Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

Just now, Pokebball said:

It actually does mean a lot in the actuarial sense.  But that's a rabbit hole we don't need to jump in.

If you look at Hapless’s post above about the Florida evidence, it’s more for the flu but only in the sense of a rounding error.

So if he does not get vaccinated and won’t follow the protocol, that means he will be barred from playing by the NFL?

I respect his right to not get the jab, but tossing away your chance at a SB for not following the rules your players union agreed to seems like bad decision.

Just now, blacklabel said:

I dunno, man. You don’t want the shot, don’t get it. But you don’t get to fart around and do things that can put your teammates at risk. 

if your teammates are vaccinated then how are they at risk?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Of course it is because the risk covid presents to children is negligible. That’s not my point. My point is that overall in public health terms writ large, covid is a far more deadly illness than the flu. The flu still kills very few children despite being more deadly than Covid for kids.

Right, but that’s the point.  There were many more restrictions for children than there ever was with fears from the flu.  Of course because it was a novel virus had a lot to do with it but even after it was very clear of the negligible risks to children many of the restrictions were still in place and are to this day.

The point which I mentioned earlier is that there should be a more appropriate cost- benefit outcome than what the NFL and NFLPA have come up with.  And I think what Cole has done is brought more attention to it.  I would venture to guess that There are many players reaching out to the union demanding change.  And rightfully so.  I’m not saying everything on that list of guidelines should be changed but definitely some of them serve negligible substantive protections.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

“there are a lot of problems today” isn’t even close to an excuse for setting up and propping up a position that will hurt solving an extremely urgent health issue. 

But you’re right we should always try to the best version of ourselves - that includes actually learning about things we previously only thought we knew about.

Im not setting up or Propping up anything. Nothing at all.  I'm not a politician ,I didn't sign any laws

And I'm vaccinated

I was just pointing out facts that states give you options. And not every group will always be happy because it's not perfect.. those are just facts

Edited by Buffalo716

The issue is of course bigger than Beas and therefore threatens to adversely impact the 2021 season IMO. Rumour has it that less than 50% of the WFT has been vaccinated. We don’t know what Josh Allen’s, and other stars’s, vaccination status is. Heaven forbid that any players should get really sick like Calais Campbell did. Even in the absence of symptoms, a period of compulsory quarantining can take a chunk out of a player’s availability. 

The protocols are really just an accommodation of the player’s right to not get vaccinated. Without them they would in all likelihood just be suspended.  Although football is a religion to many, no First Amendment freedom of religion argument and override of the conditions of employment is available here. 

So unless he changes his tune, and he won’t IMO, Beas is toast. Thats a shame. He’s one of the guys whose play I most admired.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nester said:

So if he does not get vaccinated and won’t follow the protocol, that means he will be barred from playing by the NFL?

I respect his right to not get the jab, but tossing away your chance at a SB for not following the rules your players union agreed to seems like bad decision.

No, it means he’s subject to discipline if found to have violated the protocol - such as fines. That is why he said he’s willing to essentially play for free if the fines pile up 

Edited by YoloinOhio

The thing to remember is that despite all the loud moral condemnations of the very vocal “pro shot” crowd, they hold the minority position. 

We’re still hovering around the 50% mark and of the 50% that took the shot, a significant portion of them did so to avoid the artificial, government enforced consequences, not because they felt they needed/wanted it.  

Beas holds the majority opinion and is not alone. Being loud doesn’t mean being right.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaggersEOD said:

The thing to remember is that despite all the loud moral condemnations of the very vocal “pro shot” crowd, they hold the minority position. 

We’re still hovering around the 50% mark and of the 50% that took the shot, a significant portion of them did so to avoid the artificial, government enforced consequences, not because they felt they needed/wanted it.  

Beas holds the majority opinion and is not alone. Being loud doesn’t mean being right.  

600,000+dead Americans makes it right IMO.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

If you look at Hapless’s post above about the Florida evidence, it’s more for the flu but only in the sense of a rounding error.

Well, we've got 75 yrs of data on the flu and what, 18 months of data on covid?  Generally, the flu attacks everyone.  Covid attacks the old, weak and otherwise compromised.  The actuarial data on covid will be most significant in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No but we let people unvaccinated for the flu everywhere. 

Covid is a new virus in which we haven’t developed any pre-existing immunity to it so people are much more susceptible.

Covid also has more long term effects.

Tommy Sweeney wouldn’t have missed the whole season for the flu.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

It was in reference to some who claim there is a natural immunity even if you never had Covid. And if you had it, immunity time can decrease based on age. My mother was in the hospital with Covid last November. She was told she could expect 2-4 months of immunity. She still got vaccinated to increase it. Such a simple action to safeguard herself and others.

Right, but we now know the immunity lasts considerably longer than that.  With that said, I am a big believer in data and the data conclusively shows that vaccines saves lives so even though someone had previously contracted COVID, if they decided to get the vaccine, I'm cool with that.  I don't believe it's necessary because of all the things that I had previously mentioned but there are some studies that show that it gives an additional boost of protection.

We are at the stage now that everything in my view should go back to normal with some adjustments.  The vaccine is available to virtually everyone who is vulnerable to the virus, so if anyone who catches the virus now and happens to have a bad outcome, they had the choice to take the vaccine.  In other words, the argument that "You are putting other people at risk" loses it's edge because the people who contract it, had the option to get the vaccine and they decided not to.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

RL, who are you kidding, you wear a seatbelt because of that annoying beeping. 😎😀

You see, it’s a complex issue. 

47 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There is a difference. In not wearing a seatbelt, you basically put yourself at risk but not others. 

Absolutely correct. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

@K-9,I had Covid twice: once last March (untested but just about ALL of the symptoms right after riding on the NYC subways right up through March 13 of 2020) and again in December (positive test), when it was worse (9 straight days of a fever between 101 and 102; loss of sense of taste/smell; physically out of sorts for another month-plus afterward). I have no idea how I got it the second time given that I was very careful (possibly my college-attending son), but the more contagious variant entered NYC in November, so that might explain it. I am fine now and in good health, but my sense of smell (not taste) is screwed up and may be forever changed (we’ll see; https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/15/health/covid-smells-food.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Health). To be fair, it’s not that big of a deal, but it’s certainly real. Anyway, the idea that you become naturally immune is silly, and I’m frankly tired of the sort of BS he’s spewing. It is utter nonsense. To reiterate, though, I really do love his game. 

Glad to hear you’re ok now. Sucks that you went thru that, but we can all value the the insight you bring to the issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Beach said:

if your teammates are vaccinated then how are they at risk?

That applies to teammates that are vaccinated. What percentage of teammates aren’t vaccinated? Are those that aren’t at higher risk or not?