Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah, OK.  Fair.

The bottom line is that we know adaptive immune response occurs, but we don't know how long the immunity lasts yet.

I thought this depended on the infectious agent itself mutating. Afaik, the biochemistry of the immune response is a kind of "lock and key" system.  The only way for the key that the immune system has to cease working is for the lock that is the infectious agent to change in some manner.  

Then again I'm not a virologist so who knows if I'm even right.  

Oh wait.  Woe is me.  I am supposed to verify all founts of knowledge personally and disregard experts like virologists.  Derp.  My bad Cole.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Westboro Baptist Church speaks their minds and stands by their principals do you have to respect them? If your principals are garbage you standing by them makes no difference to the merit of your argument. To clarify not necessarily saying that Cole's principals (which are dubious) are equivalent to the WBC but rather just standing by something add no value to it.

Comparing CB to Westboro Church? Lol @ you. What a dolt. I can’t believe some people. 

There are people for and against getting the vaccine who are perfectly reasonable.  Neither side is objectively correct.  It is a subjective decision people make as individuals about whether or not to get the vaccine.

Let people do their own thing and give them the benefit of the doubt that they might know what is best for them better than you do.

I personally took the vaccine.  I'm over 50 and I work in the ER.  I'm in a high risk environment almost daily.  If someone else chooses against the vaccine, that's their choice.  It has no bearing on me, I'm vaccinated and protected.  

Agree with Cole or disagree with Cole, but it's his choice not to get the vaccine just like it was my choice to get the vaccine.

People need to be civil and not attack someone for coming to a deferent decision about this highly subjective and personal issue.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

I do not understand the rationale of players like Beasley choosing not to get vaccinated.  It runs counter to medical science  and concern for the good of the community.  There are so many good reasons to get vaccinated and the reasons most people have for not getting vaccinated seem cockeyed to say the least.  As some have stated, yes, he has a right to not get the shot, but conversely, the league and society has the right to protect themselves from persons who choose to remain unvaccinated.  I'll be sorry if the team has to move on from him (not that they would cut him, but he could exercise his option to retire) because he's a good slot receiver, but unfortunate things happen occasionally.

Healthy people don’t need vaccinated from a virus that doesn’t really make them sick. These are professional athletes in great physical condition. They don’t need the vaccine. You can still acquire and spread the virus even if vaccinated. 🙄All of these restrictions make no sense. Anyone with common sense knows that. 

Edited by cantankerous
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There are people for and against getting the vaccine who are perfectly reasonableNeither side is objectively correct.  It is a subjective decision people make as individuals whether or not to get the vaccine.

Let people do their own thing and give them the benefit of the doubt that they might know what is best for them better than you do.

I personally took the vaccine.  I'm over 50 and I work in the ER.  I'm in a high risk environment almost daily.  If someone else chooses against the vaccine, that's their choice.  It has no bearing on me, I'm vaccinated and protected.  

Agree with Cole or disagree with Cole, but it's his choice just like it was my choice to get the vaccine.

People need to be civil and not attack someone for coming to a deferent decision about this highly subjective and personal issue.

Except one side acknowledges your point I underlined and are trying to understand more and more to try to close that gap. And the other side thinks they know everything already. 

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's crazy that you will just post a bold falsehood like this and not expect anyone to call you out on it. It took me all of 60 seconds to find and skim an article that directly contradicts you.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-covid-vaccine-animal-idUSL2N2NJ1IK

It's not even just that there's no evidence they skipped the trials as your link points out.

It's that results from preclinical tests in animals (we called them reg tox, or regulatory toxicology studies) are an expected precursor to an FDA-approved clinical trial.

No ***** Way would the FDA approve a clinical trial without reg tox data in hand.

Also, as was pointed out by Pennstate10, the results from the studies were published and are readily available.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Inigo, I've always been a big fan of your posts but I cannot count this to be one of them.  Vaccination is not a highly subjective or personal issue unless you have a genuine medical reason to avoid vaccination. 

Vaccination is a broader public health issue that goes beyond the individual.  

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Agree with Cole or disagree with Cole, but it's his choice just like it was my choice to get the vaccine.

The problem in this case isn't that he is choosing not to get the vaccine, but that he is choosing to openly break new NFL protocols for unvaccinated players. The first is indeed his personal choice; the second is a violation of NFL rules which will result in real consequences to Beasley and possibly the Bills. Beasley is the uncivil one in the way he's decided to handle this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Cantankerous just Scrooge McDuck diving into page 42 without reading anything, love it. 

And ignoring some Bills trivia, stating that healthy athletes will not be affected by COVID, (See Tommy Sweeny and COVID) as well. It's rather amazing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Capco said:

I thought this depended on the infectious agent itself mutating. Afaik, the biochemistry of the immune response is a kind of "lock and key" system.  The only way for the key that the immune system has to cease working is for the lock that is the infectious agent to change in some manner.  

Then again I'm not a virologist so who knows if I'm even right.  

Oh wait.  Woe is me.  I am supposed to verify all founts of knowledge personally and disregard experts like virologists.  Derp.  My bad Cole.  

The infectious agent mutating will impact the effectiveness of both natural immunity and of vaccination, if the lock mutates and no longer fits the key, as you say.

But the duration of immunity, immune memory if you would, is another variable.  Immunity to some diseases is lifelong - measles and smallpox are examples. 

Immunity to other diseases diminishes over time - the recommendation to get a tetanus booster every 10 years is an example of that, pertussis would be another.  To use your analogy, the lock is the same but the key has worn down.

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There are people for and against getting the vaccine who are perfectly reasonable.  Neither side is objectively correct.  It is a subjective decision people make as individuals about whether or not to get the vaccine.

Agree with Cole or disagree with Cole, but it's his choice not to get the vaccine just like it was my choice to get the vaccine.

It's not the decision to not be vaccinated which is contentious here.

It's the statement that he's not going to follow the protocols, he'll either accept to be fined to the point where he's playing for free or retire.

Retiring isn't a problem either (though I'd hate to see him go), but it's a leadership problem for a veteran to publicly declare he will flout the protocols.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

an excellent post worth your time to read IMO #CZECH54

First off, I will say that I am fully vaxxed and totally pro-vax.

At this point, anyone who wants to get the vaccine has had a fair opportunity. Heck, I have a 12 year old daughter, and she has gotten both shots and waited the 2 weeks as of today.

Honestly, if you don't want to get vaxxed and you get sick or die, I don't care. That was your choice and you are free to make that choice.

There really shouldn't be any more restrictions, because everyone that wants to be protected from Covid has had their chance. Life can resume now. If we lose a few thousand more people, oh well. Just as you are free to not get vaccinated, I should be free to live my life however I want to without restrictions.

I don't care if the virus spreads further amongst those that don't want to get vaccinated. I just don't care.

What I do care about is the Bills winning a ***** Super Bowl. And the best way to do that is with a full squad every week, and not missing games because some player test positive. So I would hope that the players recognize that getting the vaccine is actually the smartest thing for them, their health, and their career, but I also know that these guys aren't on the team because they did well in chemistry.

The issue with that is some people can't get vaccinated and have to rely on the rest of the group as a whole to get the vaccinated level high enough to protect them.

Also the more the virus is allowed to spread the more likely it is that it'll mutate in such away to get around the current vaccines.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

alot of fan loyalty going on here for a guy whos making personal decisions and has done all he can to better our franchise.

unreal.

i hope he does what he feels right for himself and his family regardless what that might be and hope to see him in uniform for this team...period.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, cantankerous said:

Healthy people don’t need vaccinated from a virus that doesn’t really make them sick. These are professional athletes in great physical condition. They don’t need the vaccine.

As has been pointed out many many times, Tommy Sweeney is an example of the complications that can arise:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/inside-the-bills-tommy-sweeney-details-long-road-back-from-covid-19-myocarditis-diagnosis/article_9433e158-c94c-11eb-b89d-83ebb85de600.html

Doctors discovered an abnormality during an echocardiogram that was required before Sweeney could return to the field. Further consultation with other cardiologists confirmed that Sweeney was suffering from myocarditis, a rare but potentially serious side effect of Covid-19. Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle that can reduce the organ’s ability to pump and cause rapid or abnormal beating. Left untreated, it can cause permanent heart damage or even cardiac arrest.

Sweeney’s 2020 season was immediately shut down. He was ordered to refrain from any sort of physical exertion for three months – a prolonged period of isolation that’s completely foreign to a professional athlete.

“The walls were closing in,” Sweeney said. “It sucked. Every little thing every day, I had to make sure I wasn't doing too much, exerting myself too much. So just being cautious at all times. The worst part was we were having such a good year. I'm happy, that was awesome, but watching it from the couch instead of being out there with the team was the worst part.”

The article mentions a study that found 5 of 789 professional athletes who tested positive for covid ended up developing inflammatory heart disease. That's a 0.63% rate which is a lot higher than 0%. That would mean for every 158 players that test positive for covid you would expect 1 to develop inflammatory heart disease. The NFL has about 1,700 players on active rosters plus practice squad players, coaches, and other staff. They have a vested interest in making sure the league doesn't suffer a major covid outbreak.

Another even scarier example from an Atlanta Braves player:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/braves/2020/07/18/braves-freddie-freeman-describes-covid-battle-please-dont-take-me/5465904002/

At one point, Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman's battle with COVID-19 was so scary, he said he prayed: "Please don't take me."

Freeman was cleared to return to the Braves on Friday, two weeks after originally testing positive for the virus.

Saturday afternoon, Freeman detailed to reporters his harrowing experience with the virus. He originally tested negative in early July but began feeling sick on July 2. On the night of July 3, his fever jumped to 104.5 degrees, and he nearly went to the hospital.

"That was the scariest night for me," Freeman said. "I spiked to 104.5 fever. So thankfully ... two minutes after that, I gunned my forehead again, I was 103.8, I was 103.2 then 103.6. I was like, 'If I go above 104 again, I'll probably just start ringing the phone, try to figure this out.'

"But I said a little prayer that night, cause I've never been that hot before. My body was really, really hot so I said, 'Please don't take me.' I wasn't ready."

So it is not correct to say that professional athletes do not need the covid vaccine. Are they lower risk, yes. But the risk is still there.

On the other hand I don't believe there have been any cases of a professional athlete suffering anything more than the usual short term side effects of the vaccine, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The infectious agent mutating will impact the effectiveness of both natural immunity and of vaccination, if the lock mutates and no longer fits the key, as you say.

But the duration of immunity, immune memory if you would, is another variable.  Immunity to some diseases is lifelong - measles and smallpox are examples. 

Immunity to other diseases diminishes over time - the recommendation to get a tetanus booster every 10 years is an example of that, pertussis would be another.  To use your analogy, the lock is the same but the key has worn down.

It's not the decision to not be vaccinated which is contentious here.

It's the statement that he's not going to follow the protocols, he'll either accept to be fined to the point where he's playing for free or retire.

Retiring isn't a problem either (though I'd hate to see him go), but it's a leadership problem for a veteran to publicly declare he will flout the protocols.

Is there any way to make that a heading at the top of this thread? I have seen you type out that statement quite a few times now.

Edited by Reader

13 minutes ago, Capco said:

Inigo, I've always been a big fan of your posts but I cannot count this to be one of them.  Vaccination is not a highly subjective or personal issue unless you have a genuine medical reason to avoid vaccination. 

Vaccination is a broader public health issue that goes beyond the individual.  

I can agree with the bolded. 

It can still be highly subjective, sensative, and personal at the same time which makes the pandemic we are facing so complex and challenging IMO.