Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Again, if you believe the vax keeps you from getting or spreading Covid, and you have been vaccinated, then what does it matter if he's not?

See there's this weird double talk thing going on with the anti-vax crowd. On one side it's "the covid vaccine isn't 100% preventive so it's pointless to get;" on the other side it's "if you trust the vaccine why do you care if I'm vaccinated or not?" The two points answer each other. I care if you get the vaccine because some people that get the vaccine will still be susceptible to getting covid, and the more people that are vaccinated the less likely it is that the virus will continue to spread.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Getting the vaccine is his choice and either way, still allows him to be employed by the Bills.  Not following unvaccinated protocol as a requirement of his employer is also his choice...as in do as your employer says, or you are fired. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Yeah, he's just a selfish punk - playing on a broken leg down the final stretch of the season and laying it all out for his teammates - how incredibly selfish of him.

There's this thing called The Bill of Rights - maybe some of you need to re-read it.

Read Pennstate's post two spots above yours.

Bills of Rights? Sheesh.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Little Dog said:

The only hammer and sickle is take the the shot or lose your job 

That's pretty much the exact opposite of communism, but okay.

15 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Yeah, he's just a selfish punk - playing on a broken leg down the final stretch of the season and laying it all out for his teammates - how incredibly selfish of him.

There's this thing called The Bill of Rights - maybe some of you need to re-read it.

Can you clarify which part of the Bill of Rights applies here?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

My guess is there is a lot less hand-wringing about this going on at 1 Bills Dr than on this board...

My hope is that they will not be put into any tough situations.

My concern (I will state this again) is IF Cole does not follow the NFL/NFLPA agreed upon protocols what will be the result?

Roger Goodell is not going to be the enforcer.  That is going to be "delegated" to the individual teams.

Beane, McDermott and the coaches will have to handle any "violations".

IF fines and other punishments are handed out it will create tensions on the team in the minds of some players agreeing with Cole.

IF they look the other way they lose authority and the respect of other players who may not of got the vaccine but did it for the team.

The media will add it's IF's and a lot of other situations could arise.

I once again HOPE none of this will happen but I can see consequences in Cole's actions.

I don't envy Bills Management for what they might face.

29 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

The Bill of Rights 😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

So CP3 got vaccinated and now will miss on a chance to change his legacy because he has Corona.     Woof. 

Kinda makes you understand why some folks like Cole aren’t interested in getting it. 

You do understand that logically, that doesn't follow?

Try applying that logic to another situation. 

Let's say seatbelts. 

"So TeddyKGB wore his seatbelt and was injured in an automobile accident.  Kind of makes you understand why some folks aren't interested in wearing them"

Whatchoo think of that logic?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

So CP3 got vaccinated and now will miss on a chance to change his legacy because he has Corona.     Woof. 

Kinda makes you understand why some folks like Cole aren’t interested in getting it. 

The Vaccine does NOT prevent you from getting the virus.  It mitigates the damage on it.  You can NOT eradicate a virus.  Influenza killed like 50 million people...we still have the flu, just a very small percentage of people still die from it compared to before we had vaccine and herd immunity to it.  

I dont understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just imagine a playoff game where we don’t have Allen or Diggs because they tested positive.

There would be a lot of suicide watch on TSW lol

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey Capco,

I can't think of anything more personal than what you allow someone else to put into your body.

Cole Beasley should have no say in what you choose to put in your body and you should have a say in what Cole puts in his.  Ultimately, that how I see it.

I think one of the biggest disconnects we are seeing with regards to this pandemic is the act of boiling down everyone to an individual and comparing one individual to another.

But that's not the correct framework.  Instead, the balancing act is between the individual and the group, and the group will always outweigh the individual when it comes to public health concerns like vaccination.  

This isn't the case of one person requesting another to take a vaccine.  This is a case of society as a whole requesting its individual members to step up to the plate for the betterment of society itself.  

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree with you that vaccinations are a public health issue, but I don't believe that a public health concern trumps your right as an individual to say what happens to your body. 

The state has the power to compel vaccination.  Public health concerns absolutely trump individual rights in cases like these.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

My hope is that they will not be put into any tough situations.

My concern (I will state this again) is IF Cole does not follow the NFL/NFLPA agreed upon protocols what will be the result?

Roger Goodell is not going to be the enforcer.  That is going to be "delegated" to the individual teams.

Beane, McDermott and the coaches will have to handle any "violations".

IF fines and other punishments are handed out it will create tensions on the team in the minds of some players agreeing with Cole.

IF they look the other way they lose authority and the respect of other players who may not of got the vaccine but did it for the team.

The media will add it's IF's and a lot of other situations could arise.

I once again HOPE none of this will happen but I can see consequences in Cole's actions.

I don't envy Bills Management for what they might face.

Not just that, but if there's a substantial % of unvaccinated players (I would bet on it), if the Bills coaches and FO look the other way for one unvaccinated player who is a veteran and has the respect of the team, why wouldn't other players follow suit and do likewise?

That could potentially lead to a covid-19 outbreak on the team, losing availability of a bunch of key players for key games, and potentially fines and punishment of the Bills by the NFL.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, cantankerous said:

Comparing CB to Westboro Church? Lol @ you. What a dolt. I can’t believe some people. 

Literally said in the post that I am not comparing the two rather just stating that standing by bad principles doesn’t add any value to them. Do people even read the posts they comment on?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Literally said in the post that I am not comparing the two rather just stating that standing by bad principles doesn’t add any value to them. Do people even read the posts they comment on?

Apparently Cantankerous is known for Scrooge McDuck diving into conversations without reading anything.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Sure! 

#1: its been well documented that in our state (NY), the Supreme Leader (the governor) defied all common sense and reason by ordering nursing homes to take in patients that were tested and confirmed positive for Covid-19. I bring this up because its an example of a case in which 99.9% of objective people would look at this and say "that's dumb". Similarly to the current state of affairs in which you have a governing body making idiotic decrees that defy all common sense with respect to a group of people whos job is to smash themselves up

#2. "

Per the memo, any player who is not fully vaccinated will continue to be subject to:

Daily testing, mask wearing (including in the team facility) and physical distancing

A quarantine if he has a high-risk exposure to someone with COVID-19

Significant restrictions when traveling, including required isolation in the team hotel and relegation to a separate team plane" .

Am I misinterpreting what "required isolation in the team hotel" means?

#1 I'm still not following your argument here.  I agree: the NYS DPH (or DOH, whatevs) decision to send covid-19 positive patients back to nursing homes regardless of the home's isolation and infection control abilities was a Bad Decision, and it cost lives.

Why does a bad decision made by a government group, have any bearing on the policies of a different group (NFL medical advisors, NFL/NFLPA committee that worked this problem)?

The NFL did a GREAT job of containing Covid infections in the NFL last year, changing protocols during the season in reaction to actual observed patterns of spread and to community infections.  With regard to Covid-19, the NFL was one of the safest places to be.  That seems to me to argue that unlike the NYS decision on the nursing homes, the NFL medical advisors know WTF they are doing.

In a nutshell: why does one organization's bad decision logically make a different organization's protocols "idiotic", in the face of demonstrated competence?  That seems to me like the "non sequitor", "does not follow".

(We're not doing "Supreme Leader" and make this political here - free pass because I asked you to explain but don't push it, please.)

#2 your statement was "lock themselves in their room alone".  The actual restriction seems to be:

image.png.66fdf28f3b32ced01af25729ac798726.png

So the player is free to leave his room and interact with others in the team traveling party, looks like to me.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

why can't a player fight for what they believe to be better or more appropriate protocols?

IMO, they can and should.  I'm not persuaded starting a twitter controversy and calling the NFLPA a "joke" is a very effective means to this end; it seems to me more like emotional venting, which in many people turns out to be a substitute for actually trying to do something effective.

But I'd actually be quite happy if you could explain to me some examples of effecting change via twitter controversy that show why I'm mistaken.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Isn't social media awesome. 

The biggest thing is he should have just done this all privately. Reach out to the nflpa to air his grievances.  If you don’t get the vaccine, ok, no need to tweet about it. He says last year he wasn’t going to do Twitter anymore after cowboys fans were all over him for signing here. He needs to take his own advice. It’s a toxic environment for these types of topics. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not just that, but if there's a substantial % of unvaccinated players (I would bet on it), if the Bills coaches and FO look the other way for one unvaccinated player who is a veteran and has the respect of the team, why wouldn't other players follow suit and do likewise?

That could potentially lead to a covid-19 outbreak on the team, losing availability of a bunch of key layers for key games, and potentially fines and punishment of the Bills by the NFL.

Yes.  The potential for it snowballing is as varied as the personalities and individual situations in OBD.

Like I said, I hope is blows over and/or Cole realizes what his actions could produce for the team.

There is a month for all this to change before camp starts.

• Agree 1