Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

That's not how he got it and that is a crazy low rate lol. 148M vaccinated in the US and that few have that side effect, that actually makes me feel better about it. However, Sweeney got his from COVID and not the vaccine. 

So, to be clear. If you got it from COVID and you are a male under 30, it’s bad.

But if you got it from the vaccine and you are a male under 30, no big deal?

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Not you personally...anyone.  

And I'm saying I don't understand how there could be any division at all over this.

Take the Vax if you want.  It is not mandatory for everyone to live or work as they choose.  

I'm all for continuing "Covid and Vaccine awareness."  Compulsory Vax, no.  

And for the record I'm "fully vaccinated."

The issue here is not compulsory vax, this really should be clear by now.  The vaccine is not mandatory for players.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I can see that, from your POV.

My point is that he's very publicly creating a horrid dilemma for his coaches and GMs, by announcing that he will neither be vaccinated nor follow the NFL/NFLPA protocols for non-vaccinated players.  He's kind of throwing his team's NFLPA reps (and the NFLPA in general) under the bus as collateral damage, and of course, potentially putting other non-vaccinated teammates at risk if one believes that the protocols were a best-practice to protect everyone from contagious disease.

I don't think it's OK to choose a path of personal freedom that carries so much collateral damage, but YMMV.

Yep.  Plus, his job isn’t exactly scraping by on $15/hour to put bread on the table for his family.  He’s getting paid millions and millions of dollars per year to play a game.

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

So, to be clear. If you got it from COVID and you are a male under 30, it’s bad.

But if you got it from the vaccine and you are a male under 30, no big deal?

No, it's quite bad in either case.

However, you're at minimum, from readily available data, at least 50x more likely to contract cardiomyopathy from natural covid infection if you're a healthy young athletic stud, than from the vaccine if youre under 30.  If you're interested, I'll PM you my calculations and you can check them then we can discuss; we won't be discussing in here.

• Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Aaron here calling for universal vaccination.  We've come a long way from flatten the curve.  Can't imagine why no one trusts anything.  Rightly so.  

This is not calling for "universal vaccination". 

It's pointing out, correctly, that the "personal choice" of a player not to be vaccinated impacts other players and their families/vulnerable people they come in contact with.

Difference.

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I wonder what that Isaiah McKenzie fellow is doing these days

Running to the vaccine clinic?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is not calling for "universal vaccination". 

It's pointing out, correctly, that the "personal choice" of a player not to be vaccinated impacts other players and their families/vulnerable people they come in contact with.

Difference.

Everyone that is concerned is vaccinated

The goal was to get those at risk and everyone else access to it.  

We did.  We won.  

Time to move on.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

All their choice yes.  

So you're advocating forced universal vaccination, correct?

No.  I'm pointing out the faulty assumptions of your previous post.

I suggest you refrain from imputing "advocating for forced vaccination" where it does not exist, going forward; it looks like an attempt at "stirring the pot" or trolling from here.

Pointing out that consequences of not being vaccinated extend to other people is not the same thing.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"We respect each player's decision on the vaccination is their own, and while we continue to educate our players and hope they decide to get the vaccine, we know we have a number of players who will not, and are totally fine with that as they are still on the team. However, we also made a decision as a team to not speak out about it or let it become a distraction, and Cole was unable to follow that. Nor would he agree to follow the protocols agreed to by the NFL and NFLPA. We provided him plenty of ways and opportunities to contact his union reps and work with the NFLPA, but he was unwilling to do so. So we made the decision to move on since we are trying to stay unified as a team, and move forward into a re-opened 2021."

-Brandon Beane

Boom, cut.

But if he's willing to retire over it all, than problem solved.

Exactly. He could shut up about it and be fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how idiotic and uninformed. I don't agree with him, but he has a right to that opinion 100%. But he's got to be an obnoxious little MTG about it, and cause a distraction on a team that is trying to win the Superbowl. He's being very selfish. 

Don't cut him. Trade him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I don't have the time to read whole thread - can somebody please tell me if it is clear that he actually intends to break some specific NFL covid rules, and if so, which?

I read his statements three times and I have no idea.

Yes, it's clear.

I’m cool with him taking a stand. I don’t have a side I’m not for or against the vaccine. But I do think it’s cool when people are willing to do what they think is right and are willing to accept consequences to make their stand. Within reason. If he doesn’t agree and can make that choice to not go to work or get removed from the team I can’t fully hate on him. Business will keep it moving with or without him. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

That would cover whoever the heck you caught it from

Why do we care?  Why did the NFLPA repeat last years protocols that were crafted in May of 2020 for people that choose not to get the vaccine 

I'm confused, are you saying that you believe Cole Beasely signing a waiver physically prevents Allen catching it from Beasely or that Cole Beasely signing a waiver means Josh Allen is also subject to Beasely's waiver? 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Everyone that is concerned is vaccinated

The goal was to get those at risk and everyone else access to it.  

We did.  We won.  

Time to move on.

What would have to be true for this to be correct?

1) the vaccine would have to be completely effective, with no breakthrough infections, instead of perhaps 85% effective against Delta variant

2) all at risk people would have to be able to be vaccinated - some can not, for health reasons

3) the vaccine would have to "take" and be effective in all at risk people

4) even when players are not at risk and will eventually recover, they will not be available if they contract covid or (if unvaccinated) if they are a close contact

The NFL and NFLPA protocols appear to be an attempt to recognize that 1-3 are not true - vaccinated players are still at (lower, but some) risk from unvaccinated players and staff; at-risk vaccinated players may unknown to them, have not had a proper immune response to the vaccine

Therefore the NFL/NFLPA protocols do not say "we won, time to move on"

Now.  The NFLPA could argue that they don't GAF if they catch covid because they think it's not a particular risk to healthy young athletic studs.  They could argue that players should be allowed to play unless they are actually symptomatic.

That would hang a different set of players - at-risk players, who are obese or have diabetes, or who are in close contact with people at-risk - out to dry.

But that's not what the NFLPA has argued or lobbied for, to date.  Presumably they have some input from their membership.

4 minutes ago, todd said:

Exactly. He could shut up about it and be fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how idiotic and uninformed. I don't agree with him, but he has a right to that opinion 100%. But he's got to be an obnoxious little MTG about it, and cause a distraction on a team that is trying to win the Superbowl. He's being very selfish. 

Don't cut him. Trade him. 

What means MTG?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I'm confused, are you saying that you believe Cole Beasely signing a waiver physically prevents Allen catching it from Beasely or that Cole Beasely signing a waiver means Josh Allen is also subject to Beasely's waiver? 

I have to keep remembering I'm often talking to people that think we are fully Eradicating Covid or that we can't collectively let anyone get sick.  

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1