Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

9 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

That's all I see...a bunch of Joe Sofa Spuds!!!!

There are some people here who have serious scientific chops.  I would probably be considered one of them by most.  I think it's pretty clear who the others are.  And if you can't tell, well, that kind of highlights the first problem with "do your own research": deciding what sources and data are credible.

• Like (+1) 5

14 hours ago, cantankerous said:

Healthy people don’t need vaccinated from a virus that doesn’t really make them sick. These are professional athletes in great physical condition. They don’t need the vaccine. You can still acquire and spread the virus even if vaccinated. 🙄All of these restrictions make no sense. Anyone with common sense knows that. 

A healthy Tommy Sweeney got Myocarditis as a complication of COVID and couldn't even exercise for months.  It is not just about your own health, it is about the health of those you come in contact with.  A widespread infection rate increases the likelihood of new and nastier variants developing, like t he Delta variant from India.  And getting vaccinated reduces to almost zero the chances of you spreading the virus to others.  I'll refrain from comments about common sense, but you are wrong in virtually every point you attempted to make. 

Here's a link to check out on vaccinated people spreading the COVID virus.  Spoiler alert:  They don't.

Do people vaccinated against COVID shed coronavirus to others? | Miami Herald

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's great to ask for proof and challenge claims, but if you don't have the background to assess whether or not something is actually a real issue (like the chap on here claiming that the vaccines were never tested in animals, which is total bull oney to people who understand the process of getting a clinical trial approved not to mention who know how to find the published preclinical studies), you can spend a lot of low-quality driving time spinning your wheels in the mud without really getting to "proof" and "challenge" in a meaningful way.  You can come up with a meaningful assessment that shows it, but the time and effort you need to is perhaps way greater than you think.

I think it's also worth pointing out that science is falsifiable (particularly the hard sciences but also the social ones).  Scientists and experts are constantly challenging the claims of others in their fields.  The entire peer-review process and the scientific method is centered around that.  Accountability is built into the system itself. 

In fact, scientists love being wrong when new information becomes available that invalidates something prior, because it means they have expanded our knowledge about the universe.  

That's another reason why I have so much faith in the expertise of others.  A true expert is never satisfied with the status quo and always pushing the limits of what we know.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Didnt read thru all.. JMHO,It is still a free country , although, not sure of how long, Beasley is within his Constitutional rights to decline the Vax. Move on.. 

I'll give you the Cliff Notes:

In this thread (so far):

No one has argued that it's not still a free country.

No one has argued that Beasley has no right to decline any vaccine.

But here's one for you: in this free country (outside of New Hampshire), are you within your constitutional rights to refuse to wear a seatbelt without consequence?  

1 minute ago, Capco said:

I think it's also worth pointing out that science is falsifiable (particularly the hard sciences but also the social ones).  Scientists and experts are constantly challenging the claims of others in their fields.  The entire peer-review process and the scientific method is centered around that.  Accountability is built into the system itself. 

In fact, scientists love being wrong when new information becomes available that invalidates something prior, because it means they have expanded our knowledge about the universe.  

That's another reason why I have so much faith in the expertise of others.  A true expert is never satisfied with the status quo and always pushing the limits of what we know.  

Thank you.  Yes.

image.thumb.png.48068d9a2ea4a38e31e1a27b170b2635.png

It's a question I ask frequently: "What evidence would you accept to change your mind on this?" 

Because if the answer is "None, really", then it's not science.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Capco said:

Questioning previous conclusions and doing new research is different from just throwing out the available science because you don't like it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Capco said:

Thank you as well for writing this.  Again over 40 years in research, and I sit on an FDA advisory panel (not Covid related).  People criticize response to Covid, Fauci, etc.  because they have no idea of what science entails.  We are trained as scientists to continually experiment and analyze data as new results come in.  As new data is obtained, theories change.  That is precisely how science is supposed to work.  

Scientists and clinicians dedicate their lives to improving the health of society.  To that end, we rigorously evaluate each other’s work.  I review dozens of papers a year for publication and reject the majority because of weaknesses in study design.  The FDA panel I sit on does exhaustive reviews of new products and devices to ensure they do what they say and won’t introduce harm.  

Those who are against vaccines and other preventive measures fall back on unwarranted criticisms.  It gets ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Process said:

Saying you aren't getting the vaccine because of potential blood clots or heart issues is basically saying they aren't getting the vaccine and have no valid reason or idea why.

This isn’t true.  What if you have a recent infection and are young.

My wife was just in to get her birth control prescription updated.

Her Dr. said she didn’t see any need for her to get the vaccine bc she is young, healthy, and was infected in Dec.

The idea that there is no nuance here shows how much tunnel vision many many ppl (on the left) have about the freedom of choice that exists here.

At this point in time those that want the vaccine have it.  Those that don’t don’t - for now let’s get back to normal and then let’s sit back and wait for the next thing the CCP has to offer the world.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Damn.. here i thought this was  a Board about The Bills , and the daily comings and goings .. not a self -righteous platform for blowhards .. ok go ahead suspend me.. 

Then blame Beasley. And not everyone trying to educate you is a blowhard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, KennyDavisEyes said:

Her Dr. said she didn’t see any need for her to get the vaccine bc she is young, healthy, and was infected in Dec.

The idea that there is no nuance here shows how much tunnel vision many many ppl (on the left) have about the freedom of choice that exists here.

At this point in time those that want the vaccine have it.  Those that don’t don’t - for now let’s get back to normal and then let’s sit back and wait for the next thing the CCP has to offer the world.

If she has been infected that is one thing.  Data is still being obtained on how long immunity lasts in those that had contracted the virus.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KennyDavisEyes said:

Yep.  Let’s get back to normal.  Best way to do that is by vaccinations.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Process said:

Saying you aren't getting the vaccine because of potential blood clots or heart issues is basically saying they aren't getting the vaccine and have no valid reason or idea why.

17 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not going to the car wash because of shark attacks.

I really can't quite agree with this.

There's been a lot of recent airplay in the media and on social media about blood clots and heart issues after vaccination.

The problem is it's covered in a sensational alarmist way, and fails to put the information in context - How does the frequency of these side effects (in a relevant population) compare to frequency of side effects from getting the covid-19 virus?

And the data coming in is consistently that the side effects are less common from the vaccine than from the disease including in people <30 or young athletes.

I think some people believe they are making a rational and logical decision based upon facts, but are working from an incomplete or one-sided data set.

• Like (+1) 1