D-line.

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think defenses were also affected by lack of crowds. They really feed off of crowd noise and energy and that had to take some getting used to. 

I thought this was a huge factor all season.  I forgot I thought that until now, and have been hoping we're just magically much better.  Thanks for the reassurance/reminder of my own thoughts 😅

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It may allow Addison to play fewer reps, which could actually increase his productivity 

True but I see it more as a numbers game if he shows up really well in the summer.  If he makes to roster I see Addison as expendable.

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Obada

Rousseau

Basham

I can't see them keeping all 6 plus 4 DTs.  Then again maybe they do but it takes from another position group.

I'm seeing a total of 9 DL.

Odaba is 2nd in High quality sacks per snap to Aaron Donald 👀

I really hope we keep 6 DE's active on gameday and rotate them a ton (and maybe move some guys inside in pass-rushing situations). The only way we could do that is if we have versatile backups at other positions who can step in at multiple positions. If Ryan Bates can play anywhere on the O-line in a pinch, then I don't see why we would need 9 O-linemen active.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

True but I see it more as a numbers game if he shows up really well in the summer.  If he makes to roster I see Addison as expendable.

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Obada

Rousseau

Basham

I can't see them keeping all 6 plus 4 DTs.  Then again maybe they do but it takes from another position group.

Rousseau and Basham can line up inside too.  Might reduce need of 4 traditional D Tackles.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Hughes

Addison

Epenesa

Obada

Rousseau

Basham

I agree on the numbers point. Most of my life, the Bills carried a max of 4 Defensive Ends. In the McBeane years, they've seemed to carry 5. Never once have I seen 6 staying on the active roster.

But when it comes to Addison being released, I see another unprecedented issue. Brandon Beane has never told a veteran "we need you to take a pay cut if you want to stay" and then cut the guy anyways. Even with guys we didn't even use like Tyler Kroft. I think it's a bad look to the locker room and their "process" team building.

Beyond that, he doubled down in a press conference following the drafting of Rousseau and Basham stating Addison isn't going anywhere. That he's counting on his mentoring the Rookies and even discussed how he plans on using Addison in the rotation re: adjusted snap counts to maximize his impact this season.

So I don't think Addison is going anywhere. I see us cutting Obada or carrying 6 guys with us either taking from another position to carry 10 D-Lineman or one of those DE's will be playing both inside and outside ala Quinton Jefferson.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1