Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

1 minute ago, Governor said:

He doesn’t just want his individual freedom. He wants the freedom to kill others and not be held accountable. 

This is as ridiculous a statement as I have seen in this entire thread. Just flat out ridiculous, but such is the mentality these days. Again, if you believe the vax keeps you from getting or spreading Covid, and you have been vaccinated, then what does it matter if he's not? He's not here "killing" anyone. That's just dumb.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

****** works exactly that way. Beasley absolutely has the right to not get vaccinated and not follow NFL protocol. The NFL and team officials absolutely have the right to address his decisions in whatever way they feel is best for the Buffalo Bills and the league. Whatever you or I think about it is irrelevant. It is between him and his employer. He can make his decisions and he will have to deal with the consequences of those decisions. That's how ***** works.

Don’t attempt to talk sense to anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not that I pay attention to Twitter, but I'm not sure I agree with the left-leaning part. From what little I see, it goes both ways.

Other than that, you're right. If he's just blowing off steam this all means nothing. Reasonable to wonder if he's doing more than that, though.

Seems like you may need to educate yourself on the political bias of Twitter.  Not being cognizant of the leanings is a problem.  Look at the owner, or the fact checking, or the blocking.  It is a left leaning institution.

As for Beas, I think he is obviously frustrated.  I can see how he could feel the NFLPA let him down.  Maybe by sounding off he can get the NFLPA to review its stance and be more player friendly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is as ridiculous a statement as I have seen in this entire thread. Just flat out ridiculous, but such is the mentality these days. Again, if you believe the vax keeps you from getting or spreading Covid, and you have been vaccinated, then what does it matter if he's not? He's not here "killing" anyone. That's just dumb.  

This. 

The powers that be state people like, apparently many on our team, can’t even eat with their teammates.   Because an unvaccinated person eating lunch with a vaccinated person will do… what?

Even if they want the performative use of a mask to be around vaccinated people, for zero medical reasoning, fine… I’d just suck it up for my team…. but these league rules are straight up punitive and meant to send a message. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Just wanted to stop by and say I couldn’t agree more. Cole really let me down with this one. Just completely taking the best chance the Bills and their fans have had in so many years to do/experience something special and completely making it about himself. 

Like you said, you don’t want the shot, fine. But to do this? To add controversy, to completely tear a hole in the fabric of what’s been worked on and worked toward for so many years building a winning culture, and he singlehandedly creates a divide between players and fans? Why? It’s the absolute height of arrogance, not only to not get the shot but to take something special and making it your personal bumper sticker/soapbox moment. Totally disgusted. 

All I’m imagining is the Bills finally winning the super bowl, and players and fans are celebrating something we’ve all wanted for so long. Someone gets up to say we’re going to Disneyland and instead starts an anti vax rant. Awesome. Thanks Cole, it’s not like I haven’t waited over 30 years for this, go ahead make it about you. Cool. 

Hey bobby!  thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment on my post.  

cole's belief aside, i just don't like his actions.  we already see people in this thread trying to diminish what this could do to this team.  i guarantee that there are split opinions in the locker room concerning all of this, just like there are here on this board.  without a doubt he's upset and likely turned off a few of his teammates.  will it ruin the season? i doubt it, but it certainly isn't a good thing for the bills.   he's created a huge distraction because he wanted to throw an adult tantrum on social media.  what's more amazing is that people want to put a cape on him for it.

when all of this dies down, and i think it will, the only real lesson we've learned here is that beasly isn't smart/responsible enough to have a twitter account.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

With a vaccine, we were all told life could go back to normal.  Yet here we are, with a vaccine, and certain segments of society refuse to relinquish control.  

The assumption was that the vast majority would get vaccinated when it was available; at least 70% nationwide to create herd immunity. Yet most of the people who were against masks and lockdowns to reduce the spread of the virus are now the ones resisting vaccinations to reduce the spread of the virus. 🙄

Edited by PastaJoe
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, stevestojan said:

It doesn’t suck until it hits close. I understand that most people from WNY never leave, rarely travel, and see things from the “NYC is the reason my taxes are so high!” point of view. 

(Apologies to my fellow TBDers who I likely offended with that previous paragraph). 

I was born and raised in Buffalo (well, a small town just south of Buffalo) but have moved seven times since; six of them for work. 

Last August, I had to go to one of my employee’s funeral. He was 42. In 2019, he ran a marathon. I can say with ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CERTAINTY that his wife (who also works for me) would have done anything to get this “experimental drug” to him last June. He died from COVID. So, if anyone wants to count the numbers (Beasley included, that ***** weirdo) I’ll add one; my friend Jeff. 

My sob story aside, I have two questions: 

1) what the ***** happened to this country where people think there’s some crazy conspiracy to make us take a shot? And I ask that because there isn’t a country in the world who isn’t begging for our excess vaccines.  So, you tin-foil-hat-wearing idiots need to decide if this is a political issue or some international conspiracy to end the world. 

2) What stopped Polio? 

(mods, sorry for my rant. I’ll take my ban). 

I’m right there with you.  I’ve known several healthy people who died from COVID.  Devastating.  I know a few young, completely healthy people who got it and survived but still have terrible after-effects involving their immune and nervous systems (one of them now has some kind of rare kidney ailment resulting from it).  This is real, it happened, I’ve actually SEEN it.  It’s not some crap on Twitter.

And yet here we are, we’ve got folks who think it’s a made up conspiracy designed to control their bodies - never mind that Warp Speed was launched under their likely preferred candidate and, had he won, their views of a life-saving vaccine would likely be different.  Imagine that?  And never mind that many of the same folks in society and on this very board spouting the “everyone has a right to their opinion” and “you don’t control what I do with my body” mantras have an issue with other people refusing to stand while a certain song is played - THE VERY SAME PEOPLE!  

Saw my dentist yesterday for the first time since lockdown.  He got COVID, no issues.  His wife got it and almost died after 17 days in the hospital.  Likely got it from patients.  He told me a story of one patient who said that he wasn’t going to get the vaccine because “it’s a conspiracy - Dr. Faucci owns the company!”  My dentist asked this patient whether it would bother him if he (my dentist) had not gotten vaccinated and the patient said, “oh yes, absolutely, I wouldn’t have come here, too risky.”  That’s about where we are as a society right now.  As contagious as COVID is, idiocy seems to be spreading even more quickly.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Seems like you may need to educate yourself on the political bias of Twitter.  Not being cognizant of the leanings is a problem.  Look at the owner, or the fact checking, or the blocking.  It is a left leaning institution.

If you equate left leaning with facts, and fact checking of conspiracy theories and blocking posts that incite violence, then you’re correct. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

The assumption was that the vast majority would get vaccinated when it was available; at least 70% nationwide to create herd immunity. Yet most of the people who were against masks and lockdowns to reduce the spread of the virus are now the ones resisting vaccinations to reduce the spread of the virus. 🙄

Eh… not really.  Like most of this, the control stance has shifted over time.  From “15 days to slow the spread” to “actually, we need to reach 70% for herd immunity” …. well, science and medicine would tell you the combination of natural immunity and vaccination has us there already.  

We could simply go back to normal right now, but a certain segment of society refuses to allow it… or at least not without the needed compliance to authority.  

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’m sure this has been shared somewhere in the thread, but this is what Cole is referring to….  Seems pretty heavy handed, and most likely is intended to force, without forcing, players to get vaccinated.  

With a vaccine, we were all told life could go back to normal.  Yet here we are, with a vaccine, and certain segments of society refuse to relinquish control.  

Still hoping to have this question answered.. Are these protocols permanent?   2022 and beyond?  If not, this is all theater. 

For purely selfish reasons, I'd like for him to just take the damn vaccine and play ball.  With that said, I am 99% sure that if it weren't for these utterly draconian dictates/guidelines that he wouldn't be speaking out.  

Personally, I've seen enough evidence to determine that the vaccines are highly effective in stopping the spread of the virus and thwarting it's risks that it could impose on those that are most vulnerable.   However, there is plenty of vaccine availability to anyone who wants the vaccine and the only people who don't have access to it are children, who we know statistically speaking are at less risk of COVID than the common flu.  In other words, if you are worried about COVID, take the vaccine.  

What I'm hoping that happens here is that Beasley has now drawn a lot of attention to these proposed dictates/guidelines and that they revise/amend them to something that is more appropriate.  I know that the NFL and NFLPA are trying to lay down the gauntlet to get the players to take the vaccine and for some players it will induce them to take the vaccine because of the lifestyle changes that they would have to obey.   

But it's too much, some of them are illogical and frankly for the reasons I mentioned above they are more performative than substantive.  Hopefully, this will serve as a spearhead to continue dialogue between the NFLPA and NFL.  I would have to imagine there are a lot of NFL players that are backing Beasley and are now reaching out to the union.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

the difference between this year and last year is that last year the football players were basically following the same rules as the rest of the country. This year, it appears that most of the country is very close to being back to normal, while football players are still living under the same rules as last year. 

most of the country is back to normal because people are getting vaccinated

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I just think it’s funny/odd that the people who are the most “my body, my choice” ie being anti mask-anti vax. Seem to be the most vocal and least respectful to the people making choices for their own body. 

Im not anti-mask.  I don’t think they do much, but I wore them for the longest time simply to make other feel comfortable.  I still wear them anytime I’m in a setting where I should. 

I am not getting the vax, but I think it’s awesome that it’s so readily available for people who need or want it.  

None of these decisions are equivalent to the straw man of directly ending an innocent life.  

Edited by SCBills

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Eh… not really.  Like most of this, the control stance has shifted over time.  From “15 days to slow the spread” to “actually, we need to reach 70% for herd immunity” …. well, science and medicine would tell you the combination of natural immunity and vaccination has us there already.  

We could simply go back to normal right now, but a certain segment of society refuses to allow it… or at least not without the needed compliance to authority.  

There is no proof of natural immunity among the unvaccinated, and in fact those are the vast majority of new Covid cases. And the new Delta variant is more transmissible than previous strains. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wwltv.com/amp/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/almost-all-covid-cases-now-occurring-in-those-not-vaccinated-studies-show/289-50b9238f-8a62-4b9c-a031-5e91de7daaac

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

If we achieve herd immunity (70%-90% of the population according to the CDC), then I believe it won’t matter much, if at all.  But we aren’t close to that, so the risk lies in having too many unvaccinated individuals spreading to each other until we do achieve that herd immunity threshold.

Cole is right that if he is strictly around immunized individuals, then the risk of him contracting and spreading is low, and it shouldn’t matter much. But, given the current immunization rates, especially among his teammates in the building, the risk of spread among those non-immunized individuals remains and the safety protocols need to be adhered to. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Magox said:

What I'm hoping that happens here is that Beasley has now drawn a lot of attention to these proposed dictates/guidelines and that they revise/amend them to something that is more appropriate.  I know that the NFL and NFLPA are trying to lay down the gauntlet to get the players to take the vaccine and for some players it will induce them to take the vaccine because of the lifestyle changes that they would have to obey.   

I see little wrong with daily testing and “isolation” for those selfish enough to not care about who they may infect 

there is no I in team  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

****** works exactly that way. Beasley absolutely has the right to not get vaccinated and not follow NFL protocol. The NFL and team officials absolutely have the right to address his decisions in whatever way they feel is best for the Buffalo Bills and the league. Whatever you or I think about it is irrelevant. It is between him and his employer. He can make his decisions and he will have to deal with the consequences of those decisions. That's how ***** works.

I know there was a time when I would have agonized about a guy like Cole Beasley not being available for the Bills, especially as our team is truly in the mix.  At this point, I’m with you.  I recall watching him play for Dallas and thinking “It would be great to have a guy like that on the Bills”.  The guy is a warrior, funny as hell, and it would seem a great teammate until this issue came up.  Hell, I’d think he’s probably got supporters in the locker room now, silent or not. 

Beane/McDermott have to see beyond the edge of their desk and be responsible for the enterprise—how it looks, how it functions, and the well-being of every person in the building.  With that responsibility comes headaches like this. 

CB is responsible to the edge of his desk and his team to a point, but ultimately, for himself. 

What will be, will be. 

• Like (+1) 1