Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

I also see where people getting vaccinated are still getting Covid. Three people I work with got the vax and still got Covid.

The point you seem to be missing is that the clinical data and your personal experience described here do not contradict each other. The clinical data doesn't say everyone who gets the vaccine will remain safe from contracting covid. It says that a very high percentage of patients that receive one of the 3 major covid vaccines will be immune from contracting the virus, or at least a severe case of the virus, about 2 weeks after being fully vaccinated. I don't know how else to explain this to you. It is one thing to say that you have personally made the choice not to receive the vaccine; it is another to say the vaccine is not at all effective in preventing the spread of covid. For the 2nd claim you need to provide some kind of material evidence. The burden of proof has already been met by scientists that say the vaccine is effective.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

I have seen people I know who have gotten the vax get sick as a dog, some for weeks on end. I've seen the news reports about perfectly healthy kids ending up with heart issues or blood clots after getting the shot. I have also been in close contact with people who've had Covid, while they've had it, and didn't get it. Most of the people I've known to get it have recovered from it. There have only been a couple who passed and they also had other serious health issues. I also see where people getting vaccinated are still getting Covid. Three people I work with got the vax and still got Covid. Since that's the case I don't see where we need it at all, having been healthy through this whole situation, so I won't take that chance. 

Then be honorable and continue to practice and enter society with restrictions.  

You could be a "Typhoid Mary"... How would you know?

• Vomit 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I wonder if the league reached out to Beane after Beasley's twitter rant.  They don't want another Kaepernick type situation which could happen if the Bills cut him and nobody else signs him.  He'd have a case for collusion and the NFL doesn't want to shell out more money on a settlement like they did in Kaepernick's case.

There is zero reason to cut him. He indicated that he will retire unless things change.

Beasley is irresponsible at best with a deadly danger for his family and friends. Badly ill informed about vaccinations and the medical risks of COVID-19.  NOE he is just actin like a total JERK.  He is so so self-centered and uncaring. He is a cancer in the locker room too. FIRE him!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

I have seen people I know who have gotten the vax get sick as a dog, some for weeks on end. I've seen the news reports about perfectly healthy kids ending up with heart issues or blood clots after getting the shot. I have also been in close contact with people who've had Covid, while they've had it, and didn't get it. Most of the people I've known to get it have recovered from it. There have only been a couple who passed and they also had other serious health issues. I also see where people getting vaccinated are still getting Covid. Three people I work with got the vax and still got Covid. Since that's the case I don't see where we need it at all, having been healthy through this whole situation, so I won't take that chance. 

I just wonder why people you know get sick as a dog for weeks when it’s pretty much unheard of.  If you’re sick for that long, I would surely think they would follow up with a doctor.  What did they say the doctor said?  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Beasley is within his Constitutional rights to decline the Vax. Move on.. 

There is currently no state-mandated compulsory vaccination for COVID, but if there were then he, nor anyone else, has any Constitutional right to refuse absent a genuine medical reason to do so.  American jurisprudence on this topic is over 100 years old and fairly settled. 

Individual liberty is not absolute and is subject to the police power of the state.  Per Justice Harlan:  

"[I]n every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand"

and...

"Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

and finally...

"[In] extreme cases [for certain individuals] in a particular condition of . . . health, [the requirement of vaccination would be] cruel and inhuman[e], [in which case, courts would be empowered to interfere in order to] prevent wrong and oppression."

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

That is incorrect assumption on your part.  I ain't no intolerant liberal by any definition.  But what I do find hard to tolerate is willful ignorance and gullibility. 

This is incorrect reading comprehension on your part. I said “largely” not “exclusively”. I too am no intolerant liberal, but I am critical of Cole so I don’t see your point. 

32 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

That could be because the information may not be trustworthy or is at minimum at least challengeable.  Sometimes, our institutions fail us - wouldn't be the 1st time and won't be the last.  As citizens in a free society, we have the right (really, a duty) to demand proof and to challenge claims.  Do your own research.

Here's my thing with this.  Maybe it will make sense to you, maybe it doesn't.

Expertise matters!  It really does.

I'm an amateur football fan.  I've probably put more time and effort than I want to admit into understanding football: educating myself about different offensive and defensive formations, watching film, watching film breakdowns, reading about football.  Hundreds of hours.

But the harsh bottom line is, it doesn't matter how much research I do, I will never be on the same level of football understanding and football expertise as someone who has devoted years and years of their life to football - who has played it since Peewee, who has literally spent years doing the same stuff I've spent tens or even hundreds of hours doing.   I will never have the level of football understanding as an expert, a Jordan Poyer, a Josh Allen, a Cole Beasley, a Brian Daboll, an Orlando Pace.  I don't have their ability to quickly sift the gold from the dross when I look at an overwhelming pile of options for a defensive scheme against a given route combination.  I can be "taken in" or fooled by something I read that looks credible maybe but isn't really solid.  I have to work extra-hard to see stuff that a trained coach can spot instantly.

By the same token, people who lack a background of years studying science and carrying out research and assessing research study design and data are simply not going to be on the same footing as a trained scientist when it comes to evaluating scientific and medical data.  It's too easy to be taken in by the latest guy in a Youtube video without being instantly slammed in the face by the fallacies, because you don't have the background to twinge your bull#### detector - too easy to get lost in the weeds of recency bias from the media at "oh noes the vaccine side effects!" without remembering to ask "wait, how does this compare to the disease side effects for people my age?"

It's great to ask for proof and challenge claims, but if you don't have the background to assess whether or not something is actually a real issue (like the chap on here claiming that the vaccines were never tested in animals, which is total bull oney to people who understand the process of getting a clinical trial approved not to mention who know how to find the published preclinical studies), you can spend a lot of low-quality driving time spinning your wheels in the mud without really getting to "proof" and "challenge" in a meaningful way.  You can come up with a meaningful assessment that shows it, but the time and effort you need to is perhaps way greater than you think.

It's sort of the equivalent of Joe Sofa Spud on here opining that Player X is "worthless" or "sucks".  Well he's still on a professional football team coached by professional football coaches, maybe they know something you don't. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, KennyDavisEyes said:

I appreciate your thoughtfulness

What about folks w antibodies?  Many 20 & 30 somethings have already had the disease and have recovered.

Perhaps Cole & other Buffalo Bills got infected after the season.

Getting COVID may give you some protection against the  Delta variant, but percentages are not available on the internet and it may not have been studied.  We know the vaccines are effective against the Delta variant. especially the two shot vaccines (if you get both shots).  Persons with two shots of the Pfizer vaccine are 88% protected.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Capco said:

There is currently no state-mandated compulsory vaccination for COVID, but if there were then he, nor anyone else, has any Constitutional right to refuse absent a genuine medical reason to do so.  American jurisprudence on this topic is over 100 years old and fairly settled. 

Individual liberty is not absolute and is subject to the police power of the state.  Per Justice Harlan:  

"[I]n every well ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand"

and...

"Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own [liberty], whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

and finally...

"[In] extreme cases [for certain individuals] in a particular condition of . . . health, [the requirement of vaccination would be] cruel and inhuman[e], [in which case, courts would be empowered to interfere in order to] prevent wrong and oppression."

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905).

Your point?? 

• Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's my thing with this.  Maybe it will make sense to you, maybe it doesn't.

Expertise matters!  It really does.

I'm an amateur football fan.  I've probably put more time and effort than I want to admit into understanding football: educating myself about different offensive and defensive formations, watching film, watching film breakdowns, reading about football.  Hundreds of hours.

But the harsh bottom line is, it doesn't matter how much research I do, I will never be on the same level of football understanding and football expertise as someone who has devoted years and years of their life to football - who has played it since Peewee, who has literally spent years doing the same stuff I've spent tens or even hundreds of hours doing.   I will never have the level of football understanding as an expert, a Jordan Poyer, a Josh Allen, a Cole Beasley, a Brian Daboll, an Orlando Pace.  I don't have their ability to quickly sift the gold from the dross when I look at an overwhelming pile of opinions about the merits of a defensive formation or a route combination.  I can be "taken in" or fooled by something that looks credible maybe but isn't really solid.  I have to work extra-hard to see stuff that a trained coach can spot instantly.

By the same token, people who lack a background of years studying science and carrying out research and assessing research study design and data are not going to be on the same footing as a trained scientist when it comes to evaluating scientific and medical data.  It's too easy to be taken in by the latest guy in a Youtube video without being able to pick out the fallacies because you don't have the background to twinge your bull#### detector - or to get lost in the weeds of recency bias at "oh noes the vaccine side effects!" without remembering to ask "how does this compare to the disease side effects?"

It's great to ask for proof and challenge claims, but if you don't have the background to assess whether or not something is actually a real issue (like the chap on here claiming that the vaccines were never tested in animals, which is total bull oney to people who understand the process of getting a clinical trial approved not to mention who know how to find the published preclinical studies), you can spend a lot of low-quality driving time spinning your wheels in the mud without really getting to "proof" and "challenge" in a meaningful way.  You can come up with a meaningful assessment that shows it, but the time and effort you need to is perhaps way greater than you think.

It's sort of the equivalent of Joe Sofa Spud on here opining that Player X is "worthless" or "sucks".  Well he's still on a professional football team coached by professional football coaches, maybe they know something you don't. 

Thank you for writing this.  I have been involved in both clinical and basic science research for over 40 years.  The loss of 600k people plus the unknown number of individuals with long term complications from Covid are a tragedy.  And another is how this pandemic has exposed the ignorance of our society to basic concepts of science.  Some of this is simply because they have not had the education, but what is truly frightening is the willful ignorance of people to just discount things like facts and data.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

57 pages?????

Really?????

Must be a bunch of independently wealthy MoFos on this here site, got nothin better to do😜

meh, hasn't even reached Clowney 3rd thread volume yet..,..

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Your point?? 

My point is that Beasley does not have a Constitutional right to decline a state-mandated compulsory vaccination in lieu of a medical reason.  

I figured it was pretty clear.

27 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Didnt read thru all.. JMHO,It is still a free country , although, not sure of how long, Beasley is within his Constitutional rights to decline the Vax. Move on.. 

There is no State or local mandate at present to take a Covid-19 vaccine, nor is his employer requiring it.  Therefore, this isn't a Constitutional issue at present.

Second, if there were a State or local mandate, the 10th amendment to the constitution has been held to apply:

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”  The constitution does not generally delegate public health authority to the Federal gov't, therefore it is held to lie with State and local governments.

Third, the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of State and local vaccine requirements multiple times.  This highlights some key cases.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/where-does-the-governments-right-to-require-vaccinations-come-from/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Didnt read thru all.. JMHO,It is still a free country , although, not sure of how long, Beasley is within his Constitutional rights to decline the Vax. Move on.. 

How much did you read of the thread? Any?

Beasley has the right to decline the vaccination and he has the right to experience the consequences from his employer for doing so. The ire with Beasley is that he seems to want to exercise his right, but get upset/outraged if others exercise their rights in response to his right.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I actually don't believe it helps or protects, but on the contrary I don't want to take the chance of self inflicted harm that could come from it. Either be that to me or at my hands to my children. The question is posed for those who believes it does make them "safe" from the effects. I'd rather take my chances with me and my children having remained healthy through this entire ordeal. 

You don't believe it protects?  Hmmmm

1 hour ago, H2o said:

We've had every other vaccine. The ones that have been around with years of data behind them. I'm not completely "anti-vax" as people try to label. But we never get flu shots and we're not getting this. The possible heart issues, the possible blood clots, the sickness you get from it, as well as other things I have seen. We're healthy and have been through all of this. The shot is unnecessary to me/us. Not doing it. 

It's literally 1 in a million.

You should never leave your house if you won't even accept those odds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1