Cole Beasley announces he will not be following Covid protocols, willing to retire

Process

1 minute ago, MJS said:

So I guess his problem stems from all of the requirements for unvaccinated players, like they have to be tested daily and wear masks and everything?

I guess we'll see where this goes...

Judging from what he posted, his biggest issue seemed to be restrictions on visits from family members or travel to see family members (?), or restriction on his own social life outside of football.

But, earlier I took his stated concern for vaccinated players who went out for dinner posing an infection risk to him, at face value. 

Now it seems he isn't worried about being infected, he just doesn't either want to follow the unvaccinated player protocols OR be vaccinated.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm more concerned by this:

I believe Beane and McDermott officially have a Big-Ass Problem.

Bills WR bro mentality standing up for his football brother #rideordie that's how it reads to me

Edited by ~Kostabi~

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He also said he’d play for free, but that’s not  as flashy of a title

Do you think that's a realistic choice?  First of all, the NFL has player minimum salaries.  He can't play "For free".

So what he means is, he's willing to be fined to the point of it taking his entire game check of $260,000 for repeatedly violating protocols.

But is that realistic, on a team, to have a player who is regularly and repeatedly violating the rules on ANY topic?  I can't think of a case where one  team member (in the work teams I was involved with) was perceived as regularly violating rules that applied to anyone else, and it didn't have a horribly detrimental effect on morale and teamwork?

Especially if he becomes a lightening rod for the disaffection of younger players

It's a problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) Yes, the vaccines are highly effective at preventing death or serious disease.  They also significantly reduce the chances of any infection and decrease transmission

2) Players who are not dead and do not have serious disease can still be unavailable for multiple NFL games because they are infected and take a couple weeks to recover, or have their quality of play impacted (Garrett), or be sidelined for the season (Sweeney). 

3) The NFL/clubs don't want players to be unavailable

4) NFLPA has taken the position that they don't want their members to be infected/impacted, therefore they wanted daily testing and protocols last year.

5) Unvaccinated players are basically in the same spot that they were in last year.

Now, if the NFLPA members strongly conveyed to their leadership "we don't GAF if we catch covid, we'll take that risk, throw out the protocols and anyone who cares can get vaxxed", that would be different -

Either that belief is not held by the majority of NFLPA members OR the majority have not properly conveyed it, OR the NFL clubs completely refused to accept it.

"Stopping any chance at potential spread" is not at question.

Sorry, should’ve clarified a bit but I was referring to the overall attitude of society as a whole regarding the current state of the pandemic. And yes, i know that’s a big generalization, it makes sense in my head though 😂.

Yes, I do agree with your points relating to the union / league part and why they have settled on those protocols and procedures. My wife is an attorney that specializes in labor law / collective bargaining so totally get why it can’t all fit into a neat little box for all parties. 

I may personally agree with Cole’s stance on the issue but I don’t also agree with how he’s going about it right now. You can’t go that route and expect there to be no repercussions. 

Count me as one in more of the “I got it to avoid all the bs” crowd when it came to the shot. Sorry Cole, but sometimes you “have” to do things you don’t necessarily agree with to avoid the pain in the ass factor. (Welcome to the working world for 99% of the rest of us!)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If the NFL/NFLPA protocols are being driven by "public perception", then you have a point.  The NFLPA leaders are asserting in their press releases that the players don't want to get sick with covid-19 and want the NFL to have protocols to protect them from infection.  There is evidence of long term impacts on athletes from mild or asymptomatic infections, including 5 out of 729 infected pro athletes who acquired myocarditis/pericarditis that lasted more than a couple weeks last season.  That's 0.7%, way higher than any incidence from vaccines, and that's only one effect - it's not the lasting pulmonary effects that Myles Garrett had and so forth.  

I think the stance that NFLPA has legitimate health concerns deserves the benefit of the doubt as being genuine at this time.

I doubt the players are that concerned.  Sounds like corporate-speak on behalf of the NFLPA. 

Let’s say, for arguments sake, this is true... Are they going to have COVID protocols permanently?   We have a vaccine that people can take or not take... just like the flu vaccine.   And just like the flu, Coronaviruses are always present.   

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Everyone already knows they stick together. Airing all this out in public is something different.

The team can no longer hide behind their flimsy "we agreed as a team to not talk about it", and I hope the press goes at all of them for answers to difficult questions.

McD close to losing his grip on all of this. If he even ever had one.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The team can no longer hide behind their flimsy "we agreed as a team to not talk about it", and I hope the press goes at all of them for answers to difficult questions.

McD close to losing his grip on all of this. If he even ever had one.

It looks awful. Lack of leadership, lack of accountability, lack of cohesion, lack of basically everything outside winning that makes pulling for your team enjoyable.

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, Boxcar said:

There's a legitimate debate about forced vaccinations in regards to public safety, but we aren't having it. What's the mortality rate threshold a disease has to hit? How infectious must it be? How effective is the vaccine? Instead, we shame people for not "following the science" and just doing as they are told.

Just so I'm not accused, I have gotten my first shot (Canada sucks) and am booked to get my second but I will not be treating people differently based on whether they are vaccinated or not and I think people who do are gross.

I sure hope this post isn't too political since this opinion is contrary to that of some moderators. This applies fully to Beasley's situation.

I also dont want this to go down a political road.....hence it will get shut down

The bottom line is when you make a choice that can potentially affect those around you........that also is not right.  I have plenty of family that do not want to get vaxed right here in California......so I get it because well....they are my family and I love them....however those same family would not come to see me until I GOT vaxed for MY safety.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

It looks awful. Lack of leadership, lack of accountability, lack of cohesion, lack of basically everything outside winning that makes pulling for your team enjoyable.

Like I said in the other thread, BB in prime "Patriot Way" dynasty era would have bounced this #3WR from the roster on his first tweet.

And not for the contents of the tweets or for his POV, but because he broke the team agreement that they wouldnt talk about it so it didnt become a distraction.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Like I said in the other thread, BB in prime "Patriot Way" dynasty era would have bounced this #3WR from the roster on his first tweet.

Point on the doll where Cole touched you

Just now, SCBills said:

I doubt the players are that concerned.  Sounds like corporate-speak on behalf of the NFLPA. 

I don't know.  I would expect the players to mirror society, wouldn't you?  The NFLPA is supposed to have leadership elected by players and player representatives from each team, so it really ought to reflect the concerns of the membership.

I wouldn't expect it to be the viewpoint of all the players, but I would expect a significant number of the players to be concerned - the Big Guys or others who are at higher risk, players who have at-risk relatives or who have otherwise been touched by this.  Maybe I'm wrong and you're right and it's all "corporate speak", but JC Tretter made a big thing about it in their "no OTAs" bit and also last year, when the league was proposing to return and the players staged that "we want to play but..." campaign pushing the NFL for clarity in the protocols to be followed.

We aren't gonna be discussing how Sars-Cov2 differs from common coronaviruses that have been circulating here.  Elsewhere with that.

• Agree 1

Someone sit him down, go over the actual data and science and not the crap idiots post on social media, and I think he’d get vaccinated.  Best team we’ve had in years, a real Lombardi contender, and the team is going to get ruined by political horse crap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Let’s say, for arguments sake, this is true... Are they going to have COVID protocols permanently?   We have a vaccine that people can take or not take... just like the flu vaccine.   And just like the flu, Coronaviruses are always present.   

I'm going to guess that it will coincide with overall death rates. More people died of Covid in the US in one year than the total amount of US soldiers that died during both WWI and WWII. 

So if / when the number of fatalities lower to flu like rather than world war like, is probably when the restrictions will be gone... We just don't know when that will be.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

Vaccinated or not…. It’s time to move on. If not, stay at home.

Not saying this out of ignorance, just saying there are 10s of millions of Americans that want to move on with there lives and there’s a handful that are still scared or feel the government should be telling us what to do.

im vaccinated but I also feel unvaccinated should be able to do what they want….. it ain’t hard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know.  I would expect the players to mirror society, wouldn't you?  The NFLPA is supposed to have leadership elected by players and player representatives from each team, so it really ought to reflect the concerns of the membership.

I wouldn't expect it to be the viewpoint of all the players, but I would expect a significant number of the players to be concerned - the Big Guys or others who are at higher risk, players who have at-risk relatives or who have otherwise been touched by this.  Maybe I'm wrong and you're right and it's all "corporate speak", but JC Tretter made a big thing about it in their "no OTAs" bit and also last year, when the league was proposing to return and the players staged that "we want to play but..." campaign pushing the NFL for clarity in the protocols to be followed.

We aren't gonna be discussing how Sars-Cov2 differs from common coronaviruses that have been circulating here.  Elsewhere with that.

We don’t need to discuss that... I’m simply asking if you, or anyone else here, believes the NFL is going to adopt this vision on COVID every year in permanence?

if not, it’s all show.